|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eteocles explains that praying is not the problem of the Chorus, but the way they are praying since they are praying for what?
(a) The safety of Eteocles.
(b) The safety of the children.
(c) The safety of themselves.
(d) The safety of their husbands.
2. Who says, "When they are brave, they are insolent and intolerable, and when they are frightened, they are rash and dangerous?"
(a) Eteocles' soldiers.
(b) The Chorus.
3. What symbol is on Amphiaraos' shield?
(b) A Dove.
(c) The Spinx.
(d) The Typhon.
4. What is on Kapaneus' shield?
(a) A man armed with a torch.
(b) A man armed with a bow and arrow.
(c) A man armed with a sword.
(d) A man armed with a club.
5. Why is Tydeus forbidden to cross the river?
(a) The omens aren't good.
(b) It's against his religion.
(c) He doesn't have a ship.
(d) He can't swim.
6. Who does Eteocles send to face the third general?
7. Who is the second general that says that he will destroy the city whether it is the gods' will or not?
8. How does Eteocles try to calm the Chorus in Part 2?
(a) He tells them all is well.
(b) He gives them a formal prayer to offer the gods.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) He tells them to get out of Thebes.
9. Who is "unmoved by the sound of snorting horses?"
10. Who is the goddess of justice?
11. Who does Eteocles consider a "loyal and true son of Thebes?"
12. What term does Eteocles and the Chorus use to describe the city of Thebes?
13. What does Eteocles suggest the Chorus pray about?
(a) That his army will grow.
(b) That the war will end soon.
(c) That the walls remain standing.
(d) That the children remain safe.
14. What news does the Scout return to Eteocles with in the beginning of part 3?
(a) The armies just left the gate of Thebes.
(b) The armies are outside the gates of Thebes.
(c) The armies have turned away from the gates of Thebes.
(d) The armies are on their way to the gates of Thebes.
15. "White haired" women, "housewives," and young virgins are all described to be ___________.
(a) Equal beings.
(b) Equal culprits.
(c) Equal criminals.
(d) Equal victims.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the oldest and more experienced general in Eteocles' army?
2. Eteocles reaction was so extreme to whom because of his angry determination to save and protect the city?
3. Who does Eteocles accuse of bringing down the city's morale?
4. Who states, "if the gods [demand] evil, no man can evade it?"
5. Who does Eteocles promise to put in prison if they do not obey him and bravely face the danger of war?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)