|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The image of Thebes is considered the ______ of its citizens.
2. Eteocles is urged to do what by the scout?
(a) Run away.
(b) Go hide.
(c) Demolish the city.
(d) Prepare to defend the city.
3. The women of Thebes pray to the gods to remember their faithfulness and protect them so they can continue to do what?
(a) Raise children.
(d) Provide for their family.
4. The story that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on is part of their background as a ____________.
5. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(a) The woman.
(b) The man.
(c) The children.
6. What is a Spinx?
(a) Half-woman, half-lion.
(b) Half-woman, half-goat.
(c) Half-man, half-horse.
(d) Half-man, half-lion.
7. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
(a) The army.
(b) The city.
(c) The country.
(d) The universe.
8. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(a) A farmer.
(b) A fisherman.
9. Any citizen in the _____ would know the story, or myth, that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on.
10. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
(a) The Scary.
(b) The Oracle.
(c) The Blind.
(d) The Fury.
11. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
12. When Oedipus' crimes are revealed, what happens to Jocasta?
(a) She is murdered.
(b) She blinds herself.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) She becomes ruler of Thebes.
13. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
(a) the Oracle of Apollo.
(b) the King of Argos.
14. The belief system of ancient Greece is that existence depends upon _____, or the will of the gods?
(a) Free will.
15. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
(b) The Scout.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
2. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
3. Human beings are metaphorically represented by ________.
4. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
5. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)