|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eteocles compare Thebes and its land to?
(a) Their sister.
(b) Their father.
(c) Their mother.
(d) Their brother.
2. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
(a) It would rule all nations.
(b) It would be safe.
(c) It would be destroyed.
(d) It would be infested.
3. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
(a) The Fury.
(b) The Oracle.
(c) The Blind.
(d) The Scary.
4. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Praising each other.
(b) Losing contact with each other.
(c) Kill each other.
(d) Growing old together.
5. Who is the King of Thebes in the beginning of the Background?
6. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He cursed the baby.
(b) He killed the baby.
(c) He injured the baby's feet.
(d) He blinded the baby.
7. Whose appearance and description of the armies is a typical device of classical Greek theatre?
(a) The king.
(b) The Scout.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The blacksmith.
8. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
9. Who kills Oedipus' adopted father in the Background section of the play?
10. The image of Thebes is of a ________.
11. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
12. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
(c) The Scout.
13. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
14. Who solves the Riddle of the Spinx?
15. What type of violation is used to describe women seeing their husbands, sons, and brothers killed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Laius' son?
2. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
3. The story that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on is part of their background as a ____________.
4. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
5. To go against the will of the gods, or to make them angry, is to risk destruction. This is considered the _____ of the play.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)