|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aaron claims he can hear the ____.
2. What are the names of the two cousins?
3. What is the word used to describe bureaucratic red tape?
4. What is the name of the teenager being interviewed by Davenport?
5. What does Clay do after recovering from his injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of the argument between Lily and Davenport?
2. Discuss at least two of the pieces of bad news Daniel and others deliver to Davenport.
3. Examine the mission assigned to Billy Hood. How does Hood feel about the assignment?
4. Discuss at least one of the arguments between Davenport and Kieffer.
5. Who are Larry and Carl Reed? What is their crime?
6. Who is Leo Clark and what is his role in the story?
7. Discuss the situation with John Liss.
8. Who is the character known as "Clay?"
9. How is Hood's address discovered? What do Lily and Davenport do when they get information about Hood's whereabouts?
10. Explain the scene in the Crows' apartment when Billy Hood arrives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a love triangle between Davenport, Jennifer, and Lily. Discuss the nature of the love triangle. Who is the most involved in the relationship? Who has the strongest relationship? Is anyone being tricked? How does Davenport feel about each woman? How do you think the story might have ended if Lily had stayed in Minneapolis? Do you think Jennifer will forgive Davenport? Do you think Davenport will still try to marry Jennifer?
Essay Topic 2
The murderers were counting on the case running smoothly because of the involvement of the regular police. The murderers become alarmed when they recognize Davenport. What was the difference between the police solving the crime and the case being solved by Davenport? How do the killers refer to Davenport? Is the assessment accurate? Explain. Do you think the Sioux did anything differently because of Davenport's presence? Are the Sioux more intimidated by Davenport or the FBI? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are many references to the dead throughout the book particularly when it comes to the vengeance of the Sioux. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce the nature of the tribe and its history? Do you think the use of the dead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you had an experience with one of the spirits of your ancestors? What did it mean when Aaron said he "could feel the bones?" Explain.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)