|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eteocles' refusal to respect his agreement with Polyneices indicates his desire to ___________.
(a) Anger his brother.
(b) Have world domination.
(c) Possess and control the city.
(d) Disown his brother.
2. Eteocles instructs the Chorus to pray for ________ instead of safety?
3. Eteocles vows not to be afraid of Tydeus and does all of the following except:
(a) Charges Tydeus with blindness .
(b) Charges Tydeus with deafness.
(c) Ridicules the prophet.
(d) Charges Tydeus with bad judgement.
4. What is on Parthenopaios' shield?
(a) The Spinx.
(b) The Typhon.
(c) The Oracle.
(d) The Fury.
5. Eteocles' and Oedipus' story is playing out the curse originally laid on ___________.
6. Who is the oldest and more experienced general in Eteocles' army?
7. Women see the act of combat as something that causes ___________.
8. What literary form does the Chorus use to describe the destruction and violation of the city's moral?
9. Who is the second general that says that he will destroy the city whether it is the gods' will or not?
10. Men see the act of combat as _________.
11. Traditionally, women are more concerned with _________.
(a) What happens after the battle.
(b) Raising the children.
(c) Their social standing.
(d) Their appearance.
12. Because of Eteocles' suggestion of what the Chorus should pray about, they begin to pray about what?
(a) That they will escape before the walls are penetrated.
(b) That the war will be faught away from the walls.
(c) That the war will end before the walls are penetrated.
(d) That they will die before the walls are penetrated.
13. Why does the Chorus say that they come to the square to pray?
(a) So the Gods can defend their city.
(b) So the Gods will protect the women.
(c) So the Gods can fight the enemies.
(d) So the Gods will protect Eteocles.
14. Who is nicknamed "Killer of many?"
15. Who is the fourth general the Scout describes as constantly shouting out his war cry and acting almost insane with blood lust?
Short Answer Questions
1. Amphiaraos is all of the following except:
2. Who is "unmoved by the sound of snorting horses?"
3. Who represents the way that Eteocles has followed his own will which he honors more than he honors the will of the gods?
4. Who does Eteocles consider a "loyal and true son of Thebes?"
5. Who represents Eteocles' stubbornness while his shield represents Eteocles' passions?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)