|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the assistant commissioner speaks with him early in the evening of the Greenwich Park blast, the secretary of state is in what condition?
2. How do Winnie and Ossipon plan to make their way to the point of departure in their escape from London?
3. After Winnie's mother has moved, Mrs. Verloc attempts to convey her concerns that Stevie will soon become depressed. Mr. Verloc tells her to bring in a neighbor woman to assist her because he will be where?
4. How does Mrs. Verloc feel about her mother's decision to move out?
5. What reason does the assistant commissioner give the secretary of state to have Heat removed from the investigation of that explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
2. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
4. What are two objections Mrs. Verloc has toward Mrs. Neale?
5. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
6. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
7. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
8. Describe what Mrs. Verloc's mother is doing at the start of Chapter 8 and what is motivating her?
9. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
10. What name does Mrs. Verloc refer to Ossipon by and why does it excite him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Verloc has friends of his who are members of the International Red Committee as guests discussing social reform and terrorism. Examine how the author uses his novel, The Secret Agent, as a satire on anarchism.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 9-13, Conrad introduces into the plot numerous ironic twists of fate involving the Verlocs and Ossipon. Please describe these twists and the irony involved. Examine how Conrad uses any other ironies within his tale.
Essay Topic 3
Adolf Verloc is found to be a French spy by the second chapter. But it is not until Chapter 6 that the reader learns he has also been an informant for Chief Inspector Heat. By the end of Chapter 5 it is know that the bomb victim was not Heat as thought possible in Chapter 4, but who is it then? Examine how Conrad uses surprise and secrecy throughout his novel.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)