|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The image of Thebes is of a ________.
2. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
3. What is a Spinx?
(a) Half-man, half-horse.
(b) Half-woman, half-lion.
(c) Half-man, half-lion.
(d) Half-woman, half-goat.
4. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He killed the baby.
(b) He blinded the baby.
(c) He injured the baby's feet.
(d) He cursed the baby.
5. The theme of these legends is that giving in to human passion creates _________.
6. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
7. The play "Seven Agaist Thebes" is the third in a _______ of plays.
8. The Chorus refers to the attacks against the city of Thebes as _______.
9. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
10. Which of the following is not a fear of the women of Thebes?
11. Eteocles is urged to do what by the scout?
(a) Prepare to defend the city.
(b) Go hide.
(c) Run away.
(d) Demolish the city.
12. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
(a) A religious festival.
(b) A eulogy.
(c) An offering.
(d) A pilgrimage.
13. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
14. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Losing contact with each other.
(b) Growing old together.
(c) Kill each other.
(d) Praising each other.
15. What is the original language of the play "Seven Against Thebes?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eteocles compare Thebes and its land to?
2. What type of violation is used to describe women seeing their husbands, sons, and brothers killed?
3. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
4. The theme of these legends also states that the after-effects can last for generations, which means it's better to listen to the will of __________.
5. Where does Polyneices go to marry a princess?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)