|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Amphiaraos is all of the following except:
(a) The oldest general.
(b) The 6th general.
(c) A prophet.
(d) The one who wanted to call of the attack.
2. Who represents Eteocles' own blindness and bad judgment?
(b) The soul.
(c) The mind.
(d) The Spinx.
3. Who says, "When they are brave, they are insolent and intolerable, and when they are frightened, they are rash and dangerous?"
(b) Eteocles' soldiers.
(d) The Chorus.
4. What literary form does the Chorus use to describe the destruction and violation of the city's moral?
5. Eteocles' story and actions echo the story and actions of which other story?
(d) King of Argos.
6. Who is the oldest and more experienced general in Eteocles' army?
7. Eteocles vows not to be afraid of Tydeus and does all of the following except:
(a) Charges Tydeus with blindness .
(b) Charges Tydeus with bad judgement.
(c) Ridicules the prophet.
(d) Charges Tydeus with deafness.
8. Who represents the way that Eteocles has followed his own will which he honors more than he honors the will of the gods?
9. What imagery does the Chorus use to illustrate the situation of Eteocles and his family?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The waves.
(c) A ship.
(d) The throne.
10. Scout describes all of the following, in the beginning of part 3, to Eteocles except:
(a) Which gate each enemy general is set to attack.
(b) The emblem on the enemy general's shield.
(c) The type of horses the armies are riding on.
(d) Each of the enemy generals.
11. What does the Chorus do when they hear the sounds of attack from outside the walls?
(a) They hide their children.
(b) They panic.
(c) They go tell Eteocles.
(d) They run away.
12. According to the Chorus, what are the Gods a source of?
13. Who urges Eteocles not to "take on the violence of your brother?"
(a) The Chorus.
14. The Chorus uses all of the following likening the destruction and violation of the city to the destruction and violation of a woman except:
15. Who states, "if the gods [demand] evil, no man can evade it?"
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The Messenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "unmoved by the sound of snorting horses?"
2. Who does Eteocles send to face the third general?
3. What news does the Scout return to Eteocles with in the beginning of part 3?
4. Who does Eteocles accuse of bringing down the city's morale?
5. Who prays to the gods to guide and inspire Eteocles' generals to victory?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)