|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Background.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Oedipus' crimes are revealed, what happens to Jocasta?
(a) She becomes ruler of Thebes.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She is murdered.
(d) She blinds herself.
2. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
(a) A religious festival.
(b) A eulogy.
(c) A pilgrimage.
(d) An offering.
3. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He injured the baby's feet.
(b) He killed the baby.
(c) He cursed the baby.
(d) He blinded the baby.
4. Who kills Oedipus' adopted father in the Background section of the play?
5. The theme of these legends also states that the after-effects can last for generations, which means it's better to listen to the will of __________.
(a) Their ancestors.
(c) The gods.
(d) Their parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jocasta?
2. What is a Spinx?
3. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
4. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
5. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)