|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distressed Clifford Odets about Hellman's testimony?
2. What commonly happened to people found guilty?
3. Hellman attributes _______ to the Russian Revolution.
4. Why was Hammett sent to jail after testifying?
5. Hellman viewed Nixon, McCarthy, and McCarran as _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What would deem someone "guilty" to the House Committee?
2. What were Hellman's opinions of how McCarthy and Nixon saw their own preaching?
3. In Hellman's opinion, what caused Communism to grow in popularity among Americans?
4. How did Hellman feel about the "friendly witnesses"?
5. Why didn't Hellman take the McCarthy hearing seriously?
6. How did Hellman receive a rude awakening after Hammett's imprisonment?
7. In the House Committee, how did measures progress after Hoover joined?
8. How were the liberal Democrats convinced to support the House Committee and Blacklist?
9. How was Truman able to get reelected in 1948?
10. How did Hellman change people's approach to the McCarthy hearings when called to testify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effect money had on Hellman's life, giving examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hellman's career surrounding these events. How does she succeed and fail? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Hellman refused to use articles that would aid her argument that she wasn't a Communist because she believed she would be reducing herself to McCarthy's level. Discuss Hellman's activities in terms of playing McCarthy's game, providing evidence from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)