|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two plays leading up to "Seven Against Thebes" named?
2. Any citizen in the _____ would know the story, or myth, that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on.
3. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
4. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
5. Who solves the Riddle of the Spinx?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Laius' reaction to the Oracle's foreshadowing of Oedipus' life. Was his reaction justified? Explain.
2. Describe the theme of blindness.
3. What is the significance of Amphiaraos' shield?
4. How do you think Eteocles is like a captain of a ship?
5. Why does the Chorus give an ode at the end of part 3?
6. Compare and contrast men and women's views of battle.
7. How is the theme of family portrayed in this play?
8. Why do you think Eteocles makes no comment regarding the attacking general Eteoklos but immediately sends out his general?
9. Describe Laius' character.
10. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give two examples that exemplify the power of the curse over the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
After Eteocles and Polyneices kill each other, it is said that the curse is destroyed and the city of Thebes would prosper again. Why would this be ironic to the Greek audience at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail one of the seven battle match-ups. Who was fighting? What was on the enemy's shield? Why did Eteocles match his general with this particular enemy?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)