|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the assistant commissioner speaks with him early in the evening of the Greenwich Park blast, the secretary of state is in what condition?
2. Following a verbal confrontation between Winnie and Mr. Verloc on the evening she learns of Stevie's death, what does her Mr. Verloc presume?
3. On the evening she learns of Stevies' death, what happens when Winnie comes downstairs dressed in black, including a veil and small purse as though she is going out?
4. Comrade Ossipon appears in the vicinity of the Verloc residence on the night of Mr. Verloc's death and finds Mrs. Verloc appearing in what condition to him?
5. Once the Assistant Commissioner arrives at the reported center of the empire, there are several constables who do what upon seeing him departing the vehicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
2. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
3. What is the assistant commissioner's primary goal in briefing Sir Ethelred?
4. Shortly after murdering Mr. Verloc, which individual does Winnie encounter in the street offering his assistance, and why is it ironic?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 10, which fish are used in the discussion concerning the level of importance of the political figure to be caught?
6. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
7. What name does Mrs. Verloc refer to Ossipon by and why does it excite him?
8. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
9. What is the opening scene of Chapter 11once Chief Inspector Heat has departed the Verloc home?
10. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conrad skillfully uses dilemmas faced by characters within his novel. These are situations where the characters must make choices that have consequences. At the start of the story, Mr. Verloc must choose whether he will satisfy Mr. Vladimir's desire for the bombing of a science center, or risk losing his financial support and possibly his well-being. Select four situations where characters face dilemmas. Detail the choices that must be made, the consequences they need to consider, and what motivates them to take the paths they choose. Do any of them have the same motivation(s)?
Essay Topic 2
Honesty, or lack of it, is a trait that is touched upon repeatedly by Conrad in this work. Some lacked virtually any at all. Others' levels of honesty were determined by what they were seeking. Examine the trait of honesty in the characters in this tale and what governed it.
Essay Topic 3
Toodles, the secretary of state's private secretary, only appears in two chapters. He is initially introduced in Chapter 7, when the assistant commissioner first reports to the secretary of state, and again in Chapter 10, when the assistant commissioner returns unexpectedly early to make his report to the secretary of state. Examine how the author uses this new character, Toodles, and both encounters he has with the assistant commissioner in relaying his tale.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)