|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the young boy in 'Beyond' bored with?
2. Where are Jubal and his master heading?
3. What is the name of Howard's wife in 'Honor'?
4. What did the old man in 'Beyond' like to debate about?
5. What is Elnora's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hule ask Weddel to do in 'Mountain Victory'?
2. What happens during the air show after the affair between Buck and Mildred is revealed?
3. How does Faulkner describe the quiet in the Sartoris house?
4. What does Narcissa do when she returns from her trip to Memphis?
5. What does the president in 'Lo' tell his guards to do to stop the Indian Delegation from coming to the White House a second time?
6. What does the president do when the French Delegation comes to the White House in 'Lo'?
7. What does the president in 'Lo' do when Weddel's uncle comes to the White House?
8. How does Buck feel during the awkward confrontation with Howard after his affair with Mildred?
9. What is the main motivation of Miss Jenny in 'There Was a Queen'?
10. How does Vatch say he once killed a rebel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in these stories- especially 'That Evening Sun', and 'Two Soldiers'. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in those stories?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)