|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A third.
(d) Almost all.
2. At what time does Mr. Salter awake William by telephone while the latter is at the hotel?
(a) 4 a.m.
(b) 10 a.m.
(c) 1 p.m.
(d) 8 a.m.
3. What are the last two items William adds to his kit from the equipment emporium?
(a) A Christmas hamper and Santa Claus costume.
(b) Two cleft sticks.
(c) A coil of rope and a sheet of tin.
(d) A set of surgical instruments and portable humidor.
4. What is William's initial destination on his way to Ishmaelia?
5. What time of day does John Boot visit the Stitch residence?
(a) 12 p.m.
(b) 7 a.m.
(c) 3 p.m.
(d) 11 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lords are on staff at the Megalopolitan office?
2. From where is William supposed to leave England?
3. At what time does William Boot, after a harrowing morning in the hotel, reach Copper House, to Mr. Salter's dismay?
4. With whom does William meet at the first Ishmaelite Legation?
5. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Stitch react to John Boot's perplexed inquiries regarding his invitation to knighthood?
2. Describe the activity in Mrs. Stitch's bedroom when John Boot comes to visit her in her home.
3. Why is it, as revealed by the narrator at the beginning of Book 2, that no colonial powers have taken Ishmaelia?
4. How do the journalists generally treat one another?
5. Under what threat does William agree to be the <i>Daily Beast</i>'s war correspondent to Ishmaelia?
6. Why does Uncle Theodore sporadically sing snatches of old songs?
7. What is the chief concern of Lord Copper and Mr. Salter as William makes his way back to London, and how do they plan to deal with this concern?
8. Why do the newspapers routinely return from the sickrooms "hopelessly mutilated" at Boot Magna Hall?
9. Describe the personal quarters of Lord Copper within the Megalopolitan building.
10. In what way is Uncle Theodore unlike any of Lord Copper's banquet guests of honor, before or after?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)