|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
2. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He is not old enough to be king.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He is not originally from Thebes.
(d) He broke his agreement with his brother.
3. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
4. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(a) The man.
(b) The woman.
(c) The children.
5. What is a Spinx?
(a) Half-woman, half-lion.
(b) Half-man, half-horse.
(c) Half-man, half-lion.
(d) Half-woman, half-goat.
Short Answer Questions
1. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
2. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
3. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
4. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
5. The Chorus refers to the attacks against the city of Thebes as _______.
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)