|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Wallace not elected in 1948?
2. The House Committee was originally intended to test the loyalty of ______.
3. When Hellman attended Party meetings, how involved was she?
4. Wills explains that the tactics of the Committee created an environment of _______ in America.
5. What did Hellman believe was a common right among men and the reason she accepted the Communist Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Clifford Odets a hypocrite? How?
2. If Hellman hadn't learned German, would she not have left Germany so quickly?
3. How was Gary Cooper taunting the government during his hearing?
4. What would deem someone "guilty" to the House Committee?
5. In Hellman's opinion, what caused Communism to grow in popularity among Americans?
6. Wills explains that the Cold War, like World War II, was not about fighting men or countries. What were these wars about fighting? Why was this a more formidable enemy?
7. Who created the Blacklist and House Committee and what was its purpose?
8. What was Hellman's response to the subpoena? Why did she react this way?
9. Why didn't Hellman take the McCarthy hearing seriously?
10. Why did Hellman turn down the contract to write and produce four movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effect of Hellman in the context of Hollywood context this time. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hellman's career surrounding these events. How does she succeed and fail? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Hellman refused to use articles that would aid her argument that she wasn't a Communist because she believed she would be reducing herself to McCarthy's level. Discuss Hellman's activities in terms of playing McCarthy's game, providing evidence from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)