|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaitlin realize about the land Bram shows her?
2. What document does Kaitlin find in Chapter 11?
3. What does Kaitlin beg Becky to let her use in Chapter 8?
4. What does Bram confess to Kaitlin in Chapter 9?
5. What does Kaitlin think Jack has realized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Kaitlin feel guilty in Chapter 9?
2. What does Kaitlin learn from Maggie's diary in Chapter 14?
3. What has Kaitlin begun to lose in Chapter 12?
4. What is the significance of the signature Bram's portrait?
5. Why does Allison Crutchfield tell Kaitlin about the old Crutchfield documents?
6. Who does Kaitlin notice while she is writing in her journal, and what does she wonder about him?
7. What does Bram confess to in Chapter 12?
8. How does Kaitlin earn spending money?
9. Why is Bram reluctant to study art in college?
10. What makes Kaitlin uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deception is a theme of the novel. Kaitlin spends the better part of the novel deceiving those around her. How does Pearson use deception to keep the suspense and mystery alive in the story and keep the plot moving?
Essay Topic 2
How does Pearson use the feud between the Malones and the Crutchfields to move the plot along? Discuss the importance of the feud and the impact of it on the central characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to Kaitlin? What is their role in the novel?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)