|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Two, Oskar Schindler meets a Jewish accountant named. . .
2. When Oskar and Goeth meet in Chapter 20, each realizes the other is in Cracow to do what?
3. What reason does Schindler give Goeth for continuing his enamelware operations without change?
4. After Diana Reiter points out flaws in some building foundations, what are Amon Goeth's orders?
5. Where did the Rosner brothers go in their attempt to escape the actions of the Germans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Steinberg do while he is a prisoner in the Luftwaffe camp?
2. The Trustees of Yad Vashem began to collect testimonies regarding Oskar. Were all of them positive? If not, what was a complaint?
3. In the Prologue, Keneally describes Schindler as "Sudenten German--Arkansas to their Manhattan, Liverpool to their Cambridge." What does he mean by this?
4. How does witnessing the activities in Krakusa Street affect Schindler?
5. When Oskar is trying to leave Brinnlitz, his car won't start. What was the cause?
6. Explain why you think pharmacist Bachner returned from Prokocim to the Cracow ghetto, rather than trying to escape to freedom.
7. Chapter 16 compares the ZOB's resistance style (blowing things up) against Oskar's style (protecting his Jewish workers). Describe which method you think is more effective, and why.
8. What benefits does Leopold Pfefferberg bring to the ghetto citizenry via his membership in the OD?
9. Keneally writes that Schindler was "frightened" after his second arrest. What was different this time that made him unable to laugh off this arrest as he did the first?
10. Oskar bought some new machinery locally, some from the "homeland." What might be some reasons for that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oskar Schindler made huge sums of money during the war, yet he died penniless, supported by those he saved. He tried starting two different businesses in two different countries, both of which failed. What factors did you recognize from the book that may have contributed to his ability to succeed during the war, but inability to make money in business after the war?
Essay Topic 2
The setting of a book can function almost as another character. Describe how the setting of Schindler's List, especially the descriptions of Emalia, Plaszow, and Brinnlitz, surround the characters and become part of the fabric of the story. Discuss what effect the setting has on the book as a whole, and how the book might be different if it had been set somewhere else.
Essay Topic 3
In the Prologue, Goeth and his dinner partners laugh at the image of Oskar in a military uniform, and in Chapter 1 there is only the briefest mention of his military service, and the statement that he abhorred it mostly on the grounds of discomfort. Do you think, then, that Oskar was a combatant during the war? Was his ownership of DEF "military service"? If so, for which side? He did, after all, manufacture enamelware for the German troops.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)