|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The women of Thebes pray to the gods to remember their faithfulness and protect them so they can continue to do what?
(a) Provide for their family.
(b) Raise children.
2. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Praising each other.
(b) Losing contact with each other.
(c) Growing old together.
(d) Kill each other.
3. Who says, "Their reports will save me from all traps and deceptions?"
(b) The Chorus.
(c) A Scout.
(d) The Fury.
4. What does Eteocles compare Thebes and its land to?
(a) Their father.
(b) Their mother.
(c) Their sister.
(d) Their brother.
5. The theme of these legends is that giving in to human passion creates _________.
6. What is the name of Laius' son?
(a) Antigone .
7. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
(a) The universe.
(b) The country.
(c) The city.
(d) The army.
8. Plays based on Greek legend tend to be very _____.
9. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
(a) The Oracle.
(b) The Scary.
(c) The Blind.
(d) The Fury.
10. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
(a) the King of Argos.
(d) the Oracle of Apollo.
11. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
12. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A farmer.
13. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
14. The will of the gods are metaphorically represented by _________.
(a) The Earth.
(b) The Sky.
(c) The Ocean.
(d) The Land.
15. What is the setting of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Oedipus' adopted father in the Background section of the play?
2. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
3. To go against the will of the gods, or to make them angry, is to risk destruction. This is considered the _____ of the play.
4. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
5. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)