|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the assistant commissioner's response to the secretary of state's decision to have Heat removed from the investigation of the Greenwich Park explosion?
2. With the fear of the gallows looming ahead of her, what is it Winnie initially decides to do on the night of Mr. Verloc's death?
3. What is the reason Mr. Verloc offers for Stevie accompanying him on a little country vacation?
4. Having returned to her residence with Ossipon on the evening she murdered Mr. Verloc, where does Winnie see that the light remains on?
5. In Chapter 9, when does Mr. Verloc return from his trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the characters in Conrad's novel are not whom they initially seem to be. Some are harder than they might have at first appeared, others not quite as cold or callous. Take four characters and examine how they are different by the end of the tale than at first encountered. Describe the individual's outlook and view of the world and what motivates them to change.
Essay Topic 2
Adolf Verloc is found to be a French spy by the second chapter. But it is not until Chapter 6 that the reader learns he has also been an informant for Chief Inspector Heat. By the end of Chapter 5 it is know that the bomb victim was not Heat as thought possible in Chapter 4, but who is it then? Examine how Conrad uses surprise and secrecy throughout his novel.
Essay Topic 3
The professor is never identified beyond his nickname, however, his character is a significant one in the story. Examine his encounter initially with Ossipon in Chapter 4 and once again in Chapter 13. Examine the professor's personality before and subsequent to the bomb explosion, and compare it to Ossipon's before and subsequent to the death of Winnie.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)