|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concern does the secretary of state express when briefed by the assistant commissioner regarding his suspect of the Greenwich Park explosion?
2. What is Stevie's reaction when the cab driver starts whipping the horse during the ride to his mother's charity home?
3. Which type of fish does the assistant commissioner eventually tell Private Secretary Toodles he is pursuing in connection with the Greenwich Park bombing case on the evening of that incident?
4. How did Mrs. Verloc's mother convince officials to allow her a place in a charity home when she had family to take care of her?
5. When the assistant commissioner speaks with him early in the evening of the Greenwich Park blast, the secretary of state is in what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
2. What is the opening scene of Chapter 11once Chief Inspector Heat has departed the Verloc home?
3. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
4. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
5. How does Chapter 8 conclude with regard to Mrs. Neale?
6. What does Mrs. Verloc's sibling do when a cab driver whips his horse on the ride over to the charity home? Why does her sibling reaction in this way?
7. What are two objections Mrs. Verloc has toward Mrs. Neale?
8. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
9. What is the assistant commissioner's primary goal in briefing Sir Ethelred?
10. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adolf Verloc is found to be a French spy by the second chapter. But it is not until Chapter 6 that the reader learns he has also been an informant for Chief Inspector Heat. By the end of Chapter 5 it is know that the bomb victim was not Heat as thought possible in Chapter 4, but who is it then? Examine how Conrad uses surprise and secrecy throughout his novel.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Verloc fears the consequences of failing to satisfy his superiors. Consider in detail this and other instances of Conrad's use of the theme of fear in his story.
Essay Topic 3
Joseph Conrad uses the technique of foreshadowing throughout his text to suggest specific events that will transpire in later chapters. The nature of the Verloc's pornography shop revealed in Chapter 1, for instance, suggests they cross the line of respectability and not everything they engage in is legal. This foreshadows illegal activities in which Mr. Verloc will be engaged in later chapters. Examine five similar examples of where the author has used this technique of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)