|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who let people inside the house when Emily died?
2. Why does the Indian chief in 'Red Leaves' sell his slaves?
3. What is Snopes supposed to clean when he first becomes a tenant farmer?
4. Where does the older brother in 'Two Soldiers' plan to join the military?
5. Where was the older brother in 'Two Soldiers' when he heard about Pearl Harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mob do to Will Maynes in 'Dry September'?
2. How does Pete's mother feel when he says he wants to join the Army in 'Two Soldiers'?
3. What happens to Hawkshaw when he tries to defend Will Maynes?
4. What did Moketubba have a fascination with?
5. What causes Pete to want to join the Army?
6. What does the White family do to help Nancy not be scared?
7. What is seen just before the stench at Emily's house dissipates?
8. What do the townspeople do at Emily's funeral?
9. What does Snopes do to insult De Spain on his first day working for him, and what does De Spain ask him to do about it?
10. Why do the men in 'Dry September' say it would be worth it for them to kill an innocent man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in these stories all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in these stories- especially 'That Evening Sun', and 'Two Soldiers'. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in those stories?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those stories?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)