|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who solves the Riddle of the Spinx?
2. The theme of these legends is that giving in to human passion creates _________.
3. The people of Thebes regard Oedipus as a ________.
4. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
5. How many Gates of Thebes are there?
6. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
(a) It would be infested.
(b) It would rule all nations.
(c) It would be safe.
(d) It would be destroyed.
7. The imagery in general represents a basic element of the Greek philosophy of ________.
8. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
9. Who is Jocasta?
(a) Laius' daughter.
(b) Polyneices' wife.
(c) Oedipus' wife.
(d) Oedipus' sister.
10. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
(a) Council Chambers.
(b) The caves.
(c) The meadow.
11. Plays based on Greek legend tend to be very _____.
12. The belief system of ancient Greece is that existence depends upon _____, or the will of the gods?
(d) Free will.
13. When Oedipus' crimes are revealed, what happens to Jocasta?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She becomes ruler of Thebes.
(c) She blinds herself.
(d) She is murdered.
14. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
15. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
2. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
3. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
4. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
5. Where does Polyneices go to marry a princess?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)