|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on is part of their background as a ____________.
2. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
3. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
4. The imagery in general represents a basic element of the Greek philosophy of ________.
5. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Chorus speak of Jocasta in part 4?
2. Describe Laius' character.
3. How do you think Eteocles is like a captain of a ship?
4. What is the significance of Amphiaraos' shield?
5. Why was it important that Oedipus solved the Riddle of the Sphinx?
6. Give an example of how imagery is used in part 2.
7. What is a dirge? Who says the dirge and for what reason was it used?
8. Give an example of how religion is utilized in part 1 of the play.
9. Give an examples of how imagery is used in part 3 of the play.
10. Why do you think the death of Eteocles and Polyneices is referred to as an "occassion for both rejoicing and weeping"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the power of law represented in Seven Against Thebes. What power and limitations exists within the legal system? How do these laws directly affect Antigone?
Essay Topic 2
After Eteocles and Polyneices kill each other, it is said that the curse is destroyed and the city of Thebes would prosper again. Why would this be ironic to the Greek audience at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of symbols as exemplified by the enemy shields.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)