|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
2. Who is the King of Thebes in the beginning of the Background?
3. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
4. The people of Thebes regard Oedipus as a ________.
5. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony behind Oedipus solving "the Riddle of the Sphinx with his brilliance" ?
2. Give an example of how religion is utilized in part 1 of the play.
3. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
4. Why does the Chorus give an ode at the end of part 3?
5. Compare and contrast Eteocles' feelings to for his city to how he actually treats his city.
6. Describe Laius' character.
7. Compare and contrast Antigone and Ismene.
8. Describe the theme of free will as it is depicted in part 1 of the play.
9. Why does the Chorus speak of Jocasta in part 4?
10. How is the city of Thebes most like a "mother" to her people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seven Against Thebes is set in a male-dominated society full of violence and war. What role do women play in this society?
Essay Topic 2
Give two examples that exemplify the power of the curse over the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail one of the seven battle match-ups. Who was fighting? What was on the enemy's shield? Why did Eteocles match his general with this particular enemy?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)