|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eteocles' story and actions echo the story and actions of which other story?
(c) King of Argos.
2. Amphiaraos is all of the following except:
(a) A prophet.
(b) The oldest general.
(c) The 6th general.
(d) The one who wanted to call of the attack.
3. How does Eteocles try to calm the Chorus in Part 2?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) He gives them a formal prayer to offer the gods.
(c) He tells them to get out of Thebes.
(d) He tells them all is well.
4. "White haired" women, "housewives," and young virgins are all described to be ___________.
(a) Equal criminals.
(b) Equal victims.
(c) Equal beings.
(d) Equal culprits.
5. Who says, "The sins of the father [are] visited upon the son?"
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Oracle.
(c) The Fury.
(d) The Spinx.
6. According to the Chorus, what are the Gods a source of?
7. Because of Eteocles' suggestion of what the Chorus should pray about, they begin to pray about what?
(a) That the war will be faught away from the walls.
(b) That the war will end before the walls are penetrated.
(c) That they will die before the walls are penetrated.
(d) That they will escape before the walls are penetrated.
8. What does the Chorus do when they hear the sounds of attack from outside the walls?
(a) They panic.
(b) They run away.
(c) They go tell Eteocles.
(d) They hide their children.
9. The theme of the play is based on what two stories?
(a) Laius and Oedipus.
(b) Eteocles and Polyneices.
(c) Oedipus and Eteocles.
(d) Oedipus and Polyneices.
10. Who does Eteocles send to face the third general?
11. Who is the second general that says that he will destroy the city whether it is the gods' will or not?
12. Who promises to "bring this man [Polyneices] to his harbor, and he shall enjoy his father's city?"
13. What is an ode?
(a) A poetic metaphor.
(b) A poetic foil.
(c) A poetic song.
(d) A poetic Euphony.
14. Eteocles explains that praying is not the problem of the Chorus, but the way they are praying since they are praying for what?
(a) The safety of Eteocles.
(b) The safety of their husbands.
(c) The safety of themselves.
(d) The safety of the children.
15. How many generals does Eteocle plan to appoint to face their enemies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prays to the gods to guide and inspire Eteocles' generals to victory?
2. What news does the Scout return to Eteocles with in the beginning of part 3?
3. Who does Eteocles express his disgust with in Part 2 of the play?
4. Who is the fourth general the Scout describes as constantly shouting out his war cry and acting almost insane with blood lust?
5. Traditionally, women are more concerned with _________.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)