|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time did the Ishmaelites think the journalists were leaving?
(a) 10 p.m.
(b) 10 a.m.
(c) 7 a.m.
(d) 2 p.m.
2. Who chairs the Foreign Press Association in Sir Jocelyn Hitchcock's absence?
(a) Mr. Pappenhacker.
(b) Wenlock Jakes.
3. What beverage does Mr. Salter's wife prepare for him after Boot's second big story comes in?
(a) Gin and tonic.
(b) Vodka on the rocks.
4. Which animal attacks the former welterweight champion who had come to visit William at Frau Dressler's?
(a) The three-legged dog.
(b) The enormous pig.
(c) The gander.
(d) The milch-goat.
5. Why are all of the boys working in Frau Dressler's pension excused on a holiday in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(a) The Ishmaelite New Year.
(b) The rains have ended.
(c) The Ismaelian Day of Independence.
(d) The rains have begun.
6. What group among the journalists uses the largest lorry?
(a) The Excelsior Movie-Sound Expeditionary Unit.
(b) The <i>Daily Brute</i> Staff.
(c) The Universal News Contingent.
(d) The International News Agency.
7. For how long has Kätchen's husband been away when William meets her?
(a) Three years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Three days.
8. What is Jack Bannister's long-time nickname?
9. From what town does Hitchcock reportedly score a scoop on the Fascists in Ishmaelia?
10. Who writes the final report from Ishmaelia to <i>The Daily Beast</i>?
(b) Mr. Baldwin.
11. Of whose esteem is William afraid of losing if he attends the banquet?
(a) The public's.
(b) His family's.
(c) Lord Copper's.
12. How many cabs transport William and all his luggage from Victoria?
13. For how long has Frau Dressler lived in Africa?
(a) All her life.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Ten years.
14. To where does William move after two photographers join his and Corker's room at the Hotel Liberty?
(a) Frau Dressler's pension.
(b) The British Consulate.
(c) The hotel's annex.
(d) The Hotel European.
15. In what decade previous to William's story did many European countries attempt expeditions to Ishmaelia?
(a) The 1890s.
(b) The 1770s.
(c) The 1870s.
(d) The 1820s.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money per year is the contract Mr. Salter offers William at Boot Magna Hall?
2. What is the name of the proprietress of the Hotel Liberty?
3. Where does William want to take Kätchen?
4. What does the Boot family give up for the sake of the war effort in 1914?
5. Where does Lord Copper propose sending William on his next foreign assignment?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)