|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the Scout?
2. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
3. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
4. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
5. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the seventh battle?
2. How does Eteocles view women, especially the Chorus?
3. What is the significance of Amphiaraos' shield?
4. Give an example of how imagery is used in part 2.
5. Why is it important that the Scout find out about Polyneice's army?
6. Compare and contrast Eteocles' feelings to for his city to how he actually treats his city.
7. Were Oedipus and Jocasta's reaction to their incestuous relations justified? Explain.
8. What is the significance of the attacking general Eteoklos, having a name that is similar to Eteocles?
9. Describe the theme of fate as depicted in part 2 of the play.
10. Describe the theme of free will as it is depicted in part 1 of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the Oracle of Apollo to the relationship between Lauis and Oedipus.
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion and prayer play in Seven Against Thebes? Give a detailed example.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the power of law represented in Seven Against Thebes. What power and limitations exists within the legal system? How do these laws directly affect Antigone?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)