|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Legatt need to exit the ship?
2. What time does the captain go up on deck after deciding Legatt should leave?
3. What did Leggatt do that nearly alerted the steward to his presence just before the latter broke an object on the second day out?
4. What color is the skipper of the Sephora's facial hair?
5. Who does the captain believe is harmless, even though he poses the largest threat to finding Legatt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A constant and recurring if not directly expressed conflict in the story is between the person's exterior conduct and his interior consciousness. This psychosomatic struggle constantly demonstrates itself in the struggles of the captain and Leggatt as they maneuver to maintain their secret. Compose an essay analyzing these struggles and explicate their significance in discerning character strengths and weaknesses. How do the characters compose themselves under psychological duress? What emotions do the two men have to struggle against? In what situations do the emotions get the better of them? How do they conquer their emotions and strain?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does the author demonstrate the mental strain that the captain is experiencing as a result of keeping Legatt and his secret? Give at least three examples in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Legatt's story versus the skipper's version of the story. Does the author leave any room for the captain to believe the skipper over Legatt? Why or why not?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)