|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Private Secretary Toodles initially assume when the assistant sommissioner arrives unexpectedly soon at the office of the secretary of state?
2. What is Winnie's response to Mr. Verloc immediately after Heat leaves their home?
3. What is Stevie's reaction when the cab driver starts whipping the horse during the ride to his mother's charity home?
4. What is Winnie concerned about while Mr. Verloc is on his trip in Chapter 9?
5. Specifically, what is it Winnie offers in exchange for Ossipon's assistance in escape on the evening of Mr. Verloc's demise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two objections Mrs. Verloc has toward Mrs. Neale?
2. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
3. What is the opening scene of Chapter 11once Chief Inspector Heat has departed the Verloc home?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 10, which fish are used in the discussion concerning the level of importance of the political figure to be caught?
5. What does Mrs. Verloc's sibling do when a cab driver whips his horse on the ride over to the charity home? Why does her sibling reaction in this way?
6. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
7. What is the assistant commissioner watching at the conclusion of Chapter 7 and what does he observe?
8. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
9. What is described as being what Mrs. Verloc fears most in the beginning of Chapter 12?
10. Describe what Mrs. Verloc's mother is doing at the start of Chapter 8 and what is motivating her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adolf Verloc is found to be a French spy by the second chapter. But it is not until Chapter 6 that the reader learns he has also been an informant for Chief Inspector Heat. By the end of Chapter 5 it is know that the bomb victim was not Heat as thought possible in Chapter 4, but who is it then? Examine how Conrad uses surprise and secrecy throughout his novel.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the characters in Conrad's novel are not whom they initially seem to be. Some are harder than they might have at first appeared, others not quite as cold or callous. Take four characters and examine how they are different by the end of the tale than at first encountered. Describe the individual's outlook and view of the world and what motivates them to change.
Essay Topic 3
Conrad skillfully uses dilemmas faced by characters within his novel. These are situations where the characters must make choices that have consequences. At the start of the story, Mr. Verloc must choose whether he will satisfy Mr. Vladimir's desire for the bombing of a science center, or risk losing his financial support and possibly his well-being. Select four situations where characters face dilemmas. Detail the choices that must be made, the consequences they need to consider, and what motivates them to take the paths they choose. Do any of them have the same motivation(s)?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)