|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two plays leading up to "Seven Against Thebes" named?
2. The image of Thebes is of a ________.
3. Who kills Oedipus' adopted father in the Background section of the play?
4. What is a Spinx?
5. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the city of Thebes most like a "mother" to her people?
2. What is the purpose of the Chorus of Women? What information does the Chorus reveal to the audience?
3. Describe the theme of blindness.
4. Describe the genre and tone of the overall play.
5. What is a dirge? Who says the dirge and for what reason was it used?
6. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
7. Why did the Oracle of Apollo punish Laius and what was his punishment?
8. Compare and contrast Antigone and Ismene.
9. Why do you think we are told what is on the shields of the attacking enemy but not what is on Eteocles' general's shields?
10. What is the role of the Scout? In your opinion is this character important to the play? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of symbols as exemplified by the enemy shields.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail one of the seven battle match-ups. Who was fighting? What was on the enemy's shield? Why did Eteocles match his general with this particular enemy?
Essay Topic 3
Give two examples that exemplify the power of the curse over the characters in the play.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)