|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
2. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
3. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
4. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
5. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Eteocles is like a captain of a ship?
2. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
3. How is the theme of possession and control shown in part 2?
4. Compare and contrast Eteocles' feelings to for his city to how he actually treats his city.
5. Why does Eteocles say he is so angry with the Chorus in the beginning of part 2?
6. What is the significance of Polyneices going to Argos and marrying a princess?
7. Give an examples of how imagery is used in part 3 of the play.
8. Why would the audience of this play find it ironic that Antigone and Ismene lived in the prospering city of Thebes?
9. What is the significance of Amphiaraos' shield?
10. In part 1 of the play, who describes the imagery of the waves? What do the waves represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of: King Laius, King Oedipus, and King Eteocles.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of fear as presented in the play. Describe the Chorus' fear. Is their fear justified?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of blindness and bad judgment in the play Seven Against Thebes.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)