|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter Forty-Nine, what does Mitch ask Anna to do?
2. On what television show does Rudin appear in Chapter Thirty-Seven?
3. How does Hank Clark think Rudin's television appearance will affect Irene Kennedy?
4. Why is Rudin angry when he shows up at Hank Clark's office in Chapter Forty-Three?
5. What does Steveken leave the restaurant without doing when he and Rudin meet at the end of Chapter Thirty-Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Congressman Zebarth in Chapter Thirty-Seven help illustrate Washington's atmosphere of secrecy?
2. How successful is Mitch's disguise as Saddam Hussein's son, Uday, once the Delta Force team arrives in Baghdad?
3. What goes wrong with the timing of the missile attack designed to provide a diversion for the Delta Force's mission and how will could this problem potentially affect the mission?
4. Why does Mitch bring Dr. Park Chow Lee back from Baghdad with the Delta Force team?
5. Why does Albert Rudin blame Hank Clark for his public disgrace and his legal troubles after his appearance on Meet the Press?
6. What reasons does Anna give herself for breaking up with Mitch in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
7. How does Rudin's showing of Mitch's photo affect Mitch's ability to work under cover and how does the President counteract the damage to Mitch's reputation?
8. Why is Hank Clark's treatment of Irene Kennedy at her Senate confirmation hearing ironic?
9. When the President meets with Ben Freidman after the successful Delta Force mission in Iraq, what does Freidman think the meeting will concern and what does the meeting actually concern?
10. Describe how Clark resolves his problem with Rudin in Chapter Forty-Seven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in Separation of Power. What professions do the women in the novel have? Are any of the politicians in the story female? Do the novel's female characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set? What do you think the book's author is trying to say about women through these characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of double-crossing and sabotage in Separation of Power. Which characters engage in double-crossing and sabotage? What do you think the author is trying to say through his portrayal of this theme in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Anna's relationship with Mitch. Does it change or grow during the course of the novel? How do their respective careers affect their relationship? Does Anna seem to understand what Mitch's career involves? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)