|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beverage does Corker attempt to order from the steward on the boat?
(a) A glass of Riesling.
(b) A glass of Bourdeaux.
(c) A tablespoon of butter.
(d) A pint of bitter.
2. What was Mr. Salter's most recent previous position with <i>The Daily Beast</i>?
(a) Editor of the Domestic News.
(b) Editor of the Women's Page.
(c) Trade reporter.
(d) Assistant editor of the Financial Section.
3. What phrase does Corker tell William to cable back to London regarding Aden's military preparedness?
(a) "Aden warwise."
(b) "Aden hot."
(c) "Aden unwarwise."
(d) "Arrived in Aden, staying."
4. Into what airport does William fly after leaving England?
(a) Aeroports de Paris.
(b) Le Bourget.
(c) Brussels Airport.
(d) Aeroport de Marseilles.
5. Which novel of John Boot's does Mrs. Stitch praise while abed?
(a) <i>The History of Time</i>.
(b) <i>Waste of Time<i/>.
(c) <i>Life of Rimbaud</i>.
(d) <i>The Great Glebe</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does William's train companion relate making the acquaintance of his valet?
2. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
3. What French philosopher is mentioned in Book 1, Chapter 4, section 6?
4. How much money is William given by <i>The Daily Beast</i> in traveler's checks?
5. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is further revealed about William when he receives his first cable from the <i>Daily Beast</i>?
2. What are the names of two places named for General Cruttwell?
3. Why has John Boot's situation in London become very awkward?
4. How has Sir Jocelyn Hitchcock left the service of Lord Copper's <i>Daily Beast</i>?
5. Why does Mr. Salter insist on walking to Boot Magna Hall, rather than riding in the truck full of slag?
6. How is William treated when he first arrives at Croydon, and what affects this sort of treatment?
7. Why is it, as revealed by the narrator at the beginning of Book 2, that no colonial powers have taken Ishmaelia?
8. How does William avoid meeting with any of the important members of the <i>Daily Beast</i> when he arrives in London?
9. In what way is Uncle Theodore unlike any of Lord Copper's banquet guests of honor, before or after?
10. How does Erik Olafsen change the more alcohol he drinks, and why is this significant?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)