|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The theme of these legends also states that the after-effects can last for generations, which means it's better to listen to the will of __________.
(b) The gods.
(c) Their parents.
(d) Their ancestors.
2. The women of Thebes pray to the gods to remember their faithfulness and protect them so they can continue to do what?
(c) Raise children.
(d) Provide for their family.
3. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
4. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
(a) Fight the war.
(b) Find a wife.
(c) Give up the throne.
(d) Feed the hungry.
5. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
6. The image of Thebes is of a ________.
7. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
8. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(a) A fisherman.
(d) A farmer.
9. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
(a) An offering.
(b) A eulogy.
(c) A pilgrimage.
(d) A religious festival.
10. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
(a) The army.
(b) The universe.
(c) The city.
(d) The country.
11. What is the original language of the play "Seven Against Thebes?"
12. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
(a) King of Argos.
(b) The Oracle of Apollo.
(c) The Spinx.
(d) King of Thebes.
13. Human beings are metaphorically represented by ________.
(b) The Ocean.
14. Who runs on with news that the seven powerful generals of the attacking army have performed a blood sacrifice?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) A scout.
15. Who says, "Their reports will save me from all traps and deceptions?"
(a) The Fury.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) A Scout.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plays based on Greek legend tend to be very _____.
2. Imagery throughout the play is based on ________.
3. Who is the King of Thebes in the beginning of the Background?
4. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
5. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)