|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does Corker tell William to cable back to London regarding Aden's military preparedness?
(a) "Aden warwise."
(b) "Aden unwarwise."
(c) "Arrived in Aden, staying."
(d) "Aden hot."
2. To what street is William suddenly whisked off to in a taxi in order to cover a story regarding Mrs. Stitch?
(a) St. Bride's Avenue.
(b) Walker Street.
(c) Fleet Street.
(d) Sloane Street.
3. How does Josephine Stitch always greet John Boot?
(a) By hugging him.
(b) By punching him.
(c) By kicking him.
(d) By kissing him.
4. William's heart is described as rising with the plane the first time he takes off. To what is this compared?
5. What was Mr. Salter's most recent previous position with <i>The Daily Beast</i>?
(a) Trade reporter.
(b) Editor of the Domestic News.
(c) Editor of the Women's Page.
(d) Assistant editor of the Financial Section.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items does Lord Copper especially impress upon William to take on his trip?
2. Which member of the Boot household is the richest in ready cash?
3. For what item is William asked at the very end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
4. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
5. What are the last two items William adds to his kit from the equipment emporium?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason does William move out of the Hotel Liberty and into the Pension Dressler?
2. For what reason is William and Mr. Salter's first meeting rather awkward for both men?
3. Why has John Boot's situation in London become very awkward?
4. What important piece of news does Kätchen bring to William after the former spends a morning shopping?
5. What begins to bother William professionally towards the end of Chapter 2?
6. How does Mrs. Stitch persuade Lord Copper to seek out John Boot as the foreign war correspondent to Ishmaelia?
7. For what reason does John Boot come to see Julia Stitch at the beginning of the story?
8. How do William and Corker both feel about Dr. Benito at the meeting of the Foreign Press Association?
9. How do the guests of Lord Copper's banquet amuse themselves while Lord Copper delivers his 38-minute speech?
10. In his mind, how is William's job as the author of the <i>Lush Places</i> column in the <i>Daily Beast</i> is threatened?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)