|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of fish does the assistant commissioner eventually tell Private Secretary Toodles he is pursuing in connection with the Greenwich Park bombing case on the evening of that incident?
2. How does Mrs. Verloc feel about her mother's decision to move out?
3. When briefed, what is the secretary of state told was the intended bombing target?
4. In chapter 7, what does the assistant commissioner ensure when he returns to his office following his evening meeting with the secretary of state?
5. When it becomes apparent during their confrontation that Winnie wants to leave him, what does Mr. Verloc say to get a response from her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
2. What is the assistant commissioner watching at the conclusion of Chapter 7 and what does he observe?
3. What does Mrs. Verloc's sibling do when a cab driver whips his horse on the ride over to the charity home? Why does her sibling reaction in this way?
4. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
5. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
6. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. What three things surprise Mr. Verloc upon his return from his ten days away?
8. Describe what Mrs. Verloc's mother is doing at the start of Chapter 8 and what is motivating her?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 10, which fish are used in the discussion concerning the level of importance of the political figure to be caught?
10. Who does the assistant commissioner go to see at the start of Chapter 7? What figure of speech is used to compare these two figures? And what does the person the assistant commission visits express as his initial concern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme Conrad uses is that of trust. For example, Mrs. Verloc must trust in order for her brother and mother to be accepted into her husband's home. Examine how Conrad runs this theme of trust throughout his novel through other examples.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 9-13, Conrad introduces into the plot numerous ironic twists of fate involving the Verlocs and Ossipon. Please describe these twists and the irony involved. Examine how Conrad uses any other ironies within his tale.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Conrad's tale upon the actual bombing around which it is loosely based. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Did Conrad's work warrant the complaint it received?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)