|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Robert's early days, subjects include what?
2. Irwin's mother confirms that her son does not like to think of what?
3. Both parents found Robert a ______ to raise.
4. By the late '60s he creates rooms devoid of what?
5. To Irwin and his young male friends, what is the most important thing in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Irwin's parents.
2. What does Irwin do regarding the canvas to make the edges less noticeable?
3. How were cars important to Irwin and his friends?
4. What leads Irwin from lines to dots?
5. What does Blum think of Irwin's art?
6. How does Irwin end up in the military?
7. What is the mystery that remains regarding Robert Irwin?
8. Describe Irwin's personality as a child and how this affected his parents.
9. How is Irwin similar to Morandi?
10. Describe Robert's artistic process.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irwin spends time in the desert.
Part 1) Describe Irwin's time in the desert. Why does he decide to spend time in the desert? How is this decision related to his feelings about his art?
Part 2) How does Irwin benefit from this time in the desert? How does it affect his art? How do his feelings while he is in the desert reflect his personality?
Part 3) Describe a place you have gone that give you a sense of peace or renewed energy. Why did this place have this kind of power? Have you returned to this place? Why or why not? Would you like to return to this place? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many artists at Ferus become practitioners of Zen and other Asian philosophies.
Part 1) Describe Zen and these other Asian philosophies. Why do these artists become practitioners of these Asian philosophies?
Part 2) How do these philosophies affect these artists? How do these philosophies specifically affect their art? Why?
Part 3) What beliefs do you have about life? How do these beliefs influence your thoughts and actions? Is this a positive influence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
From 1962 to 1964 Irwin produces ten late line paintings.
Part 1) Describe these paintings. What events and work lead to these paintings? How is Irwin changed in these two years? Why?
Part 2) To what do these paintings lead? How is all this work viewed by critics? Do they like it? Why or why not? How does this work reflect Irwin's personality?
Part 3) Who is your favorite artist? Describe his or her work. How does this work reflect the artists' personality? Why are you drawn to this artist and his or her work?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)