|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eteocles reaction was so extreme to whom because of his angry determination to save and protect the city?
(a) The women.
(b) His army.
(c) King of Argos.
2. Who promises to "bring this man [Polyneices] to his harbor, and he shall enjoy his father's city?"
3. What is the name of the fire-breathing monster on the 4th general's shield?
4. The Chorus briefly gives in to fear and imagines what will happen to the city if what occurs?
(a) The enemy loses.
(b) The enemy never shows.
(c) The enemy wins.
(d) They join the army.
5. Who says, "The sins of the father [are] visited upon the son?"
(a) The Fury.
(b) The Spinx.
(c) The Oracle.
(d) The Bible.
6. The principle contrast in Part 2 is between what two objects?
7. "White haired" women, "housewives," and young virgins are all described to be ___________.
(a) Equal victims.
(b) Equal beings.
(c) Equal culprits.
(d) Equal criminals.
8. Why does the Chorus say that they come to the square to pray?
(a) So the Gods will protect Eteocles.
(b) So the Gods can fight the enemies.
(c) So the Gods can defend their city.
(d) So the Gods will protect the women.
9. How does Eteocles try to calm the Chorus in Part 2?
(a) He gives them a formal prayer to offer the gods.
(b) He tells them to get out of Thebes.
(c) He tells them all is well.
(d) He doesn't.
10. Who does Eteocles send to face Tydeus?
11. To try to escape the will of the gods is considered ___________.
12. The principle contrast in Part 2 represents traditional male and female differences in the thought about __________.
13. Who is the third general described as leading a cavalry of horses, which makes an arrogant, inhuman noise?
14. Traditionally, women are more concerned with _________.
(a) Their social standing.
(b) Raising the children.
(c) Their appearance.
(d) What happens after the battle.
15. Who represents Eteocles' own blindness and bad judgment?
(a) The Spinx.
(b) The soul.
(d) The mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who urges Eteocles not to "take on the violence of your brother?"
2. Who is the second general that says that he will destroy the city whether it is the gods' will or not?
3. The Chorus formally pray to Zeus and the other gods, asking them _____________.
4. Who says, "When they are brave, they are insolent and intolerable, and when they are frightened, they are rash and dangerous?"
5. What does Eteocles suggest the Chorus pray about?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)