Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Priscilla's dog?
2. What food does Kätchen's husband eat in William's room?
3. When the journalists leave Jacksonburg to chase Hitchcock's story, where does William go?
4. To where does William move after two photographers join his and Corker's room at the Hotel Liberty?
5. For how much does William buy the stones offered him by Kätchen?
Analyze the Boot family in a thoughtful and carefully-structured essay, explaining how the individual members form a whole, and what role the family plays in the story. How do they contrast with the rest of the world that William faces? What do they represent for William, and how is this representation shown? On what is this representation founded?
An element of satire that is particularly prevalent in Evelyn Waugh's Scoop is irony. Compose an essay which demonstrates the prevalent usage of irony in the novel by discussing these points:
1) What is irony?
2) How can irony be comic?
3) What are examples of comic irony in Scoop?
A significant theme in Evelyn Waugh's novel is the double-faced interaction of the journalists with one another. All desperate to score a big story, they frequently sabotage and undermine one another in order to get ahead. These very common actions are part of the satirical presentation of the journalistic profession as given in Scoop. In a well-structured and composed essay, analyze the significance of Waugh's satirization of the journalists throughout the story. What is important to the satire about how they treat one other? How does their conduct reflect upon the journalistic profession?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)