|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does the Captain of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s wife keep as a pet?
(a) A screaming monkey.
(b) A hairless dog.
(c) A frisky cat.
(d) A lethargic snake.
2. At what time of the evening does Mrs. Stitch invariably go home, according to John Boot?
(a) 1 a.m.
(b) 11 p.m.
(c) 2 a.m.
3. What city is Mr. Salter attempting to locate in an atlas on occasion of his first meeting with William Boot?
4. Which activity is Mrs. Stitch NOT performing from her bed when John Boot visits?
(a) Deciding on costumes for a charity ballet.
(b) Knitting a quilt.
(c) Answering the crossword.
(d) Signing cheques.
5. Who is the proprietor of <i>The Daily Brute</i>?
(a) Sir Maubray.
(b) Lord Copper.
(c) Mr. Salter.
(d) Lord Zinc.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most valued friend of John Boot?
2. What French philosopher is mentioned in Book 1, Chapter 4, section 6?
3. On what animal has William Boot composed one of his "more finished essays," as reported in Book 1, Chapter 2?
4. After whose style has William Boot modeled his writing?
5. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his mind, how is William's job as the author of the <i>Lush Places</i> column in the <i>Daily Beast</i> is threatened?
2. For what reason does John Boot come to see Julia Stitch at the beginning of the story?
3. How is William treated when he first arrives at Croydon, and what affects this sort of treatment?
4. For what reason is William and Mr. Salter's first meeting rather awkward for both men?
5. How has Sir Jocelyn Hitchcock left the service of Lord Copper's <i>Daily Beast</i>?
6. How do the journalists generally treat one another?
7. Why do the newspapers routinely return from the sickrooms "hopelessly mutilated" at Boot Magna Hall?
8. Describe the condition of the <i>Francmacon</i>, the ship upon which William has to sail from Marseilles.
9. What is Corker's chief complaint about the journalistic profession in Jacksonburg, as he tells William just after using the latter's toothbrush?
10. For what reason is Erik Olafsen ostensibly sent out of Jacksonburg at the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 3?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)