|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Gates of Thebes are there?
2. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
(a) A religious festival.
(b) A eulogy.
(c) An offering.
(d) A pilgrimage.
3. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A fisherman.
4. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
(b) King of Argos.
(c) Eteocles and Polyneices.
(d) The Spinx.
5. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
(a) The Oracle.
(b) The Fury.
(c) The Blind.
(d) The Scary.
6. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
7. Any citizen in the _____ would know the story, or myth, that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on.
8. The will of the gods are metaphorically represented by _________.
(a) The Earth.
(b) The Sky.
(c) The Ocean.
(d) The Land.
9. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(a) The man.
(b) The woman.
(c) The children.
10. What type of violation is used to describe women seeing their husbands, sons, and brothers killed?
11. The theme of these legends is that giving in to human passion creates _________.
12. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
13. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
(a) King of Argos.
(b) King of Thebes.
(c) The Spinx.
(d) The Oracle of Apollo.
14. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
(a) The city.
(b) The universe.
(c) The army.
(d) The country.
15. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
(a) It would be destroyed.
(b) It would be infested.
(c) It would be safe.
(d) It would rule all nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
2. When Oedipus' crimes are revealed, what happens to Jocasta?
3. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
4. Who solves the Riddle of the Spinx?
5. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)