|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crop is Snopes to pay in, to make up for the damage his wife does when moving?
2. What is the name of the narrator's brother in 'That Evening Sun'?
3. What do the Indians do when pondering what to do with their slaves?
4. Why is the case against Snopes thrown out?
5. Where does the older brother in 'Two Soldiers' plan to join the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the White family do to help Nancy not be scared?
2. What story does Nancy tell the children in 'That Evening Sun' when they stay at her house?
3. Why is Snopes let free at the end of his trial at the beginning of 'Barn Burning'?
4. How do the brothers in 'Two Soldiers' hear about Pearl Harbor?
5. How does Pete's mother feel when he says he wants to join the Army in 'Two Soldiers'?
6. What does Emily do when she turns 40 to giver herself some release?
7. What other accusation has Minne Cooper made in the past?
8. What did Moketubba have a fascination with?
9. What is seen just before the stench at Emily's house dissipates?
10. What does Emily buy from a pharmacy after her father dies, and what do the townspeople think about that in 'A Rose For Emily'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal was a theme introduced in many of these stories. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plots, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in these stories- especially 'That Evening Sun', and 'Two Soldiers'. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in those stories?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)