|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The theme of these legends is that giving in to human passion creates _________.
2. The theme of these legends also states that the after-effects can last for generations, which means it's better to listen to the will of __________.
(b) Their parents.
(c) The gods.
(d) Their ancestors.
3. Whose appearance and description of the armies is a typical device of classical Greek theatre?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The blacksmith.
(c) The king.
(d) The Scout.
4. What type of violation is used to describe women seeing their husbands, sons, and brothers killed?
5. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
(c) New Age.
6. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
7. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(b) The man.
(c) The woman.
(d) The children.
8. Who is Jocasta?
(a) Polyneices' wife.
(b) Oedipus' sister.
(c) Laius' daughter.
(d) Oedipus' wife.
9. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
(c) The Scout.
10. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
(a) The city.
(b) The country.
(c) The universe.
(d) The army.
11. The belief system of ancient Greece is that existence depends upon _____, or the will of the gods?
(d) Free will.
12. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
13. What does Eteocles compare Thebes and its land to?
(a) Their sister.
(b) Their mother.
(c) Their brother.
(d) Their father.
14. The Chorus refers to the attacks against the city of Thebes as _______.
15. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(a) A farmer.
(c) A fisherman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Any citizen in the _____ would know the story, or myth, that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on.
2. The image of Thebes is of a ________.
3. The imagery in general represents a basic element of the Greek philosophy of ________.
4. Eteocles is urged to do what by the scout?
5. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)