|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Any citizen in the _____ would know the story, or myth, that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on.
2. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
(a) King of Argos.
(b) The Spinx.
(d) Eteocles and Polyneices.
3. Plays performed in ancient Greece highlight all of the following aspects of city life, except _____.
(a) Private life.
(b) Religious life.
(c) Social life.
(d) Cultural life.
4. What is the name of Laius' son?
(d) Antigone .
5. What does Eteocles compare his position to?
(a) A Captain of a ship.
(b) A Master.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A ring leader.
6. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
7. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(a) The woman.
(c) The children.
(d) The man.
8. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He cursed the baby.
(b) He killed the baby.
(c) He injured the baby's feet.
(d) He blinded the baby.
9. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
10. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He broke his agreement with his brother.
(b) He is not originally from Thebes.
(c) He is not married.
(d) He is not old enough to be king.
11. What does Eteocles compare Thebes and its land to?
(a) Their sister.
(b) Their brother.
(c) Their father.
(d) Their mother.
12. The theme of these legends is that giving in to human passion creates _________.
13. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
14. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
15. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
(b) Council Chambers.
(c) The meadow.
(d) The caves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jocasta?
2. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
3. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
4. The image of Thebes is of a ________.
5. Which of the following is not a fear of the women of Thebes?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)