Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 7, what does the assistant commissioner ensure when he returns to his office following his evening meeting with the secretary of state?
2. What does Mr. Verloc give his wife to hide on the evening of the bombing, and where does she place it?
3. Specifically, what is it Winnie offers in exchange for Ossipon's assistance in escape on the evening of Mr. Verloc's demise?
4. Comrade Ossipon appears in the vicinity of the Verloc residence on the night of Mr. Verloc's death and finds Mrs. Verloc appearing in what condition to him?
5. When asked, what is it that the secretary of state is told that makes it unnecessary to incarcerate the person he is concerned about?
Joseph Conrad uses the technique of foreshadowing throughout his text to suggest specific events that will transpire in later chapters. The nature of the Verloc's pornography shop revealed in Chapter 1, for instance, suggests they cross the line of respectability and not everything they engage in is legal. This foreshadows illegal activities in which Mr. Verloc will be engaged in later chapters. Examine five similar examples of where the author has used this technique of foreshadowing.
Toodles, the secretary of state's private secretary, only appears in two chapters. He is initially introduced in Chapter 7, when the assistant commissioner first reports to the secretary of state, and again in Chapter 10, when the assistant commissioner returns unexpectedly early to make his report to the secretary of state. Examine how the author uses this new character, Toodles, and both encounters he has with the assistant commissioner in relaying his tale.
Conrad establishes scenes by laying out in great detail the stage setting upon which the scene will take place. For instance, in Chapter 1 he provides an extensive description of the front window and entrance to the Verloc's pornography shop. In Chapter 4 he delivers a virtual snapshot of the Silenus beer-hall where Ossipon encounters the professor. Discuss how Conrad uses this technique to establish settings in which scenes take place.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)