|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hellman feel after Roosevelt's election?
2. By the early 1940's, what was Hellman's party affiliation?
3. When did McCarthy bring his first charges to the House Committee?
4. Who joined the House Committee program soon after it started.
5. Who would be listed on the Blacklist?d
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Hellman nearly unaffected by the depression?
2. How were the liberal Democrats convinced to support the House Committee and Blacklist?
3. Why did Hammett end up going to jail?
4. How were Hollywood producers under a lot of pressure during the McCarthy hearings?
5. In the House Committee, how did measures progress after Hoover joined?
6. In Hellman's opinion, what caused Communism to grow in popularity among Americans?
7. How did Hellman change people's approach to the McCarthy hearings when called to testify?
8. What was the result of being found guilty by the House Committee?
9. What does Hellman attribute the beginning of McCarthyism to?
10. Why did Hellman turn down the contract to write and produce four movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effect of Hellman in the context of Hollywood context this time. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the desire and means for control in "Scoundrel Time," both on the part of McCarthy and the Communist Party. Discuss the mode, mentality, and results.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the presence of fear in "Scoundrel Time" and how it controlled events. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)