|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
2. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
3. What is another name for the Scout?
4. The will of the gods are metaphorically represented by _________.
(a) The Ocean.
(b) The Land.
(c) The Earth.
(d) The Sky.
5. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
6. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
7. The belief system of ancient Greece is that existence depends upon _____, or the will of the gods?
(b) Free will.
8. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A farmer.
9. The imagery in general represents a basic element of the Greek philosophy of ________.
10. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
(a) Hasn't started.
(b) Gone well.
(c) Gone badly.
(d) Is over.
11. How many Gates of Thebes are there?
12. The image of Thebes is considered the ______ of its citizens.
13. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
(a) Fight the war.
(b) Feed the hungry.
(c) Find a wife.
(d) Give up the throne.
14. Who solves the Riddle of the Spinx?
15. The image of Thebes is of a ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose appearance and description of the armies is a typical device of classical Greek theatre?
2. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
3. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
4. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
5. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)