|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
2. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
3. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
4. What is the name of Laius' son?
5. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the theme of blindness.
2. Give an example of how imagery is used in part 2.
3. Give an examples of how imagery is used in part 3 of the play.
4. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
5. What is the significance of the fifth general possessing the shield that has a picture of the Sphinx?
6. Why does Eteocles say he is so angry with the Chorus in the beginning of part 2?
7. How is the sense of sound used in part 2?
8. Describe the genre and tone of the overall play.
9. Why do you think Eteocles makes no comment regarding the attacking general Eteoklos but immediately sends out his general?
10. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Eteocles and Polyneices kill each other, it is said that the curse is destroyed and the city of Thebes would prosper again. Why would this be ironic to the Greek audience at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the Scout. Describe the relationship between the Scout and Eteocles.
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion and prayer play in Seven Against Thebes? Give a detailed example.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)