|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
2. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
3. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
4. The imagery in general represents a basic element of the Greek philosophy of ________.
5. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the overall mood of part 2.
2. Give an example of how religion is utilized in part 1 of the play.
3. Give an example of how imagery is used in part 2.
4. How is Eteocles' story and actions echo Oedipus' story and actions?
5. What is the significance of the seventh battle?
6. How is the sense of sound used in part 2?
7. How is the theme of possession and control shown in part 2?
8. How are women treated during wartime according to part 1 of the play? Why do you think women were treated in the manner?
9. Describe the theme of free will as it is depicted in part 1 of the play.
10. Describe Laius' character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the Oracle of Apollo to the relationship between Lauis and Oedipus.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power of law represented in Seven Against Thebes. What power and limitations exists within the legal system? How do these laws directly affect Antigone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the Scout. Describe the relationship between the Scout and Eteocles.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)