|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Keneally say were found hiding by the SS and killed in the final clearance of the Jewish ghetto in Cracow?
2. What disease did the lice carry?
3. According to Commandant Rudolf Hoss, how many people per day could be gassed at the Auschwitz complex?
4. In Jerusalem, Oskar was declared to be what?
5. Marcel Goldberg, personnel clerk, was open to bribes for doing what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the different ways Oskar Schindler defies authority. Although he doesn't participate in outright defiance, like bombing buildings, his defiance is still measurable. Describe at least three ways Oskar defies "the system," and give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 15, Keneally contrasts a scene of brutal killing against a scene of Red Genia's survival. Describe your thoughts not only on the scenes themselves, but why Keneally juxtaposed them together in this way.
Essay Topic 3
Chapters 26-30 are full of powerful imagery: the courtship of Rebecca and Josef even as new fences are being built, the smoke of the crematoria in the country air, and the ever-increasing burdens that Schindler has to overcome to keep his Jewish workers safe. We're also more than halfway through the book. Examine the imagery in this section of the book, as well as its placement in the plot line and with the story development. What changes do we see in Schindler from chapter 26 to chapter 30? What techniques and story details does Keneally use to avoid the "sagging middle" here? Write at least one page answering the above questions, and cite at least three specific examples from within these chapters in your essay.
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)