|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Winnie's mother entrust what she views as her most valuable asset, her son Stevie?
2. On the evening of Stevie's death after Winnie has gone upstairs, what happens when Mr. Verloc enters his parlor and finds the meal his wife prepared earlier laid out?
3. When it becomes apparent during their confrontation that Winnie wants to leave him, what does Mr. Verloc say to get a response from her?
4. What does Winnie request of her husband in response to his decision to go outside on the afternoon of his first day back from his trip?
5. After stabbing Mr Verloc, Winnie's reaction is to what?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc. What motivates each of them to get married? Why is it they stay together? What are the ironies of their relationship? Examine their marriage coming apart at the death of Stevie.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the theme of relationships in exploring characters throughout his novel. Examine the relationship between Stevie and Mr. Verloc prior to Stevie's mother moving into a charity home, and afterward. Provide examples to display the change that takes place. Discuss the motivation behind the transformation.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, Stevie is able to listen to the International Red Committee members' discussion in the parlor from his position in the adjoining kitchen. Conrad allows the reader to know that Stevie is easily upset by so much as a description of cruelty toward others. This foreshadows his reactions to subsequent events. Examine what transpires in this chapter which lays the foundation for this matter in Conrad's tale. Follow it through to the conclusion of Stevie's role in Adolf Verloc's plot.
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)