|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to convince his wife of concerning their relationship in their conversation after Heat departs their home?
2. After Winnie's mother has moved, Mrs. Verloc attempts to convey her concerns that Stevie will soon become depressed. Mr. Verloc tells her to bring in a neighbor woman to assist her because he will be where?
3. What sort of restaurant does the assistant commissioner eat dinner at on the evening of the Greenwich Park blast?
4. What does Winnie request of her husband in response to his decision to go outside on the afternoon of his first day back from his trip?
5. On the evening of Mr. Verloc's death, Ossipon suggests they take a midnight train away, however, Winnie insists on returning to the shop saying she recalls what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
2. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
3. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
4. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
5. What does Mrs. Verloc's sibling do when a cab driver whips his horse on the ride over to the charity home? Why does her sibling reaction in this way?
6. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
7. What is described as being what Mrs. Verloc fears most in the beginning of Chapter 12?
8. What is the opening scene of Chapter 11once Chief Inspector Heat has departed the Verloc home?
9. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
10. What is the assistant commissioner's primary goal in briefing Sir Ethelred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Conrad's tale upon the actual bombing around which it is loosely based. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Did Conrad's work warrant the complaint it received?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Verloc has friends of his who are members of the International Red Committee as guests discussing social reform and terrorism. Examine how the author uses his novel, The Secret Agent, as a satire on anarchism.
Essay Topic 3
Conrad skillfully uses dilemmas faced by characters within his novel. These are situations where the characters must make choices that have consequences. At the start of the story, Mr. Verloc must choose whether he will satisfy Mr. Vladimir's desire for the bombing of a science center, or risk losing his financial support and possibly his well-being. Select four situations where characters face dilemmas. Detail the choices that must be made, the consequences they need to consider, and what motivates them to take the paths they choose. Do any of them have the same motivation(s)?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)