|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the assistant commissioner find outside the Verloc pornography shop on the evening of the Greenwich Park bombing?
2. What is Mr. Verloc's reaction to his mother-in-law's decision to move out?
3. What is Stevie's reaction when the cab driver starts whipping the horse during the ride to his mother's charity home?
4. As they prepare to escape from Lonaon, how much of Mr. Verloc's money does Winnie give to Ossipon, and what does she tell him aids in the use of it?
5. After Winnie's mother has moved, Mrs. Verloc attempts to convey her concerns that Stevie will soon become depressed. Mr. Verloc tells her to bring in a neighbor woman to assist her because he will be where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
2. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
4. What name does Mrs. Verloc refer to Ossipon by and why does it excite him?
5. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
6. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
7. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
8. What is the assistant commissioner's primary goal in briefing Sir Ethelred?
9. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
10. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad establishes scenes by laying out in great detail the stage setting upon which the scene will take place. For instance, in Chapter 1 he provides an extensive description of the front window and entrance to the Verloc's pornography shop. In Chapter 4 he delivers a virtual snapshot of the Silenus beer-hall where Ossipon encounters the professor. Discuss how Conrad uses this technique to establish settings in which scenes take place.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Verloc's mother was introduced at the start of the book, but steps out of the story in the flashback that takes place several weeks prior to the bombing. In Chapter 8, the reader learns a good bit about her character and the role she attempted to have in Stevie's well-being. Examine how Conrad uses this character in relaying his tale.
Essay Topic 3
One of a variety of themes which run through Conrad's novel is social reform and terrorist acts. Examine and compare the different character's views of this topic. Include the members of the International Red Committee, the professor, Chief Inspector Heat, the assistant commissioner, and the secretary of state. Consider how Conrad uses this theme through his novel.
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)