|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
(a) It would be safe.
(b) It would be destroyed.
(c) It would rule all nations.
(d) It would be infested.
2. Whose appearance and description of the armies is a typical device of classical Greek theatre?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The Scout.
(c) The king.
(d) The blacksmith.
3. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
4. What is the original language of the play "Seven Against Thebes?"
5. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
(a) A religious festival.
(b) An offering.
(c) A eulogy.
(d) A pilgrimage.
6. What is the setting of the play?
7. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
(a) The city.
(b) The country.
(c) The army.
(d) The universe.
8. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
9. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He blinded the baby.
(b) He killed the baby.
(c) He cursed the baby.
(d) He injured the baby's feet.
10. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Losing contact with each other.
(b) Kill each other.
(c) Growing old together.
(d) Praising each other.
11. Who runs on with news that the seven powerful generals of the attacking army have performed a blood sacrifice?
(a) A scout.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A carpenter.
12. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
(a) Find a wife.
(b) Feed the hungry.
(c) Give up the throne.
(d) Fight the war.
13. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
(a) The meadow.
(b) Council Chambers.
(c) The caves.
14. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
15. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Polyneices go to marry a princess?
2. To go against the will of the gods, or to make them angry, is to risk destruction. This is considered the _____ of the play.
3. What is the name of Laius' son?
4. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
5. The play "Seven Agaist Thebes" is the third in a _______ of plays.
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)