|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What side of the Ishmaelite conflict does Lord Copper insist is in the right?
(a) The Rebels.
(b) The Patriots.
(c) The Independents.
(d) The Traitors.
2. What sort of car does Mrs. Stitch drive?
(a) A tiny black car.
(b) A large white car.
(c) A mid-size blue car.
(d) A large black car.
3. What time of day does John Boot visit the Stitch residence?
(a) 3 p.m.
(b) 12 p.m.
(c) 11 a.m.
(d) 7 a.m.
4. How much does William's toothbrush purchased from the hotel cost?
(a) Eight pounds.
(b) Five shillings.
(c) Four shillings.
(d) One pound.
5. Who is the highest paid journalist in America, about whom Corker tells William a story?
(a) Jack Bannister.
(b) Edward Robinson.
(c) Jocelyn Hitchcock.
(d) Wenlock Jakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what paper does Mr. Pappenhacker work?
2. What longtime secret ambition of William's is near to fulfillment towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
3. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
4. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
5. With whom does William meet at the first Ishmaelite Legation?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason is William and Mr. Salter's first meeting rather awkward for both men?
2. Why is it, as revealed by the narrator at the beginning of Book 2, that no colonial powers have taken Ishmaelia?
3. Why do the newspapers routinely return from the sickrooms "hopelessly mutilated" at Boot Magna Hall?
4. Why has John Boot's situation in London become very awkward?
5. What is Corker's chief complaint about the journalistic profession in Jacksonburg, as he tells William just after using the latter's toothbrush?
6. Under what threat does William agree to be the <i>Daily Beast</i>'s war correspondent to Ishmaelia?
7. What does the Boot family think about Mr. Salter when he arrives at Boot Magna Hall?
8. What has happened to Corker and Pigge on their journey to Laku?
9. How does Mrs. Stitch react to John Boot's perplexed inquiries regarding his invitation to knighthood?
10. In what way does Lord Copper directly contradict himself while speaking to William about the Ishmaelian conflict?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)