|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the assistant commissioner find outside the Verloc pornography shop on the evening of the Greenwich Park bombing?
2. After assuring Winnie that things will turn out all right in their escape, what does Ossipon do?
3. What is Stevie's reaction when the cab driver starts whipping the horse during the ride to his mother's charity home?
4. What concern does the secretary of state express when briefed by the assistant commissioner regarding his suspect of the Greenwich Park explosion?
5. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to convince his wife of concerning their relationship in their conversation after Heat departs their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Shortly after murdering Mr. Verloc, which individual does Winnie encounter in the street offering his assistance, and why is it ironic?
2. What are two objections Mrs. Verloc has toward Mrs. Neale?
3. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
4. What is described as being what Mrs. Verloc fears most in the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
6. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
7. What does Mrs. Verloc's sibling do when a cab driver whips his horse on the ride over to the charity home? Why does her sibling reaction in this way?
8. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
9. How does Chapter 8 conclude with regard to Mrs. Neale?
10. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adolf Verloc is found to be a French spy by the second chapter. But it is not until Chapter 6 that the reader learns he has also been an informant for Chief Inspector Heat. By the end of Chapter 5 it is know that the bomb victim was not Heat as thought possible in Chapter 4, but who is it then? Examine how Conrad uses surprise and secrecy throughout his novel.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the theme of relationships in exploring characters throughout his novel. Examine the relationship between Stevie and Mr. Verloc prior to Stevie's mother moving into a charity home, and afterward. Provide examples to display the change that takes place. Discuss the motivation behind the transformation.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Verloc has friends of his who are members of the International Red Committee as guests discussing social reform and terrorism. Examine how the author uses his novel, The Secret Agent, as a satire on anarchism.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)