|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
(b) The Scout.
2. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He broke his agreement with his brother.
(b) He is not old enough to be king.
(c) He is not originally from Thebes.
(d) He is not married.
3. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A fisherman.
4. Where does Polyneices go to marry a princess?
(b) The Spinx.
(d) The Oracle.
5. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
6. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
(b) the King of Argos.
(c) the Oracle of Apollo.
7. What is the name of Laius' son?
(c) Antigone .
8. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
9. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
10. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
11. What is the original language of the play "Seven Against Thebes?"
12. What does Eteocles compare his position to?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A Captain of a ship.
(c) A Master.
(d) A ring leader.
13. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
14. How many Gates of Thebes are there?
15. The image of Thebes is considered the ______ of its citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Oedipus' adopted father in the Background section of the play?
2. Who is the King of Thebes in the beginning of the Background?
3. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
4. Who is Jocasta?
5. What is the name of a group of individual actors speaking with the thoughts, emotions, and reactions of a single character?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)