|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two plays leading up to "Seven Against Thebes" named?
(a) Laius and Oedipus.
(b) Polyneices and Eteocles.
(c) Ismene and Antigone.
(d) The Oracle and The Spinx.
2. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He broke his agreement with his brother.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He is not originally from Thebes.
(d) He is not old enough to be king.
3. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
4. Imagery throughout the play is based on ________.
(a) Clouds and Birds.
(b) Jungle and Tigers.
(c) Sand and Mountains.
(d) Ships and the Sea.
5. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
6. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
7. The belief system of ancient Greece is that existence depends upon _____, or the will of the gods?
(d) Free will.
8. The imagery in general represents a basic element of the Greek philosophy of ________.
9. Which of the following is not a fear of the women of Thebes?
10. What is the name of Laius' son?
(b) Antigone .
11. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
12. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
(a) The Singers.
(b) The Farmers.
(c) The Messenger.
(d) The Chorus.
13. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(b) The man.
(c) The children.
(d) The woman.
14. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
15. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
(a) Find a wife.
(b) Give up the throne.
(c) Feed the hungry.
(d) Fight the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Their reports will save me from all traps and deceptions?"
2. The story that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on is part of their background as a ____________.
3. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
4. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
5. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)