|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Keneally say were found hiding by the SS and killed in the final clearance of the Jewish ghetto in Cracow?
2. What is the parallel that Keneally draws with Amon and Oskar's card game?
3. Young Richard Rosner was never able to go to a children's playground again without growing hysterical at the sight of what piece of equipment?
4. What is announced regarding Emalia at the beginning of Chapter 30?
5. What does Emilie Schindler travel to Ostrava to get?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For a character to be memorable, he or she must grow during the course of the novel--in other words, the character cannot be the same person inside that he or she was at the outset. Describe how Oskar Shindler changed and grew during the novel. Use at least one specific example from the beginning of the novel, and at least one specific example from the end of the novel to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 2
No novel can succeed without conflict. Many writers and writing teachers believe there are five basic kinds of conflict: man vs. man (or person vs. person), man vs. self, man vs. society, man vs. nature, and man vs. the supernatural. Some also believe in a sixth type of conflict, man vs. technology. What types of conflict have you observed in this novel? Be sure to give at least one specific example for each type that you list.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 17 opens with the statement, "even in the autumn of 1942, the Zionists of Palestine, let alone the population of the world, knew nothing but rumors of what was happening in Europe." Based on your reading of the book and any other activities you've completed, discuss the communication of the early 1940's. Why did no one know what was going on in Germany and Poland? What kinds of news media were available? Who owned them? Do you think the secrecy was part of the Nazi plan? If they believed that their "ethnic cleansing" was the right thing to do, then why was it kept so secret?
This section contains 1,887 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)