|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Verloc tell his wife when he finds her right after Heat leaves their home?
(a) He says how sorry he is that Stevie died.
(b) He begins to describe his second life as a secret agent. but in thinking how he must describe Stevie's death to Winnie begins to cry.
(c) He begins to describe his second life as a secret agent, and he explains all that has transpired so far.
(d) He begins to describe his second life as a secret agent, and explains all that has transpired so far, except how Stevie was killed.
2. What is the assistant commissioner's response to the secretary of state's decision to have Heat removed from the investigation of the Greenwich Park explosion?
(a) The assistant commissioner is excited and more pleased to share a high-quality brandy and Cuban cigar with the secretary of state while discussing international issues.
(b) It displeases the assistant commissioner who, nevertheless, outlines his plan of action before departing.
(c) It pleases the assistant commissioner who then outlines his plan of action before departing.
(d) It pleases the assistant commissioner who promptly departs without further discussion on the matter except to assure the secretary of state he will return as directed.
3. How did Mrs. Verloc's mother convince officials to allow her a place in a charity home when she had family to take care of her?
(a) She flirted with the main official who interviewed her and he was attracted to her.
(b) She cried each time she was pushed for answers and charmed her way with the officials.
(c) She had her simple-minded son along when she was interviewed to stress her family's plight.
(d) She agreed to work in the kitchen or help with other disabled residents if she were allowed in.
4. In chapter 7, what does the assistant commissioner ensure when he returns to his office following his evening meeting with the secretary of state?
(a) That Heat has already departed for his home.
(b) That surveillance is placed on the Verloc shop.
(c) That an investigator is assigned to follow Heat.
(d) That no one can observe the assistant commissioner executing his plan.
5. On the evening of Mr. Verloc's death, Ossipon suggests they take a midnight train away, however, Winnie insists on returning to the shop saying she recalls what?
(a) She left the lights on in the shop.
(b) She failed to lock the shop door.
(c) She left behind a large sum of money.
(d) She failed to lock the shop vault.
6. How long before the bombing does Winnie's mother move from the Verloc residence into the charity home?
(a) A couple of days.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) Approximately a year.
7. When confronting Mr. Vladimir on the evening of the Greenwich Park explosion, the assistant commissioner is virtually quoting Heat when he says what?
(a) "We were able to pinpoint the perpetrator of this incident in under twenty-four hours."
(b) "We can put our finger on every anarchist here."
(c) "We can locate any terrorist within a day."
(d) "There is always someone willing to talk in exchange for a reduced sentence."
8. What does Private Secretary Toodles initially assume when the assistant sommissioner arrives unexpectedly soon at the office of the secretary of state?
(a) That Chief Inspector Heat has arrived to report problems to the secretary of state.
(b) That the assistant commissioner has come to report his findings and that things have gone smoothly thus far.
(c) That the assistant commissioner has arrived to report that something has gone wrong to the secretary of state.
(d) That Chief Inspector Heat has arrived to report his findings and that things have gone smoothly thus far.
9. When briefed, what is the secretary of state told was the intended bombing target?
(a) The Greenwich tram station.
(b) The Greenwich Observatory.
(c) The area bombed in Greenwich Park.
(d) The main square in Greenwich.
10. On the evening of Stevie's death after Winnie has gone upstairs, what happens when Mr. Verloc enters his parlor and finds the meal his wife prepared earlier laid out?
(a) Mr. Verloc suddenly becomes very hungry and eats quickly, leaving the arving knife on a plate.
(b) Mr. Verloc is not at all hungry given the death of Stevie, and the sight of the meal disturbs him.
(c) Mr. Verloc skips the meal, goes upstairs, and continues attempting to convince Winnie he deeply loves her.
(d) Mr. Verloc sees the meal, becomes upset at the sight, and carries it into the kitchen, leaving the carving knife behind on a plate.
11. To whom does Winnie's mother entrust what she views as her most valuable asset, her son Stevie?
(a) A close neighbor who has a son.
(b) Stevie's stepfather.
(c) Her only daughter.
(d) Her only son.
12. What is Stevie's reaction when the cab driver starts whipping the horse during the ride to his mother's charity home?
(a) Stevie climbs down and refuses to get back on the cab.
(b) Stevie covers his eyes and screams for the driver to stop.
(c) Stevie becomes upset and attempts to climb down and walk.
(d) Stevie attempts to pry the whip from the cab driver's hand
13. Who does the assistant commissioner find outside the Verloc pornography shop on the evening of the Greenwich Park bombing?
(a) An individual closing the shop up.
(b) A stocky, middle-aged male just leaving
(c) A police officer walking past on his beat.
(d) Bright streetlamps offering little place to hide.
14. How does Winnie learn Stevie was killed in the bombing earlier that day at Greenwich Park?
(a) Heat shows her Stevie's overcoat name tag and she reads the newspaper article about the bombing.
(b) When Heat figures out it was Winnie's brother who was killed, he then delivers this news to her in person.
(c) Winnie listened through the keyhole between the parlor and the kitchen when Heat interviewed her husband.
(d) Winnie determines herself it was Stevie as her husband returned late without him and was acting strangely.
15. To which neighborhood does the Assistant Commissioner travel quickly by hansom from Soho on the evening of the Greenwich Park blast?
(c) Greenwich Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the assistant commissioner send a note to before he departs his office for the second time on the evening of the Greenwich Park explosion?
2. What is Winnie concerned about while Mr. Verloc is on his trip in Chapter 9?
3. What kind of transportation have Winnie and Ossipon chosen to take on the evening of Mr. Verloc's death?
4. How does Mrs. Verloc feel about her mother's decision to move out?
5. When Mrs. Verloc looked back into the parlor where Mr. Verloc was dead, how did he appear to her?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)