|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what is the initial destination the Assistant Commissioner goes to for the second time that evening?
2. After Winnie's mother has moved, Mrs. Verloc attempts to convey her concerns that Stevie will soon become depressed. Mr. Verloc tells her to bring in a neighbor woman to assist her because he will be where?
3. How does Winnie learn Stevie was killed in the bombing earlier that day at Greenwich Park?
4. When Mr. Verloc confronts Winnie on the night of Stevies death, what does he say about the death?
5. On the evening of Mr. Verloc's death, Ossipon suggests they take a midnight train away, however, Winnie insists on returning to the shop saying she recalls what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Mrs. Verloc's mother is doing at the start of Chapter 8 and what is motivating her?
2. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
3. What is the opening scene of Chapter 11once Chief Inspector Heat has departed the Verloc home?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 10, which fish are used in the discussion concerning the level of importance of the political figure to be caught?
5. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
6. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
8. How does Chapter 8 conclude with regard to Mrs. Neale?
9. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
10. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad establishes scenes by laying out in great detail the stage setting upon which the scene will take place. For instance, in Chapter 1 he provides an extensive description of the front window and entrance to the Verloc's pornography shop. In Chapter 4 he delivers a virtual snapshot of the Silenus beer-hall where Ossipon encounters the professor. Discuss how Conrad uses this technique to establish settings in which scenes take place.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 9-13, Conrad introduces into the plot numerous ironic twists of fate involving the Verlocs and Ossipon. Please describe these twists and the irony involved. Examine how Conrad uses any other ironies within his tale.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Conrad's tale upon the actual bombing around which it is loosely based. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Did Conrad's work warrant the complaint it received?
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)