|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hank Clark think will be the next President of America thanks to what Rudin reveals during his television appearance?
2. Which of the following statements does NOT describe the Mercedes sedans Colonel Gray has obtained for the Baghdad mission?
3. At the beginning of Chapter Thirty-One, what is Anna upset about not receiving from Mitch?
4. Why does Anna break up with Mitch at the end of Chapter Twenty-Seven?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Twenty-Eight, what kind of dog is Jonathan Brown walking through the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the President want to write his own speech in Chapter Forty-Six, and why does his chief of staff not want him to write his own speech?
2. How successful is Mitch's disguise as Saddam Hussein's son, Uday, once the Delta Force team arrives in Baghdad?
3. Describe the Delta Force team's encounter with an Iraqi policeman en route to the hospital that is their destination.
4. What political scandal does Albert Rudin introduce on the Meet the Press television show?
5. What reasons does Anna give herself for breaking up with Mitch in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
6. Describe Jonathan Brown's meeting with Steveken in Chapter Thirty-Two.
7. Who approaches Anna at Leo's Restaurant in Milan in Chapter Thirty-One, and what message does he have for Anna?
8. How does Clark manipulate Rudin in Chapter Thirty-Six?
9. How does Irene Kennedy advise President Hayes that they deal with the scandal Rudin unleashes?
10. Describe the Delta Force mission in Baghdad and explain why it is such a gamble.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Middle Eastern characters depicted in the novel? Is there a difference in the way Israeli and Arabic characters are portrayed? In what ways does this depiction reflect or not reflect American politics at the time the novel was written? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Some aspects of Separation of Power seem well-researched, realistic and believable while other aspects of the story seem implausible. Discuss this fact and cite at least three examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Separation of Power. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)