|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles Lewis as he works?
(a) The sound of the doorbell.
(b) A dog barking.
(c) A bird at the window.
(d) The sensation that someone is in the room.
2. As scene 5 opens, Lewis and Warnie are preparing for what?
(a) A trip to France.
(b) Joy's visit.
(d) A lecture at Oxford.
3. What does C.S. Lewis enter with?
(a) A briefcase.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A cat.
4. What does Lewis' participation in the marriage indicate?
(a) His tenderness toward Joy.
(b) His wish to have children.
(c) His desire not to be alone.
(d) His protection of Warnie.
5. What are the guests surprised to learn?
(a) That Lewis and Warnie are going to sell their house.
(b) That Warnie has been seeing a woman socially.
(c) That Joy and Douglas are visiting again.
(d) That Lewis has published a new book.
6. Why does Lewis not join Warnie?
(a) He has to get back to school.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He is angry with Warnie.
(d) He has to meet with his publisher.
7. What does Lewis encourage Warnie to do?
(a) Join him in meeting Joy.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Marry the woman he's been seeing.
(d) Visit the United States.
8. What does Warnie do as he and Lewis talk?
(a) Reads the newspaper.
(b) Drinks coffee.
(c) Gets dressed.
(d) Cleans the window.
9. What topic does Warnie bring up?
(a) Joy's book.
(b) Joy's move.
(c) Lewis' love for Joy.
10. What does Warnie offer to Joy?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To watch Douglas for her.
(c) To take her for a drink.
(d) Money to go back to New York.
11. How did Lewis respond to Joy's request?
(a) He agrees.
(b) He ends their friendship.
(c) He says no.
(d) He tells her to wait for a while.
12. Lewis says that life is what?
(a) A caterpiller becoming a butterfly.
(b) A testing ground for God's children.
(c) A mere shadow of the next.
(d) A series of misfortunate events.
13. Lewis and Warnie joke about Joy's what?
(c) Love of books.
14. Who enters the room as Lewis and Warnie talk?
15. What does Lewis do to help ease the tension between him and Joy?
(a) Picks Joy a flower.
(b) Leaves the room.
(c) Helps Joy unpack.
(d) Asks about Douglas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joy ask of Lewis?
2. Joy shares a national award with whom?
3. In what decade is the play set?
4. How does Warnie feel about this news?
5. In what country is the play set?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)