|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eteocles try to calm the Chorus in Part 2?
(a) He tells them all is well.
(b) He gives them a formal prayer to offer the gods.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) He tells them to get out of Thebes.
2. What symbol is on Amphiaraos' shield?
(a) A Dove.
(c) The Spinx.
(d) The Typhon.
3. Eteocles reaction was so extreme to whom because of his angry determination to save and protect the city?
(a) The women.
(b) King of Argos.
(c) His army.
4. Scout describes all of the following, in the beginning of part 3, to Eteocles except:
(a) The type of horses the armies are riding on.
(b) Which gate each enemy general is set to attack.
(c) Each of the enemy generals.
(d) The emblem on the enemy general's shield.
5. Who is the oldest and more experienced general in Eteocles' army?
6. How is Aktor related to Hyperbios?
(a) They are brothers-in-law.
(b) They are sisters.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are brothers.
7. What literary form does the Chorus use to describe the destruction and violation of the city's moral?
8. Who is the fourth general the Scout describes as constantly shouting out his war cry and acting almost insane with blood lust?
9. The principle contrast in Part 2 is between what two objects?
10. Who is the young general with an almost feminine beauty but a vicious temper?
11. Because of Eteocles' suggestion of what the Chorus should pray about, they begin to pray about what?
(a) That the war will be faught away from the walls.
(b) That they will escape before the walls are penetrated.
(c) That they will die before the walls are penetrated.
(d) That the war will end before the walls are penetrated.
12. Eteocles and the Chorus express themselves through which literary element?
13. What news does the Scout return to Eteocles with in the beginning of part 3?
(a) The armies have turned away from the gates of Thebes.
(b) The armies are outside the gates of Thebes.
(c) The armies are on their way to the gates of Thebes.
(d) The armies just left the gate of Thebes.
14. Women see the act of combat as something that causes ___________.
15. What does Eteocles suggest the Chorus pray about?
(a) That his army will grow.
(b) That the war will end soon.
(c) That the children remain safe.
(d) That the walls remain standing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Chorus say that they come to the square to pray?
2. What does the Chorus do when they hear the sounds of attack from outside the walls?
3. Eteocles instructs the Chorus to pray for ________ instead of safety?
4. The Chorus uses all of the following likening the destruction and violation of the city to the destruction and violation of a woman except:
5. Who does Eteocles send to face Tydeus?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)