|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the assistant commissioner send a note to before he departs his office for the second time on the evening of the Greenwich Park explosion?
(a) His wife.
(b) Michaelis's patroness.
(c) The police commissioner.
2. How long before the bombing does Winnie's mother move from the Verloc residence into the charity home?
(a) A couple of days.
(b) Approximately a year.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) Several months.
3. What does Private Secretary Toodles initially assume when the assistant sommissioner arrives unexpectedly soon at the office of the secretary of state?
(a) That the assistant commissioner has come to report his findings and that things have gone smoothly thus far.
(b) That Chief Inspector Heat has arrived to report his findings and that things have gone smoothly thus far.
(c) That Chief Inspector Heat has arrived to report problems to the secretary of state.
(d) That the assistant commissioner has arrived to report that something has gone wrong to the secretary of state.
4. With the fear of the gallows looming ahead of her, what is it Winnie initially decides to do on the night of Mr. Verloc's death?
(a) Poison herself.
(b) Jump in front of a tram.
(c) Slit her wrists.
(d) Jump from a bridge.
5. On the evening of Stevie's death, when Winnie goes upstairs, what does her husband think she is going to do?
(a) Prepare to leave.
(b) Write a note to her mother.
6. What is Mr. Verloc's reaction to his mother-in-law's decision to move out?
(a) He is troubled only because Winnie has made it clear she is very concerned.
(b) It does not actually matter much to him, and he is relatively unaffected.
(c) He is grateful there is but one of his wife's family he now must be concerned.
(d) While there is one less mouth to feed, it bothers him that there is also one less to aid in Stevie's care.
7. What agitates Stevie at breakfast on the morning Mr. Verloc returns from his trip?
(a) When a neighbor man starts complaining about the poor not being granted basic health care, and education and occupational training opportunities.
(b) When a neighbor woman starts complaining about the difficulties in raising children with little money.
(c) When a neighbor woman starts complaining about the discrimination in not allowing woman an equal vote.
(d) When a neighbor woman starts complaining about the difficulties in raising children with little governmental support.
8. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to convince his wife of concerning their relationship in their conversation after Heat departs their home?
(a) How deeply in love he is with her and will do anything to make Winnie's loss up to her.
(b) How deeply in love he is with her and that should be sufficient for now.
(c) That he has done everything he could to support her and her family and that should be sufficient.
(d) How they will be able to sell the shop and live freely in the country without further troubles as he has been granted immunity for his testimony.
9. How does the assistant commissioner feel in regard to his conversation with Mr. Verloc on the evening of the Greenwich Park explosion?
(a) He has only partial confidence in Mr. Verloc's honesty.
(b) He is not at all satisfied.
(c) He is quite satisfied.
(d) He is not absolutely confident.
10. What is the secretary of state's response to the assistant commissioner's request to have Heat removed from the investigation of the Greenwich Park explosion?
(a) He dismisses Heat and directs the assistant commissioner to report back to him within forty-eight hours.
(b) He dismisses Heat and directs the assistant commissioner to report back to him that same night.
(c) He dismisses Heat and directs the Assistant Commissioner to assign other investigators under his direct supervision to the case.
(d) He retains Heat on the case and directs the assistant commissioner to participate in the investigation personally as well.
11. When he does arrive at the home of his wife's friend on the evening of the Greenwich Park blast, whom does the assistant commissioner find is a guest?
(a) Privy Councillor Wurmt.
(b) Mr. Vladimir.
(c) Chief Inspector Heat.
(d) The secretary of state.
12. In Chapter 10, what is the initial destination the Assistant Commissioner goes to for the second time that evening?
(a) He goes first to the Italian restaurant for dessert and a glass of vermouth as a reward to himself in the case.
(b) He goes first to his office to type his official report so Heat will be outshone when he arrives for work in the morning.
(c) He first searches out Mr. Vladimir promptly for the second time that evening now that he can establish his days as an anarchist are over.
(d) He goes first to the secretary of state to report his progress in the investigation.
13. At the start of Chapter 11, right after Heat departs, how does Mr. Verloc find Winnie?
(a) With her face in her hands.
(b) With her head on the table.
(c) Getting dressed to leave.
(d) Holding a knife.
14. How does Winnie learn Stevie was killed in the bombing earlier that day at Greenwich Park?
(a) When Heat figures out it was Winnie's brother who was killed, he then delivers this news to her in person.
(b) Winnie determines herself it was Stevie as her husband returned late without him and was acting strangely.
(c) Winnie listened through the keyhole between the parlor and the kitchen when Heat interviewed her husband.
(d) Heat shows her Stevie's overcoat name tag and she reads the newspaper article about the bombing.
15. Once the Assistant Commissioner arrives at the reported center of the empire, there are several constables who do what upon seeing him departing the vehicle?
(a) Announce a good evening to him.
(b) Turn away from him.
(c) Salute him.
(d) Challenge him for identification.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the assistant commissioner give the secretary of state to have Heat removed from the investigation of that explosion?
2. What sort of restaurant does the assistant commissioner eat dinner at on the evening of the Greenwich Park blast?
3. What does Winnie request of her husband in response to his decision to go outside on the afternoon of his first day back from his trip?
4. What is Stevie's reaction when the cab driver starts whipping the horse during the ride to his mother's charity home?
5. Who does the assistant commissioner find outside the Verloc pornography shop on the evening of the Greenwich Park bombing?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)