|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Howard's wife describe her decision to get a divorce?
2. What does Jubal call Vatch's sister?
3. Where does Jubal sleep at Vatch's house?
4. Where does Captain Bogard take Claude in 'Turnabout'?
5. What kind of man does Narcissa have to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Narcissa do to get her letters back in 'There Was a Queen' and why?
2. What does the president in 'Lo' tell his guards to do to stop the Indian Delegation from coming to the White House a second time?
3. Why does Captain Bogard miss seeing the hit on the Argentinian ship in 'Turnabout'?
4. What would have happened had Captain Bogards risky move in 'Turnabout' not succeeded?
5. What does Hule ask Weddel to do in 'Mountain Victory'?
6. What does Mildred do when she first sees Buck after their affair in 'Honor'?
7. What question does Captain Bogard ask himself at the end of 'Turnabout'?
8. Why does Weddel say he cannot leave immediately from Vatch's house in 'Mountain Victory'?
9. What strange thing happens on Claude's first air raid?
10. What does the president in 'Lo' do when Weddel's uncle comes to the White House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in these stories all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness was a very common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message was being sent through this blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)