|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irwin feels that the most important result of his association with Dr. Wortz is what?
2. What three elements are equally positive?
3. What is one major difference between scientist and artist?
4. I think therefore _____________.
5. Robert's installations were made based on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Irwin and Dr. Wortz.
2. Where does Irwin submit proposals?
3. By what is Irwin now intrigued? How does this affect his work?
4. What does Maurice Tuchman organize?
5. Describe Irwin's display at the Whitney Retrospective.
6. Describe Irwin's installations after 1970.
7. Compare Irwin's work from before 1970 to his work after 1970.
8. What is phenomenology? What does Irwin think of this and the work done regarding this?
9. From where do non-art invitations come?
10. How did Irwin see this display?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irwin spends time in the desert.
Part 1) Describe Irwin's time in the desert. Why does he decide to spend time in the desert? How is this decision related to his feelings about his art?
Part 2) How does Irwin benefit from this time in the desert? How does it affect his art? How do his feelings while he is in the desert reflect his personality?
Part 3) Describe a place you have gone that give you a sense of peace or renewed energy. Why did this place have this kind of power? Have you returned to this place? Why or why not? Would you like to return to this place? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Irwin grows bored.
Part 1) Of what does Irwin grow bored? Why? What doe she think about this boredom? How does this boredom affect him? Is this good? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe many artists grow tired of their style or medium? Why or why not? How might most artists deal with boredom or burn-out? Why do you believe this?
Part 3) When are you bored? How do you deal with boredom? Do you see boredom as something positive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Irwin becomes a teacher.
Part 1) Describe his teaching career. Why does he decide to teach? How is this connected to his feelings about his art and the art world at the time?
Part 2) How does Irwin compare to your own teachers? Does he act like a typical teacher? Why or why not? How does this reflect his personality?
Part 3) If you were to teach, what would you teach? Why? What age would you want to teach? Why? Describe what your teaching style might be like.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)