|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man claims to own Mississippi in 'Lo'?
2. Where does Narcissa say she is going for 3 days?
3. What does Jubal do after drinking too much of what was offered him at Vatch's house?
4. What is wrong with Jubal's master in 'Mountain Victory'?
5. What does the old man in 'Beyond' have a picture of in his briefcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Weddel say he cannot leave immediately from Vatch's house in 'Mountain Victory'?
2. What does the president in 'Lo' tell his guards to do to stop the Indian Delegation from coming to the White House a second time?
3. How does Buck feel during the awkward confrontation with Howard after his affair with Mildred?
4. What is the main motivation of Miss Jenny in 'There Was a Queen'?
5. What happens during the air show after the affair between Buck and Mildred is revealed?
6. What did the president in 'Lo' purchase for his servants, and why?
7. How did the judge's son in 'Beyond' die?
8. What question does Captain Bogard ask himself at the end of 'Turnabout'?
9. How does Faulkner describe the quiet in the Sartoris house?
10. What does Buck receive six months after his affair is revealed to Howard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the President in 'Lo' want his servants to do, and what did this request reveal about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in these stories all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)