|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Winnie's mother entrust what she views as her most valuable asset, her son Stevie?
2. When Mr. Verloc confronts Winnie on the night of Stevies death, what does he say about the death?
3. How long before the bombing does Winnie's mother move from the Verloc residence into the charity home?
4. What does the assistant commissioner observe at the restaurant he has dinner at on the evening of the Greenwich Park explosion?
5. Regarding Stevie wandering away, what does Mrs. Verloc assure her husband?
Essay Topic 1
The professor is never identified beyond his nickname, however, his character is a significant one in the story. Examine his encounter initially with Ossipon in Chapter 4 and once again in Chapter 13. Examine the professor's personality before and subsequent to the bomb explosion, and compare it to Ossipon's before and subsequent to the death of Winnie.
Essay Topic 2
Conrad skillfully uses dilemmas faced by characters within his novel. These are situations where the characters must make choices that have consequences. At the start of the story, Mr. Verloc must choose whether he will satisfy Mr. Vladimir's desire for the bombing of a science center, or risk losing his financial support and possibly his well-being. Select four situations where characters face dilemmas. Detail the choices that must be made, the consequences they need to consider, and what motivates them to take the paths they choose. Do any of them have the same motivation(s)?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, the reader discovers Mr. Verloc is a secret agent and later discovers he has been an informant. Examine in detail this and other instances of how Conrad approaches the theme of loyalty.
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)