|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
2. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
3. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
4. What is a Spinx?
5. Who runs on with news that the seven powerful generals of the attacking army have performed a blood sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a dirge? Who says the dirge and for what reason was it used?
2. What threat does Eteocles give to the citizens of Thebes? Why do you think Eteocles threatens the citizens?
3. What is the purpose of the Chorus of Women? What information does the Chorus reveal to the audience?
4. Which generals' match-up do you feel was the most unfair? Explain.
5. Why do you think Eteocles makes no comment regarding the attacking general Eteoklos but immediately sends out his general?
6. How is the theme of possession and control shown in part 2?
7. What is the significance of the fifth general possessing the shield that has a picture of the Sphinx?
8. Describe the theme of blindness.
9. Describe the overall mood of part 2.
10. How are women treated during wartime according to part 1 of the play? Why do you think women were treated in the manner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail one of the seven battle match-ups. Who was fighting? What was on the enemy's shield? Why did Eteocles match his general with this particular enemy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of blindness and bad judgment in the play Seven Against Thebes.
Essay Topic 3
Seven Against Thebes is set in a male-dominated society full of violence and war. What role do women play in this society?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)