|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaitlin ask her father about when they go walking in Chapter 18?
2. Who does Kaitlin see Allison Crutchfield speaking to in Chapter 20?
3. Why is building the retreat so important to the Crutchfields?
4. Why is Becky furious with Kaitlin in Chapter 19?
5. In Chapter 22, Who are the subjects of the Bookends' papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 26, how does Garner explain his unwillingness to sell the land to the Crutchfields?
2. In Chapter 23, what does Kaitlin think about while in class?
3. What does Kaitlin fail to do in Chapter 20?
4. What gift does Bram give Kaitlin in Chapter 22?
5. Why was Bram not a school in Chapter 26?
6. In Chapter 19 why does Bram want to go to his old family land?
7. Why do The Bookends speak ill of Kaitlin to Bram? How does Bram react?
8. Who does Kaitlin reconcile with in Chapter 27?
9. According to Garner, what happened on the night Robert Crutchfield died?
10. Who is Hortensia and what does she want from Kaitlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deception is a theme of the novel. Kaitlin spends the better part of the novel deceiving those around her. How does Pearson use deception to keep the suspense and mystery alive in the story and keep the plot moving?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel? What are elements commonly found in this type of novel? What are some other examples of works of this genre? What similarities do these works share with Scribbler of Dreams?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of guilt in the novel Scribbler of Dreams. Who feels guilty and why? How does this character deal with his or her guilt?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)