|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date is Boot's banquet scheduled?
2. What is the name of Jakes' jackal?
3. From what town does Hitchcock reportedly score a scoop on the Fascists in Ishmaelia?
4. What does William sign for Bateson while the latter has a drink?
5. In what decade previous to William's story did many European countries attempt expeditions to Ishmaelia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An element of satire that is particularly prevalent in Evelyn Waugh's Scoop is irony. Compose an essay which demonstrates the prevalent usage of irony in the novel by discussing these points:
1) What is irony?
2) How can irony be comic?
3) What are examples of comic irony in Scoop?
Essay Topic 2
In a carefully developed analytical essay, define satire, explain how a work of fiction may be satirical, and then demonstrate how Evelyn Waugh's Scoop is a satirical novel. Which characters and actions are satirical in nature? What is satirized and how? How are the elements of satire (irony, sarcasm, exaggeration, contrast) employed by Waugh?
Essay Topic 3
If there is any one character who is a victim in the story, it is Mr. Salter. He does not understand anything that is going on around him, is ordered around by his superiors, and denigrated by his subordinates. Compose an analytical essay on the character, actions, and fate of Mr. Salter. What sort of person is he? How does he comport himself in various situations? Is his "future" as prescribed in the final lines of the book a fitting one or not? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,729 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)