|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Corker's wife's name?
2. How long has Kätchen been with her husband?
3. What is the name of the proprietress of the Hotel Liberty?
4. How does Lord Copper intend to honor William Boot on his return to England?
5. After Shumble's story blows over, how many more journalists arrive in Ishmaelia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though the novel is full of bizarre, extraordinary characters, perhaps the most strongly exaggerated and therefore striking character in Scoop is Mr. Baldwin. In a well-structured essay, analyze Mr. Baldwin by answering these questions:
1) What character traits set Mr. Baldwin apart from everyone else in the story?
2) By what actions does Mr. Baldwin demonstrate himself to be unlike the rest of the story's characters?
3) What is the significance of Mr. Baldwin to the satirical nature of the story?
Essay Topic 2
In contrast to his journalistic experiences, William, at the end of Scoop, returns to his beloved Lush Places column. Write an analytical essay which compares and contrasts the life that accompanies writing Lush Places with that which accompanies the covering of big news stories. Why would William prefer the former over the latter? In what ways is Lush Places superior to that of covering wars and foreign expeditions? Are there any perks to the position William forsakes? What does William's decision say about the newspaper, as the scenario is portrayed in Scoop?
Essay Topic 3
A significant part of Evelyn Waugh's satirical portrayal of the newspaper industry in Scoop is the emphasis on yellow journalism. Compose a well-developed essay analyzing the portrayal of yellow journalism and the significance given by the satirical portrayal of its practice. In what ways does the story implicitly condemn yellow journalism? What about the practice is implied to be wrong? What actions, statements, and events support your assertions?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)