|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
(a) The Farmers.
(b) The Singers.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The Messenger.
2. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
3. What is a Spinx?
(a) Half-man, half-lion.
(b) Half-man, half-horse.
(c) Half-woman, half-lion.
(d) Half-woman, half-goat.
4. The people of Thebes regard Oedipus as a ________.
5. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He is not married.
(b) He is not originally from Thebes.
(c) He broke his agreement with his brother.
(d) He is not old enough to be king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
2. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
3. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
4. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
5. The theme of these legends is that giving in to human passion creates _________.
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)