|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the assistant commissioner give the secretary of state to have Heat removed from the investigation of that explosion?
2. What does Mr. Verloc tell his wife when he finds her right after Heat leaves their home?
3. When Ossipon encounters Winnie in the street not far from her shop on the evening of Mr. Verloc's death, he subsequently accompanies her to the Verloc parlor and he believes what?
4. When Mrs. Verloc looked back into the parlor where Mr. Verloc was dead, how did he appear to her?
5. What does Winnie silently promise herself after Stevie's encounter with the cab driver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the characters in Conrad's novel are not whom they initially seem to be. Some are harder than they might have at first appeared, others not quite as cold or callous. Take four characters and examine how they are different by the end of the tale than at first encountered. Describe the individual's outlook and view of the world and what motivates them to change.
Essay Topic 2
Conrad establishes scenes by laying out in great detail the stage setting upon which the scene will take place. For instance, in Chapter 1 he provides an extensive description of the front window and entrance to the Verloc's pornography shop. In Chapter 4 he delivers a virtual snapshot of the Silenus beer-hall where Ossipon encounters the professor. Discuss how Conrad uses this technique to establish settings in which scenes take place.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 9-13, Conrad introduces into the plot numerous ironic twists of fate involving the Verlocs and Ossipon. Please describe these twists and the irony involved. Examine how Conrad uses any other ironies within his tale.
This section contains 1,527 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)