|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of a group of individual actors speaking with the thoughts, emotions, and reactions of a single character?
(a) The Messenger.
(b) The Joker.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The Scout.
2. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
(b) King of Argos.
(c) The Spinx.
(d) Eteocles and Polyneices.
3. The play "Seven Agaist Thebes" is the third in a _______ of plays.
4. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He is not old enough to be king.
(b) He broke his agreement with his brother.
(c) He is not married.
(d) He is not originally from Thebes.
5. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A fisherman.
6. Plays performed in ancient Greece highlight all of the following aspects of city life, except _____.
(a) Cultural life.
(b) Private life.
(c) Social life.
(d) Religious life.
7. When Oedipus' crimes are revealed, what happens to Jocasta?
(a) She becomes ruler of Thebes.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She is murdered.
(d) She blinds herself.
8. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
9. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
(a) The Blind.
(b) The Scary.
(c) The Fury.
(d) The Oracle.
10. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
11. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Praising each other.
(b) Losing contact with each other.
(c) Growing old together.
(d) Kill each other.
12. The belief system of ancient Greece is that existence depends upon _____, or the will of the gods?
(c) Free will.
13. The image of Thebes is considered the ______ of its citizens.
14. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
15. What is another name for the Scout?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
2. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
3. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
4. Who solves the Riddle of the Spinx?
5. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)