|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once having interviewed Mr. Verloc, what is it that the assistant commissioner quickly stresses to the secretary of state that he learned during his investigation regarding the Greenwich Park bombing?
2. Comrade Ossipon appears in the vicinity of the Verloc residence on the night of Mr. Verloc's death and finds Mrs. Verloc appearing in what condition to him?
3. After stabbing Mr Verloc, Winnie's reaction is to what?
4. When asked, what is it that the secretary of state is told that makes it unnecessary to incarcerate the person he is concerned about?
5. Why does Mrs. Verloc's mother wish to move into a charity home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Verloc's sibling do when a cab driver whips his horse on the ride over to the charity home? Why does her sibling reaction in this way?
2. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
3. What is described as being what Mrs. Verloc fears most in the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
5. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
6. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
7. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
8. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
9. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
10. How does Chapter 8 conclude with regard to Mrs. Neale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc. What motivates each of them to get married? Why is it they stay together? What are the ironies of their relationship? Examine their marriage coming apart at the death of Stevie.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, Stevie is able to listen to the International Red Committee members' discussion in the parlor from his position in the adjoining kitchen. Conrad allows the reader to know that Stevie is easily upset by so much as a description of cruelty toward others. This foreshadows his reactions to subsequent events. Examine what transpires in this chapter which lays the foundation for this matter in Conrad's tale. Follow it through to the conclusion of Stevie's role in Adolf Verloc's plot.
Essay Topic 3
Toodles, the secretary of state's private secretary, only appears in two chapters. He is initially introduced in Chapter 7, when the assistant commissioner first reports to the secretary of state, and again in Chapter 10, when the assistant commissioner returns unexpectedly early to make his report to the secretary of state. Examine how the author uses this new character, Toodles, and both encounters he has with the assistant commissioner in relaying his tale.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)