|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Chapter 12, how does Kaitlin view the Crutchfields?
2. What do the Bookends keep doing to Kaitlin?
3. What does Bram's father want him to study at college?
4. What does Kaitlin like about the Malone land?
5. What does Kaitlin struggle with in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jack and why is he at Bram's house? What makes Kaitlin worry about him?
2. Why does Kaitlin smack Bram in Chapter 16? How does she explain her actions?
3. Who is Mrs. Flannery, and what does she tell Kaitlin about in Chapter 14?
4. What does Kaitlin consider doing to the portrait Bram painted?
5. What makes Kaitlin uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
6. In Chapter 4, what change is made to Kaitlin's father's conviction?
7. What does Kaitlin find in Bram's garage?
8. What does Kaitlin learn from Maggie's diary in Chapter 14?
9. Why is Bram reluctant to study art in college?
10. What excuse does Kaitlin give for abruptly leaving Bram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We are able to understand Kaitlin’s actions because we hear the story from her point of view. What if the story were told from another characters point of view, (e.g. Abby’s or Becky’s)? Would Kaitlin still be a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Pearson use the feud between the Malones and the Crutchfields to move the plot along? Discuss the importance of the feud and the impact of it on the central characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Deception is a theme of the novel. Kaitlin spends the better part of the novel deceiving those around her. How does Pearson use deception to keep the suspense and mystery alive in the story and keep the plot moving?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)