|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Critics do not understand the display, referring to it as what?
2. Irwin takes many day hikes into the flat terrain and stays where at night?
3. While much thought goes into his writing, it illustrates that his strength in communication lies where?
4. What three elements are equally positive?
5. What appeals to Irwin regarding these thinkers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Irwin doing three years after the Whitney opening? Why?
2. Where does Irwin submit proposals?
3. Compare Irwin's work from before 1970 to his work after 1970.
4. Describe the relationship between Irwin and Dr. Wortz.
5. What does Irwin do now that he has decided to stop making art to sell?
6. What happens when enthusiasm for Irwin grows?
7. What does Maurice Tuchman organize?
8. What leads Irwin to write his own view on this philosophy? Describe this work.
9. What are some of Irwin's views regarding this philosophy?
10. How does the desert become important to Irwin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irwin exhibited an unusually strong independent streak.
Part 1) Describe this streak. How was it seen in him as a child? What role did it play as he grew up? How was it seen in his art?
Part 2) Did Irwin benefit from this independent streak? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) Do you have an independent streak? if so, describe it. If not, why not? How does this independent streak or lack of one influence you?
Essay Topic 2
From 1962 to 1964 Irwin produces ten late line paintings.
Part 1) Describe these paintings. What events and work lead to these paintings? How is Irwin changed in these two years? Why?
Part 2) To what do these paintings lead? How is all this work viewed by critics? Do they like it? Why or why not? How does this work reflect Irwin's personality?
Part 3) Who is your favorite artist? Describe his or her work. How does this work reflect the artists' personality? Why are you drawn to this artist and his or her work?
Essay Topic 3
Irwin collaborates with Dr. Wortz.
Part 1) Who is Dr. Wortz? How does Irwin get the chance to collaborate with him? Describe their collaboration.
Part 2) How is this collaboration significant? What do these two men learn about each other, themselves, art, and science?
Part 3) When have you collaborated with someone else? Was this a good experience? Why or why not? What did you learn about yourself and your partner?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)