|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second option General Flood gives the President in Chapter Eleven for dealing with the problem at the Baghdad hospital?
2. Who hired Donatella to kill Peter Cameron?
3. What did Anna's father do for a living?
4. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the videotape that Irene Kennedy plays for Mitch in Chapter Four?
5. How old is Donatella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mitch think the men who attack Donatella in her apartment are from Mossad?
2. Explain the concept of congressional oversight in terms of the intelligence community and why Rudin thinks Irene Kennedy does not support the concept.
3. What problem does Mitch's experience in Germany indicate that the CIA has?
4. Why does Donatella feel she owes Ben Freidman her loyalty?
5. Why does Freidman select Marc Rosenthal to assassinate Donatella?
6. Describe the coded messages Mitch uses with Donatella in Chapter Twenty-One.
7. Why does Mark Ellis oppose Irene Kennedy becoming the new CIA director?
8. Why doesn't Donatella tell Mitch who hired her to kill Peter Cameron the first time he asks?
9. What is Ben Freidman's history with Donatella Rahn?
10. Why doesn't Mitch want the CIA desk job Irene Kennedy offers him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Anna, Donatella, and Irene from Separation of Power. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Ben Freidman, the head of Israel's Mossad, and the character of Irene Kennedy, the head of the CIA. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Separation of Power is primarily a political thriller. Discuss what factors in the plot, setting, themes, and characters identify this novel as a thriller. Are there any ways in which the novel is atypical for its genre? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)