|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the assistant commissioner's action with the secretary of state's private secretary early in the evening of the Greenwich Park bombing?
2. Once having interviewed Mr. Verloc, what is it that the assistant commissioner quickly stresses to the secretary of state that he learned during his investigation regarding the Greenwich Park bombing?
3. When asked, what is it that the secretary of state is told that makes it unnecessary to incarcerate the person he is concerned about?
4. On the afternoon he returns from his trip, why does Mr. Verloc decides he will go outside?
5. Which type of fish does the assistant commissioner eventually tell Private Secretary Toodles he is pursuing in connection with the Greenwich Park bombing case on the evening of that incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
2. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
3. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
4. What name does Mrs. Verloc refer to Ossipon by and why does it excite him?
5. What is the assistant commissioner watching at the conclusion of Chapter 7 and what does he observe?
6. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
7. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
8. How does Chapter 8 conclude with regard to Mrs. Neale?
9. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
10. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 9-13, Conrad introduces into the plot numerous ironic twists of fate involving the Verlocs and Ossipon. Please describe these twists and the irony involved. Examine how Conrad uses any other ironies within his tale.
Essay Topic 2
Joseph Conrad uses the technique of foreshadowing throughout his text to suggest specific events that will transpire in later chapters. The nature of the Verloc's pornography shop revealed in Chapter 1, for instance, suggests they cross the line of respectability and not everything they engage in is legal. This foreshadows illegal activities in which Mr. Verloc will be engaged in later chapters. Examine five similar examples of where the author has used this technique of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Another theme Conrad uses is that of trust. For example, Mrs. Verloc must trust in order for her brother and mother to be accepted into her husband's home. Examine how Conrad runs this theme of trust throughout his novel through other examples.
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)