* The unnamed captain, who is also the narrator, describes the Gulf of Siam.
* The story is told from the captain's point of view, so the reader never gets his name.
* The story opens with him aboard his new ship describing the scenery.
* There is a sense of starting a new journey.
* The captain briefly introduces his main officers who are a chief mate and a second mate.
* The chief mate is described as having an abundant amount of whiskers, being a comical character, and being someone who finds it necessary to find a logical reason for everything.
* The second mate is described as being young, round-cheeked, quiet, serious, and wise beyond his years.
* The captain describes the feelings of uncertainty experienced on his first command.
* The captain has only been a captain for two weeks prior to coming aboard the ship.
* He is the odd ball because...
This section contains 2,884 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)