|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After assuring Winnie that things will turn out all right in their escape, what does Ossipon do?
2. Which type of fish does the assistant commissioner eventually tell Private Secretary Toodles he is pursuing in connection with the Greenwich Park bombing case on the evening of that incident?
3. Specifically, what is it Winnie offers in exchange for Ossipon's assistance in escape on the evening of Mr. Verloc's demise?
4. What does Mr. Verloc give his wife to hide on the evening of the bombing, and where does she place it?
5. What kind of transportation have Winnie and Ossipon chosen to take on the evening of Mr. Verloc's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
2. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
3. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
4. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
5. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
6. What three things surprise Mr. Verloc upon his return from his ten days away?
7. What is the assistant commissioner's primary goal in briefing Sir Ethelred?
8. What are two objections Mrs. Verloc has toward Mrs. Neale?
9. What is described as being what Mrs. Verloc fears most in the beginning of Chapter 12?
10. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Verloc has friends of his who are members of the International Red Committee as guests discussing social reform and terrorism. Examine how the author uses his novel, The Secret Agent, as a satire on anarchism.
Essay Topic 2
Ossipon is introduced in Chapter 3 during the meeting in Mr. Verloc's parlor. The professor is introduced when he is met by chance by Ossipon at the Silenus beer-hall in Chapter 4. The pair are detailed at length through their encounter in this chapter. At the end of the novel the pair again go to the Silenus. Explore and compare each of these character's dispositions, what changes have occurred by the final chapter, and why.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, the reader discovers Mr. Verloc is a secret agent and later discovers he has been an informant. Examine in detail this and other instances of how Conrad approaches the theme of loyalty.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)