|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
2. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
(a) The Spinx.
(b) King of Thebes.
(c) King of Argos.
(d) The Oracle of Apollo.
3. Eteocles is urged to do what by the scout?
(a) Demolish the city.
(b) Go hide.
(c) Prepare to defend the city.
(d) Run away.
4. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
5. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The Farmers.
(c) The Singers.
(d) The Messenger.
6. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
7. The belief system of ancient Greece is that existence depends upon _____, or the will of the gods?
(d) Free will.
8. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
(c) The Scout.
9. Plays performed in ancient Greece highlight all of the following aspects of city life, except _____.
(a) Cultural life.
(b) Private life.
(c) Religious life.
(d) Social life.
10. What is the name of the prophet that has foreseen the armies of Argos attacking Thebes soon?
(a) The Oracle.
(b) The Fury.
11. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
12. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Losing contact with each other.
(b) Kill each other.
(c) Praising each other.
(d) Growing old together.
13. To go against the will of the gods, or to make them angry, is to risk destruction. This is considered the _____ of the play.
14. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
15. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
(b) Eteocles and Polyneices.
(c) The Spinx.
(d) King of Argos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a fear of the women of Thebes?
2. Any citizen in the _____ would know the story, or myth, that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on.
3. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
4. Who does the King of Thebes address in the city?
5. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)