• The unnamed captain, who is also the narrator, describes the Gulf of Siam.
• The story is told from the captain's point of view, so the reader never gets his name.
• The story opens with him aboard his new ship describing the scenery.
• There is a sense of starting a new journey.
• The captain briefly introduces his main officers who are a chief mate and a second mate.
• The chief mate is described as having an abundant amount of whiskers, being a comical character, and being someone who finds it necessary to find a logical reason for everything.
• The second mate is described as being young, round-cheeked, quiet, serious, and wise beyond his years.
• The captain describes the feelings of uncertainty experienced on his first command.
• The captain has only been a captain for two weeks prior to coming aboard the ship.
• He is the odd ball because...
This section contains 2,884 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)