|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Indians do when pondering what to do with their slaves?
2. What is the name of the narrator's brother in 'That Evening Sun'?
3. What was the name of Emily's suitor?
4. What is Hawkshaw's occupation?
5. Who was thought to have raped Minne Cooper?
(a) Weston Mills.
(b) Wilton Matheson.
(c) William Maynard.
(d) Will Maynes.
6. What is the accused rapist's occupation in 'Dry September'?
(d) Night watchman.
7. How far from the brothers' house does the younger brother walk when his older brother joins the military?
(a) 32 miles.
(b) 12 miles.
(c) 42 miles.
(d) 22 miles.
8. What was found in the locked room after Emily's death?
(a) A rose.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A portrait.
(d) A corpse.
9. What does Snopes's wife use to clean when they first are employed by De Spain?
(c) Baking powder.
10. How does the younger brother in 'Two Soldiers' get home at the end of the story?
(a) He is taken home in a military vehicle.
(b) He walks.
(c) He rides the bus.
(d) The older woman drives him.
11. What is the man called when he says he does not believe Minne Cooper was raped?
(a) A "Yankee".
(b) A "coward".
(c) A "traitor".
(d) A "nigger lover".
12. What portion of her house did Emily lock up?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The upper story.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The attic.
13. How does the imprisoned woman in 'That Evening Sun' try to kill herself?
(a) She hangs herself.
(b) She takes some poison.
(c) She shoots herself.
(d) She slits her wrists.
14. What about Emily did people compare to men?
(a) Her clothing.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her stature.
(d) Her voice.
15. Where is the trial for Snopes held?
(a) Mr. Harris's office.
(b) The store.
(c) Mrs. Johnson's mansion.
(d) The town square.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the taxes on Emily's house suspended?
2. What is the name of the narrator of 'That Evening Sun'?
3. What does the older woman do for the younger brother in 'Two Soldiers'?
4. Why is the case against Snopes thrown out?
5. What do the Indians in 'Red Leaves' discuss the palatability of?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)