|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two plays leading up to "Seven Against Thebes" named?
2. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
3. What is the name of Laius' son?
4. What is the name of the prophet that has foreseen the armies of Argos attacking Thebes soon?
5. Human beings are metaphorically represented by ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who says, "If the gods [demand] evil, no man can evade it?" To whom is this character saying that to? What is this character referring to?
2. Why is it important that the Scout find out about Polyneice's army?
3. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
4. Why does Eteocles make the Chorus change the way they pray? What was the Chorus praying about? What does Eteocles suggest the Chorus pray for?
5. How are women treated during wartime according to part 1 of the play? Why do you think women were treated in the manner?
6. What is the significance of the approaching army setting up their own memorial for their families back home?
7. How is the sense of sound used in part 2?
8. According to the Chorus, how are old women and young virgins equal victims for the attacking army?
9. What is the importance of the Oracle of Apollo?
10. What is a dirge? Who says the dirge and for what reason was it used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the idea of battle and war differ between men and women?
Essay Topic 2
Give two examples that exemplify the power of the curse over the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the Scout. Describe the relationship between the Scout and Eteocles.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)