|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When briefed, what is the secretary of state told was the intended bombing target?
2. What is the assistant commissioner's action with the secretary of state's private secretary early in the evening of the Greenwich Park bombing?
3. What is Mr. Verloc's initial response to his wife's request concerning Stevie, in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 10, what is the initial destination the Assistant Commissioner goes to for the second time that evening?
5. What kind of transportation have Winnie and Ossipon chosen to take on the evening of Mr. Verloc's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
2. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
3. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
4. What is it the cab driver complains about at the house and what is the sibling's reaction?
5. Shortly after murdering Mr. Verloc, which individual does Winnie encounter in the street offering his assistance, and why is it ironic?
6. What three things surprise Mr. Verloc upon his return from his ten days away?
7. What is the opening scene of Chapter 11once Chief Inspector Heat has departed the Verloc home?
8. Describe what Mrs. Verloc's mother is doing at the start of Chapter 8 and what is motivating her?
9. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
10. What does Mrs. Verloc's sibling do when a cab driver whips his horse on the ride over to the charity home? Why does her sibling reaction in this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Verloc's mother was introduced at the start of the book, but steps out of the story in the flashback that takes place several weeks prior to the bombing. In Chapter 8, the reader learns a good bit about her character and the role she attempted to have in Stevie's well-being. Examine how Conrad uses this character in relaying his tale.
Essay Topic 2
Honesty, or lack of it, is a trait that is touched upon repeatedly by Conrad in this work. Some lacked virtually any at all. Others' levels of honesty were determined by what they were seeking. Examine the trait of honesty in the characters in this tale and what governed it.
Essay Topic 3
Conrad skillfully uses dilemmas faced by characters within his novel. These are situations where the characters must make choices that have consequences. At the start of the story, Mr. Verloc must choose whether he will satisfy Mr. Vladimir's desire for the bombing of a science center, or risk losing his financial support and possibly his well-being. Select four situations where characters face dilemmas. Detail the choices that must be made, the consequences they need to consider, and what motivates them to take the paths they choose. Do any of them have the same motivation(s)?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)