|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does the replacement for Dilsey get on her way to jail?
2. Why does the younger brother in 'Two Soldiers' go to the recruitment center?
3. What do the Indians in 'Red Leaves' say smells different among different races?
4. Which of these is a name of an Indian on 'Red Leaves'?
5. What is Snopes supposed to clean when he first becomes a tenant farmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does 'Barn Burning' end?
2. How does Snopes always react when he feels trapped or threatened in 'Barn Burning'?
3. What do the townspeople do at Emily's funeral?
4. What are some of the options discussed for dealing with the slaves in 'Red Leaves'?
5. What does De Spain demand when Snopes's wife further increases the insult her husband made to De Spain on his first day working?
6. What does the chief justice tell Snopes to do after his case is thrown out?
7. What other accusation has Minne Cooper made in the past?
8. What does the mob do to Will Maynes in 'Dry September'?
9. How do the brothers in 'Two Soldiers' hear about Pearl Harbor?
10. Why is Snopes let free at the end of his trial at the beginning of 'Barn Burning'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming of age were two themes that were interwoven in many places in this book- especially in 'Two Soldiers' and 'Mountain Victory'. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)