|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
(a) The Scary.
(b) The Blind.
(c) The Fury.
(d) The Oracle.
2. The theme of these legends also states that the after-effects can last for generations, which means it's better to listen to the will of __________.
(b) Their parents.
(c) The gods.
(d) Their ancestors.
3. Any citizen in the _____ would know the story, or myth, that "Seven Against Thebes" is based on.
4. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
5. What is the original language of the play "Seven Against Thebes?"
6. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
(a) Gone well.
(b) Gone badly.
(c) Hasn't started.
(d) Is over.
7. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
8. Eteocles is urged to do what by the scout?
(a) Run away.
(b) Prepare to defend the city.
(c) Demolish the city.
(d) Go hide.
9. When Oedipus' crimes are revealed, what happens to Jocasta?
(a) She blinds herself.
(b) She is murdered.
(c) She becomes ruler of Thebes.
(d) She commits suicide.
10. Who does the King of Thebes address in the city?
(a) Working citizens.
(b) All citizens.
(c) Women citizens.
(d) Male citizens.
11. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(a) A fisherman.
(d) A farmer.
12. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
13. Which of the following is not a fear of the women of Thebes?
14. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Losing contact with each other.
(b) Growing old together.
(c) Praising each other.
(d) Kill each other.
15. What is another name for the Scout?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
2. Plays based on Greek legend tend to be very _____.
3. What is the name of the prophet that has foreseen the armies of Argos attacking Thebes soon?
4. The imagery in general represents a basic element of the Greek philosophy of ________.
5. What is a Spinx?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)