|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a group of individual actors speaking with the thoughts, emotions, and reactions of a single character?
2. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
3. The people of Thebes regard Oedipus as a ________.
4. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
5. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Eteocles' feelings to for his city to how he actually treats his city.
2. What is the significance of the seventh battle?
3. How is the sense of sound used in part 2?
4. How is the city of Thebes most like a "mother" to her people?
5. What is the significance of Amphiaraos' shield?
6. Compare and contrast men and women's views of battle.
7. Why does the Chorus speak of Jocasta in part 4?
8. Give an example of how rebellion and defiance occurs within part 4.
9. What is the importance of the Oracle of Apollo?
10. Why does Eteocles make the Chorus change the way they pray? What was the Chorus praying about? What does Eteocles suggest the Chorus pray for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the idea of battle and war differ between men and women?
Essay Topic 2
After Eteocles and Polyneices kill each other, it is said that the curse is destroyed and the city of Thebes would prosper again. Why would this be ironic to the Greek audience at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Seven Against Thebes is set in a male-dominated society full of violence and war. What role do women play in this society?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)