|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kills Oedipus' adopted father in the Background section of the play?
2. Whose appearance and description of the armies is a typical device of classical Greek theatre?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) The king.
(c) The Scout.
(d) The Chorus.
3. Human beings are metaphorically represented by ________.
(b) The Ocean.
4. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
(c) New Age.
5. What is the setting of the play?
6. The people of Thebes regard Oedipus as a ________.
7. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
(a) Feed the hungry.
(b) Find a wife.
(c) Give up the throne.
(d) Fight the war.
8. What is another name for the Scout?
9. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
(a) The country.
(b) The universe.
(c) The army.
(d) The city.
10. The theme of these legends also states that the after-effects can last for generations, which means it's better to listen to the will of __________.
(a) Their parents.
(b) The gods.
(c) Their ancestors.
11. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He blinded the baby.
(b) He injured the baby's feet.
(c) He cursed the baby.
(d) He killed the baby.
12. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
(a) The meadow.
(c) The caves.
(d) Council Chambers.
13. The Chorus refers to the attacks against the city of Thebes as _______.
14. The will of the gods are metaphorically represented by _________.
(a) The Ocean.
(b) The Land.
(c) The Sky.
(d) The Earth.
15. Who says, "Their reports will save me from all traps and deceptions?"
(a) A Scout.
(b) The Chorus.
(d) The Fury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plays performed in ancient Greece highlight all of the following aspects of city life, except _____.
2. What type of violation is used to describe women seeing their husbands, sons, and brothers killed?
3. How many Gates of Thebes are there?
4. Which of the following is not a fear of the women of Thebes?
5. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)