|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who let people inside the house when Emily died?
2. What does the younger brother in in 'Two Soldiers' do when some soldiers laugh at him?
3. What does a banker owe Dilsey's replacement?
4. Where is the supposed rape of Minne Cooper discussed?
5. Who entices the men to go to action against the man said to have raped Minne Cooper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mob do to Will Maynes in 'Dry September'?
2. What happens to Hawkshaw when he tries to defend Will Maynes?
3. How does Pete's mother feel when he says he wants to join the Army in 'Two Soldiers'?
4. What other accusation has Minne Cooper made in the past?
5. What does a policeman in Jefferson do when he sees the younger brother there alone in 'Two Soldiers'?
6. What happens when Nancy tries to kill herself in 'That Evening Sun'?
7. What does the runaway slave in 'Red Leaves' do to escape?
8. What does Emily buy from a pharmacy after her father dies, and what do the townspeople think about that in 'A Rose For Emily'?
9. What happens when Jesus comes to the White's house in 'That Evening Sun'?
10. Why is Snopes let free at the end of his trial at the beginning of 'Barn Burning'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was a lot of interesting advice given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what were the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness was a very common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message was being sent through this blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming of age were two themes that were interwoven in many places in this book- especially in 'Two Soldiers' and 'Mountain Victory'. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)