|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irwin sees this as a tool to use toward what?
2. From what does Irwin begin to withdraw?
3. Irwin's goal is to create art that leaves the observer how?
4. Irwin takes a giant leap between 1962 and ___________ in the production of his ten late line paintings.
5. There is nothing Irwin likes more than cruising around L.A. at any time of the day or night and stopping to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of this section? How does Robert begin his first series of work at this time?
2. What is the mystery that remains regarding Robert Irwin?
3. After his second tour of duty, what does Robert do? How does he feel about this?
4. Describe Irwin's parents.
5. What is Robert's connection to Asian philosophies?
6. What did Irwin's parents think of his art?
7. Who helps Ferus stay open? How does he do this?
8. What did Irwin love as a teen?
9. What does Robert do after leaving school?
10. What leads Irwin from lines to dots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irwin spends time in the desert.
Part 1) Describe Irwin's time in the desert. Why does he decide to spend time in the desert? How is this decision related to his feelings about his art?
Part 2) How does Irwin benefit from this time in the desert? How does it affect his art? How do his feelings while he is in the desert reflect his personality?
Part 3) Describe a place you have gone that give you a sense of peace or renewed energy. Why did this place have this kind of power? Have you returned to this place? Why or why not? Would you like to return to this place? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Irwin is very liberal in his thinking.
Part 1) Describe Irwin's thinking. How has in upbringing influenced his liberal views? How else have his liberal views been formed?
Part 2) How do his liberal views reflect his personality? How do they also affect his art?
Part 3) What type of thinker are you? Would you consider yourself a liberal, a conservative, or somewhere in between. Why? What has influenced these views?
Essay Topic 3
Irwin grows bored.
Part 1) Of what does Irwin grow bored? Why? What doe she think about this boredom? How does this boredom affect him? Is this good? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do you believe many artists grow tired of their style or medium? Why or why not? How might most artists deal with boredom or burn-out? Why do you believe this?
Part 3) When are you bored? How do you deal with boredom? Do you see boredom as something positive? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)