|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie explain to Stevie about the purpose of the police when he states they should do something for the poor?
2. What kind of transportation have Winnie and Ossipon chosen to take on the evening of Mr. Verloc's death?
3. When confronting Mr. Vladimir on the evening of the Greenwich Park explosion, the assistant commissioner is virtually quoting Heat when he says what?
4. On the evening of Mr. Verloc's death, Ossipon suggests they take a midnight train away, however, Winnie insists on returning to the shop saying she recalls what?
5. When he does arrive at the home of his wife's friend on the evening of the Greenwich Park blast, whom does the assistant commissioner find is a guest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
2. Shortly after murdering Mr. Verloc, which individual does Winnie encounter in the street offering his assistance, and why is it ironic?
3. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
4. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
5. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
6. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
7. Describe what Mrs. Verloc's mother is doing at the start of Chapter 8 and what is motivating her?
8. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
9. How does Chapter 8 conclude with regard to Mrs. Neale?
10. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the theme of relationships in exploring characters throughout his novel. Examine the relationship between Stevie and Mr. Verloc prior to Stevie's mother moving into a charity home, and afterward. Provide examples to display the change that takes place. Discuss the motivation behind the transformation.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Verloc fears the consequences of failing to satisfy his superiors. Consider in detail this and other instances of Conrad's use of the theme of fear in his story.
Essay Topic 3
Adolf Verloc is found to be a French spy by the second chapter. But it is not until Chapter 6 that the reader learns he has also been an informant for Chief Inspector Heat. By the end of Chapter 5 it is know that the bomb victim was not Heat as thought possible in Chapter 4, but who is it then? Examine how Conrad uses surprise and secrecy throughout his novel.
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)