|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does the captain move away from the rail and consequently catch the suspicious eye of the helmsman?
(a) To look at the map.
(b) To go below decks.
(c) To speak with the helmsman.
(d) To look at the compass.
2. Who does the captain share Legatt's secret with?
(a) His chief mate.
(b) His second mate.
(c) The steward.
(d) No one.
3. With what ships' murder stories does the chief mate compare the situation on the Sephora after the departure of the Sephora's captain?
(a) Yankee ships.
(b) Japanese ships.
(c) Slaver ships.
(d) African ships.
4. What is the name of the Sephora's skipper?
5. Where do the captain and Legatt always speak to each other?
(a) In the captain's state room.
(b) In the captain's closet.
(c) In the galley.
(d) In the cargo area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is most surprised by the ship's course change?
2. What are the gold coins in the story called?
3. After Leggatt makes his small gesture to the captain, what shout breaks the spell of silence on decks?
4. How does the captain feel when he is on deck with the crew, knowing Legatt is hiding below?
5. What is a synonymous phrase for the command the captain gives while near the island, "Hard alee"?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)