|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. His dissatisfaction compels him to begin an association with what Gallery, which fostered the coming of age of the modernist artist in LA in the sixties?
2. How much of an effect do the repercussions from World War II have upon Irwin and his buddies?
3. To the entrepreneur, Irwin is exceptional and thus was able to do what?
4. Irwin's mother is upset and tries to convince him that bad things will come his way if he does what?
5. To what does Robert partially attribute to growing up here in the 1940s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Irwin love as a teen?
2. What does Irwin say about his success and its connection to LA?
3. Describe the community in which Robert Irwin grew up.
4. Describe Irwin's personality as a child and how this affected his parents.
5. Who helps Ferus stay open? How does he do this?
6. How does Irwin end up in the military?
7. Describe Irwin's time as an art student at Otis Art Institute.
8. What takes place between 1962 and 1964?
9. What leads Irwin from lines to dots?
10. What happens when Irwin grows discontented with his show at the Felix Landau Gallery in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert joined the military.
Part 1) Why did he join the military? Was this a good reason to join? Why or why not? Describe his military experience. How did it influence him?
Part 2) Was this time in the military significant? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) Would you consider joining the military? Why or why not? Is there anything to be learned from military service? If so, what? If not, why not? Could regular citizens benefit from military service? Why or why not? Should military duty be required for all citizens in the U.S., as it is in other countries? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Irwin is very liberal in his thinking.
Part 1) Describe Irwin's thinking. How has in upbringing influenced his liberal views? How else have his liberal views been formed?
Part 2) How do his liberal views reflect his personality? How do they also affect his art?
Part 3) What type of thinker are you? Would you consider yourself a liberal, a conservative, or somewhere in between. Why? What has influenced these views?
Essay Topic 3
Irwin makes disc art.
Part 1) Describe this disc art. What art leads up to these discs? What questions were raised that led to this work? Did this work answer these questions? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 2) How do others view this disc art? Why do they view it in this way? How does this affect Irwin? How does this disc art compare to his other works? Do you find it more unique and innovating? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you were to make a series of work, what would you make? Why? How would your work compare to Irwin's? What might he think of your work? Why?
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)