|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far outside of Jacksonburg are Pigge and Corker stuck?
2. When the journalists leave Jacksonburg to chase Hitchcock's story, where does William go?
3. Where does Lord Copper propose sending William on his next foreign assignment?
4. What is Corker's wife's name?
5. What regular Ishmaelite practice has kept the country from being colonized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the organ which puts the whole story in motion, The Daily Beast is of central importance both to the plot and the satire of Evelyn Waugh's Scoop. In an analytical essay, describe and evaluate the commercial machinations of The Daily Beast, focusing on how it is portrayed to be ridiculous. What is ironic about the paper? What is implied about the newspaper industry by the Beast serving as an exemplar? How do characters act towards the company?
Essay Topic 2
A significant part of Evelyn Waugh's satirical portrayal of the newspaper industry in Scoop is the emphasis on yellow journalism. Compose a well-developed essay analyzing the portrayal of yellow journalism and the significance given by the satirical portrayal of its practice. In what ways does the story implicitly condemn yellow journalism? What about the practice is implied to be wrong? What actions, statements, and events support your assertions?
Essay Topic 3
An element of satire that is particularly prevalent in Evelyn Waugh's Scoop is irony. Compose an essay which demonstrates the prevalent usage of irony in the novel by discussing these points:
1) What is irony?
2) How can irony be comic?
3) What are examples of comic irony in Scoop?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)