|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
2. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
3. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
4. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
5. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of how religion is utilized in part 1 of the play.
2. Why does Eteocles make the Chorus change the way they pray? What was the Chorus praying about? What does Eteocles suggest the Chorus pray for?
3. Give an example of how imagery is used in part 2.
4. How does the Chorus use their senses to illustrate their fears of the war?
5. Describe the theme of fate as depicted in part 2 of the play.
6. How does Eteocles view women, especially the Chorus?
7. Which generals' match-up do you feel was the most unfair? Explain.
8. In part 1 of the play, who describes the imagery of the waves? What do the waves represent?
9. Compare and contrast men and women's views of battle.
10. Describe the theme of blindness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Eteocles and Polyneices kill each other, it is said that the curse is destroyed and the city of Thebes would prosper again. Why would this be ironic to the Greek audience at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power of law represented in Seven Against Thebes. What power and limitations exists within the legal system? How do these laws directly affect Antigone?
Essay Topic 3
How does the idea of battle and war differ between men and women?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)