|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara helps the Crows and Shadow Love with which of the following?
2. What word is used to describe Barbara?
3. How long did Davenport have to wait?
4. What emotion causes Lily to cry?
5. What is Drake's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Davenport feel less than effective in the case?
2. What do Davenport and Lily see along the road on their way back to the city?
3. How does Shadow escape from the hotel? What does he do next?
4. Why does Daniel order secrecy surrounding the sting at the Crows' apartment?
5. What is the news Daniel delivers when he calls Davenport and Lily?
6. Discuss the mysterious phone call received by Davenport. What happens next?
7. What is Barbara's opinion and input on the situation?
8. How do the Crows learn about the sting?
9. What happens when Davenport arrives at home to speak with Jennifer?
10. How do Davenport and Del get information about the whereabouts of the Crows and the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a love triangle between Davenport, Jennifer, and Lily. Discuss the nature of the love triangle. Who is the most involved in the relationship? Who has the strongest relationship? Is anyone being tricked? How does Davenport feel about each woman? How do you think the story might have ended if Lily had stayed in Minneapolis? Do you think Jennifer will forgive Davenport? Do you think Davenport will still try to marry Jennifer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sandford's use of Minnesota for the setting in the Lucas Davenport series. Why do you think Sandford chose Minnesota? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? Do you think Sandford was accurate in portraying the Sioux community? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than Minnesota? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by Davenport and the rest of the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are many references to the dead throughout the book particularly when it comes to the vengeance of the Sioux. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce the nature of the tribe and its history? Do you think the use of the dead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you had an experience with one of the spirits of your ancestors? What did it mean when Aaron said he "could feel the bones?" Explain.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)