|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Background.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
(a) It would be safe.
(b) It would be infested.
(c) It would rule all nations.
(d) It would be destroyed.
2. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Losing contact with each other.
(b) Growing old together.
(c) Praising each other.
(d) Kill each other.
3. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
(a) the King of Argos.
(b) the Oracle of Apollo.
4. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
5. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He cursed the baby.
(b) He killed the baby.
(c) He injured the baby's feet.
(d) He blinded the baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plays performed in ancient Greece highlight all of the following aspects of city life, except _____.
2. The people of Thebes regard Oedipus as a ________.
3. The belief system of ancient Greece is that existence depends upon _____, or the will of the gods?
4. When Oedipus' crimes are revealed, what happens to Jocasta?
5. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)