|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What imagery does the Chorus use to illustrate the situation of Eteocles and his family?
(a) The waves.
(b) A ship.
(c) The throne.
(d) The ocean.
2. Whose shield bears the image of a man climbing a ladder and shouting that not even Ares will knock him off it?
3. What emblem is on Tydeus' shield?
4. Eteocles' refusal to respect his agreement with Polyneices indicates his desire to ___________.
(a) Possess and control the city.
(b) Have world domination.
(c) Anger his brother.
(d) Disown his brother.
5. Who is the second general Eteocles sends out?
6. Who does Eteocles promise to put in prison if they do not obey him and bravely face the danger of war?
(a) Any citizen.
7. Who is Tydeus?
(a) The 1st enemy general.
(b) A giant.
(c) The son of Thebes.
(d) Eteocles' general.
8. How does Eteocles try to calm the Chorus in Part 2?
(a) He tells them all is well.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) He gives them a formal prayer to offer the gods.
(d) He tells them to get out of Thebes.
9. What is on Kapaneus' shield?
(a) A man armed with a torch.
(b) A man armed with a sword.
(c) A man armed with a club.
(d) A man armed with a bow and arrow.
10. Who states, "if the gods [demand] evil, no man can evade it?"
(a) The Messenger.
(c) The Chorus.
11. Who prays to the gods to guide and inspire Eteocles' generals to victory?
(a) The Scout.
(b) The Messenger.
(d) The Chorus.
12. Who does Eteocles send to face Tydeus?
13. Eteocles and the Chorus express themselves through which literary element?
14. Eteocles instructs the Chorus to pray for ________ instead of safety?
15. Who is nicknamed "Killer of many?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the fourth general the Scout describes as constantly shouting out his war cry and acting almost insane with blood lust?
2. Who does Eteocle appoint as the last and head general?
3. What term does Eteocles and the Chorus use to describe the city of Thebes?
4. The theme of the play is based on what two stories?
5. Eteocles' story and actions echo the story and actions of which other story?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)