|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Mr. Verloc offers for Stevie accompanying him on a little country vacation?
2. As they prepare to escape from Lonaon, how much of Mr. Verloc's money does Winnie give to Ossipon, and what does she tell him aids in the use of it?
3. What kind of transportation have Winnie and Ossipon chosen to take on the evening of Mr. Verloc's death?
4. When briefed, what is the secretary of state told was the intended bombing target?
5. On the evening of Stevie's death, when Winnie goes upstairs, what does her husband think she is going to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the assistant commissioner go to see at the start of Chapter 7? What figure of speech is used to compare these two figures? And what does the person the assistant commission visits express as his initial concern?
2. Shortly after murdering Mr. Verloc, which individual does Winnie encounter in the street offering his assistance, and why is it ironic?
3. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
4. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
5. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
6. What three things surprise Mr. Verloc upon his return from his ten days away?
7. What is the opening scene of Chapter 11once Chief Inspector Heat has departed the Verloc home?
8. What is the assistant commissioner's primary goal in briefing Sir Ethelred?
9. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
10. What is the assistant commissioner watching at the conclusion of Chapter 7 and what does he observe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The professor is never identified beyond his nickname, however, his character is a significant one in the story. Examine his encounter initially with Ossipon in Chapter 4 and once again in Chapter 13. Examine the professor's personality before and subsequent to the bomb explosion, and compare it to Ossipon's before and subsequent to the death of Winnie.
Essay Topic 2
Ossipon is introduced in Chapter 3 during the meeting in Mr. Verloc's parlor. The professor is introduced when he is met by chance by Ossipon at the Silenus beer-hall in Chapter 4. The pair are detailed at length through their encounter in this chapter. At the end of the novel the pair again go to the Silenus. Explore and compare each of these character's dispositions, what changes have occurred by the final chapter, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Toodles, the secretary of state's private secretary, only appears in two chapters. He is initially introduced in Chapter 7, when the assistant commissioner first reports to the secretary of state, and again in Chapter 10, when the assistant commissioner returns unexpectedly early to make his report to the secretary of state. Examine how the author uses this new character, Toodles, and both encounters he has with the assistant commissioner in relaying his tale.
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)