|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is black history celebrated in the public schools?
2. What does Sister Julia say that the nicest house in the Villa Griffin homes is used for?
3. How many years did Kozol spend visiting schools and speaking with children about their schools and neighborhoods?
4. What is the name of the Villa Griffin child whose sister was murdered by a friend of the mother?
5. What song does the group of children in the Villa Griffin homes say they sing after the flag pledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
2. How the suburban public schools funded compared to the urban public schools?
3. Why does Kozol condemn business leaders and legislators for not improving public education?
4. What problems exist at Martin Luther King High School in East St. Louis?
5. Compare Coral Hawkins to the gospel teacher at Mary McLeod Bethune School.
6. How does Kozol describe the neighborhoods in which the urban schools he visited were located?
7. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
8. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
9. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
10. What type of health issues exist in East St. Louis? Why do these illnesses exist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Kozol get mad at business leaders who have the capability to assist poor urban public schools? What do business leaders do to contribute to the systematic problems that exist in the public school system? How do legislators contribute to the problems that exist in the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The book Savage Inequalities depicts the inequalities that exist in the nation's public schools. What two problems seem to be common among the school systems that Kozol describes in the book? Describe these two problems and why they are considered problems. What suggestions would you make to improve these problems? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the urban public school systems in New York and Camden. How are these two urban school systems similar? How are they different? Please use specific examples from the book? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)