Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 7, what does the assistant commissioner ensure when he returns to his office following his evening meeting with the secretary of state?
2. What does Mr. Verloc give his wife to hide on the evening of the bombing, and where does she place it?
3. Specifically, what is it Winnie offers in exchange for Ossipon's assistance in escape on the evening of Mr. Verloc's demise?
4. Comrade Ossipon appears in the vicinity of the Verloc residence on the night of Mr. Verloc's death and finds Mrs. Verloc appearing in what condition to him?
5. When asked, what is it that the secretary of state is told that makes it unnecessary to incarcerate the person he is concerned about?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Verloc fears the consequences of failing to satisfy his superiors. Consider in detail this and other instances of Conrad's use of the theme of fear in his story.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, the reader discovers Mr. Verloc is a secret agent and later discovers he has been an informant. Examine in detail this and other instances of how Conrad approaches the theme of loyalty.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Verloc has friends of his who are members of the International Red Committee as guests discussing social reform and terrorism. Examine how the author uses his novel, The Secret Agent, as a satire on anarchism.
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)