|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is William intending to depart the train?
(b) The Cote d'Azur.
2. How many times has Corker left England previous to the Ishmaelia expedition?
(d) Dozens of times.
3. Why is William perplexed by the telegram he receives from <i>The Daily Beast</i> while at Aden?
(a) He cannot understand the lingo.
(b) The telegram is addressed to John Boot.
(c) The text of the telegram is garbled.
(d) The telegram tells him to return to London.
4. What sort of coin does William mistakenly attempt to give the steward on the train to London?
(a) A shilling.
(b) A six-pence.
(c) A sovereign.
(d) A pound.
5. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
2. Who is the proprietor of <i>The Daily Brute</i>?
3. What object does Corker purchase for himself while at Steamer Point?
4. From what famous individual has Uncle Bernard traced William Boot's descent?
5. How many lords are on staff at the Megalopolitan office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William avoid meeting with any of the important members of the <i>Daily Beast</i> when he arrives in London?
2. How has Sir Jocelyn Hitchcock left the service of Lord Copper's <i>Daily Beast</i>?
3. What is revealed about the priorities of the <i>Daily Beast</i> by the man asking for William's passport as he is about to depart?
4. Describe William's interaction with his unusual fellow passenger in the restaurant car of the train to Marseilles.
5. What greatly inconveniences William on his arrival in Paris?
6. What seemingly important piece of information does William uncover by talking with Jack Bannister, and why can he not make a story of it?
7. Why is Mr. Salter sympathetic in thought if not action to William's desire to stay home and continue writing <i>Lush Places</i>?
8. How do the journalists generally treat one another?
9. What characterizes the speech of the black Ishmaelian speaking in Hyde Park when William takes a walk through?
10. In what way does Kätchen abuse William's attraction to her?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)