|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what country does <i>The Daily Beast</i> want William Boot to travel?
2. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
3. What unfortunately happens to William's first passport?
(a) It is lost.
(b) It is burned.
(c) It is dropped in a river.
(d) It has a terrible photo.
4. What object of William's passes by the customs officials of the airport without scrutiny?
(a) The cleft sticks.
(b) The typewriter.
(c) His boots.
(d) The canoe.
5. What is the name of the companion's valet on the train?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which activity is Mrs. Stitch NOT performing from her bed when John Boot visits?
2. What animal does the Captain of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s wife keep as a pet?
3. What does the Swiss waiter attempt to persuade William's companion in the train to purchase?
4. For what does William's companion on the train thank William?
5. Where does John Boot wish to be sent, as revealed in his private conversation with Mrs. Stitch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seemingly important piece of information does William uncover by talking with Jack Bannister, and why can he not make a story of it?
2. How does Mrs. Stitch react to John Boot's perplexed inquiries regarding his invitation to knighthood?
3. How do the journalists generally treat one another?
4. How does Dr. Benito treat William when he discovers that the latter is not going to Laku?
5. What is the chief concern of Lord Copper and Mr. Salter as William makes his way back to London, and how do they plan to deal with this concern?
6. How is William treated when he first arrives at Croydon, and what affects this sort of treatment?
7. Why is it, as revealed by the narrator at the beginning of Book 2, that no colonial powers have taken Ishmaelia?
8. For what reason does William move out of the Hotel Liberty and into the Pension Dressler?
9. What greatly inconveniences William on his arrival in Paris?
10. Describe William's interaction with his unusual fellow passenger in the restaurant car of the train to Marseilles.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)