|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money is William given by <i>The Daily Beast</i> in traveler's checks?
(a) 1000 shillings.
(b) 10,000 pounds.
(c) 1,000 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
2. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
(a) King's College London.
(b) Yale University.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) The Baptist College of Antigua.
3. What side of the Ishmaelite conflict does Lord Copper insist is in the right?
(a) The Rebels.
(b) The Patriots.
(c) The Independents.
(d) The Traitors.
4. At what time does William Boot, after a harrowing morning in the hotel, reach Copper House, to Mr. Salter's dismay?
(a) 12 p.m.
(b) 4 p.m.
(c) 11 a.m.
(d) 2 p.m.
5. What beverage does Mr. Salter assume William Boot enjoys?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do the initials of Corker's agency "U.N." stand?
2. At what time does Mr. Salter awake William by telephone while the latter is at the hotel?
3. How does Mr. Salter always answer Lord Copper when the latter is incorrect?
4. Where is William intending to depart the train?
5. After whose style has William Boot modeled his writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is further revealed about William when he receives his first cable from the <i>Daily Beast</i>?
2. Why is it, as revealed by the narrator at the beginning of Book 2, that no colonial powers have taken Ishmaelia?
3. Describe the condition of the <i>Francmacon</i>, the ship upon which William has to sail from Marseilles.
4. With what common and well-practiced activity is William content to live out his life?
5. What primarily disgusts William about the <i>Daily Beast</i> on his return to civilized parts of the world?
6. Why do the newspapers routinely return from the sickrooms "hopelessly mutilated" at Boot Magna Hall?
7. What has happened to Corker and Pigge on their journey to Laku?
8. What important piece of news does Kätchen bring to William after the former spends a morning shopping?
9. What is the primary point of the thesis of Smiles Soum's manifesto?
10. Describe the activity in Mrs. Stitch's bedroom when John Boot comes to visit her in her home.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)