|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prisoner Luisa, described in Chapter 23, came to Emalia after what event?
2. What card game do Oskar and Amon Goeth play in Chapter 30?
3. According to Commandant Rudolf Hoss, how many people per day could be gassed at the Auschwitz complex?
4. Young Richard Rosner was never able to go to a children's playground again without growing hysterical at the sight of what piece of equipment?
5. What did the prisoners give Schindler for his 37th birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 16 describes a violent act of resistance by the ZOB and Halutz Youth. They blew up a restaurant, killing several SS men and injuring even more. Some would call that terrorism. Others would call it justified resistance. List at least three methods of resistance that Jewish people employed in response to the German persecution (the Jewish people do not have to have survived their act of resistance for it to count). Describe the acts of resistance, and how effective they were (or not) against the Nazis, both in the short term as well as the long term.
Essay Topic 2
In the Prologue, Goeth and his dinner partners laugh at the image of Oskar in a military uniform, and in Chapter 1 there is only the briefest mention of his military service, and the statement that he abhorred it mostly on the grounds of discomfort. Do you think, then, that Oskar was a combatant during the war? Was his ownership of DEF "military service"? If so, for which side? He did, after all, manufacture enamelware for the German troops.
Essay Topic 3
Power--or the lack of it--was a matter of life or death in Schindler's List. Hitler had almost complete control over Germany, of course. What types of power were exhibited in the novel? Did power shift during the course of the story? If so, from what person or group to which person or group?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)