|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Commandant Rudolf Hoss, how many people per day could be gassed at the Auschwitz complex?
2. Dr. Steinberg, a prisoner in a Moravian work camp, describes obtaining a pass and a truck to visit Brinnlitz. What did he usually return to his Luftwaffe camp with?
3. Who was the engineer of Schindler's new housing for his workers?
4. To what destination did Oskar sail in the Epilogue?
5. Of the 10,000 men who were marched toward Gross-Rosen, how many did Moshe Henigman say were alive after 10 days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oskar Schindler resisted the Nazi occupation by hiring Jews, rather than choosing a more vocal or forceful resistance. Why do you think he chose this path? Potentially, he could have been more vocal, or even have become a spy, since he had some experience in that field. Talk about other forms of resistance he could have chosen, and why you believe, based on what you've read in the book, he chose to "resist" via his factory. Use at least one specific example from the book to back up your statement.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the different ways Oskar Schindler defies authority. Although he doesn't participate in outright defiance, like bombing buildings, his defiance is still measurable. Describe at least three ways Oskar defies "the system," and give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 16 describes a violent act of resistance by the ZOB and Halutz Youth. They blew up a restaurant, killing several SS men and injuring even more. Some would call that terrorism. Others would call it justified resistance. List at least three methods of resistance that Jewish people employed in response to the German persecution (the Jewish people do not have to have survived their act of resistance for it to count). Describe the acts of resistance, and how effective they were (or not) against the Nazis, both in the short term as well as the long term.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)