|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Plays based on Greek legend tend to be very _____.
2. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
(d) The Scout.
3. Any citizen in the _____ would know the story, or myth, that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on.
4. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
5. Who runs on with news that the seven powerful generals of the attacking army have performed a blood sacrifice?
(a) A scout.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) A blacksmith.
6. The image of Thebes is considered the ______ of its citizens.
7. What does Eteocles compare Thebes and its land to?
(a) Their brother.
(b) Their father.
(c) Their mother.
(d) Their sister.
8. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
(d) New Age.
9. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
(a) King of Argos.
(b) King of Thebes.
(c) The Oracle of Apollo.
(d) The Spinx.
10. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He is not originally from Thebes.
(b) He broke his agreement with his brother.
(c) He is not old enough to be king.
(d) He is not married.
11. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
12. What is a Spinx?
(a) Half-woman, half-lion.
(b) Half-man, half-horse.
(c) Half-man, half-lion.
(d) Half-woman, half-goat.
13. What is the name of the prophet that has foreseen the armies of Argos attacking Thebes soon?
(a) The Oracle.
(d) The Fury.
14. Who does the King of Thebes address in the city?
(a) Women citizens.
(b) All citizens.
(c) Male citizens.
(d) Working citizens.
15. Imagery throughout the play is based on ________.
(a) Ships and the Sea.
(b) Clouds and Birds.
(c) Jungle and Tigers.
(d) Sand and Mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Laius' son?
2. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
3. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
4. Plays performed in ancient Greece highlight all of the following aspects of city life, except _____.
5. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)