|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Mr. Salter arrive at Boot Magna Hall?
(a) 4:30 p.m.
(b) 1 a.m.
(c) 8 p.m.
(d) 10 p.m.
2. From where does Paleologue provide servant boys to the journalists at the Hotel Liberty?
(a) The Catholic Mission.
(b) The Adventist Mission.
(c) The hotel annex.
(d) The Department of Internal Affairs.
3. Why must the young man rather than Bert Tyler drive?
(a) The young man needs the experience.
(b) Bert Tyler cannot see well.
(c) Bert Tyler lost his legs.
(d) Bert Tyler is a narcoleptic.
4. Why are all of the boys working in Frau Dressler's pension excused on a holiday in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(a) The rains have begun.
(b) The Ismaelian Day of Independence.
(c) The rains have ended.
(d) The Ishmaelite New Year.
5. To whom is it commonly mistaken, by his family, that William has a romantic attachment?
(a) Frau Dressler.
(c) Sarah Penning.
(d) Miss Caldicote.
6. Which of the journalists staying at the Hotel Liberty is suspected of receiving secret information from the government?
7. After Shumble's story blows over, how many more journalists arrive in Ishmaelia?
8. What does Lord Copper attempt to draw at the beginning of Book 3?
(a) A dog.
(b) A person.
(c) An automobile.
(d) A cow.
9. What group among the journalists uses the largest lorry?
(a) The Excelsior Movie-Sound Expeditionary Unit.
(b) The International News Agency.
(c) The Universal News Contingent.
(d) The <i>Daily Brute</i> Staff.
10. What is the name of Jakes' jackal?
11. How does Lord Copper intend to honor William Boot on his return to England?
(a) By knighting him.
(b) By giving him a parade.
(c) By increasing his salary.
(d) By erecting a monument in the Megalopolitan building.
12. What objects fill the heavy bag belonging to the girl who previously occupied William's room in the Pension Dressler?
(a) Hard-cover books.
(b) Gold bars.
(c) Steel rods.
13. About what does Mr. Salter interrupt Lord Copper's drawing at the beginning of Book 3?
(a) The war in Ishmaelia.
14. What is Kätchen's father's nationality?
15. On William and Corker's train to Ishmaelia, who selfishly occupies one of the four first-class compartments?
(a) A Swiss ticket collector.
(c) William and Corker.
(d) An English diplomat.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country does the supposed spy uncovered by Shumble reportedly come?
2. What food does Kätchen's husband eat in William's room?
3. To where does William move after two photographers join his and Corker's room at the Hotel Liberty?
4. At what time did the Ishmaelites think the journalists were leaving?
5. Which member of the Boot family keeps Mr. Salter up late and unintentionally forces him to sleep in a chair?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)