|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a topic Hellman and Hammett rarely discussed?
2. For Hellman to travel, what did she need?
3. When did America first see Russia as a threat?
4. What did Hellman tell Shipley about the friendly witnesses?
5. What commonly happened to people found guilty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hellman's stance on the Communist Party? Why?
2. What did Rauh find that could help Hellman's case? Why did she refuse to use this help?
3. If Hellman hadn't learned German, would she not have left Germany so quickly?
4. What were Hellman's opinions of how McCarthy and Nixon saw their own preaching?
5. Other than the subpoena, what troubles did Hellman face? How helpful were Hellman's friends during this time?
6. Was Clifford Odets a hypocrite? How?
7. How did Hammett respond to Hellman's plan to testify? Why did he react this way?
8. Who created the Blacklist and House Committee and what was its purpose?
9. Why did Hammett end up going to jail?
10. How were the liberal Democrats convinced to support the House Committee and Blacklist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effect of Hellman in the context of Hollywood context this time. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the desire and means for control in "Scoundrel Time," both on the part of McCarthy and the Communist Party. Discuss the mode, mentality, and results.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Hellman was a target for the House Committee. What was appealing about making Hellman testify?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)