|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the Assistant Commissioner arrives at the reported center of the empire, there are several constables who do what upon seeing him departing the vehicle?
2. After stabbing Mr Verloc, Winnie's reaction is to what?
3. In addition to being aware that Winnie's mother left, what else is Mr. Verloc's reaction to the domestic troubles in his home?
4. What is Stevie's reaction when the cab driver starts whipping the horse during the ride to his mother's charity home?
5. With the fear of the gallows looming ahead of her, what is it Winnie initially decides to do on the night of Mr. Verloc's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
2. Who does the assistant commissioner go to see at the start of Chapter 7? What figure of speech is used to compare these two figures? And what does the person the assistant commission visits express as his initial concern?
3. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
4. What is the opening scene of Chapter 11once Chief Inspector Heat has departed the Verloc home?
5. What is the assistant commissioner watching at the conclusion of Chapter 7 and what does he observe?
6. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. Shortly after murdering Mr. Verloc, which individual does Winnie encounter in the street offering his assistance, and why is it ironic?
8. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
9. What is described as being what Mrs. Verloc fears most in the beginning of Chapter 12?
10. What three things surprise Mr. Verloc upon his return from his ten days away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adolf Verloc is found to be a French spy by the second chapter. But it is not until Chapter 6 that the reader learns he has also been an informant for Chief Inspector Heat. By the end of Chapter 5 it is know that the bomb victim was not Heat as thought possible in Chapter 4, but who is it then? Examine how Conrad uses surprise and secrecy throughout his novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Conrad's tale upon the actual bombing around which it is loosely based. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Did Conrad's work warrant the complaint it received?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the characters in Conrad's novel are not whom they initially seem to be. Some are harder than they might have at first appeared, others not quite as cold or callous. Take four characters and examine how they are different by the end of the tale than at first encountered. Describe the individual's outlook and view of the world and what motivates them to change.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)