|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
2. What does Eteocles compare his position to?
3. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
4. Who is the King of Thebes in the beginning of the Background?
5. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast men and women's views of battle.
2. Give an examples of how imagery is used in part 3 of the play.
3. Describe the relationship between Eteocles and Polyneices.
4. How does the Chorus use their senses to illustrate their fears of the war?
5. Describe Laius' reaction to the Oracle's foreshadowing of Oedipus' life. Was his reaction justified? Explain.
6. Compare and contrast Eteocles' feelings to for his city to how he actually treats his city.
7. Compare and contrast Antigone and Ismene.
8. Describe the theme of fate as depicted in part 2 of the play.
9. According to the Chorus, how are old women and young virgins equal victims for the attacking army?
10. Describe the theme of free will as it is depicted in part 1 of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail one of the seven battle match-ups. Who was fighting? What was on the enemy's shield? Why did Eteocles match his general with this particular enemy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the following quote, "The grief for kindred is the bond and link of mankind, common to all, unchanging." Who spoke these words and do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the power of law represented in Seven Against Thebes. What power and limitations exists within the legal system? How do these laws directly affect Antigone?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)