|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did the Post-Dispatch give for the evacuation of Martin Luther King Junior High School in the early spring of 1989?
2. According to Kozol, whose responsibility is it to supply all children with equally good schools?
3. What statistic does Kozol give for the number of births in East St. Louis to single mothers?
4. According to Kozol, why is eighth-grade graduation highly celebrated in North Lawndale?
5. What is one way Kozol says children realize they are getting an inferior education?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
2. What problem exists at Lathrop Elementary School, and what is the source of this problem?
3. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
4. What financial cuts are proposed for the schools in East St. Louis? Why do cuts have to be made to the schools in East St. Louis? Who is responsible for making the cuts?
5. What problems exist at Martin Luther King High School in East St. Louis?
6. What type of health issues exist in East St. Louis? Why do these illnesses exist?
7. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
8. Why does the author think that many wealthy people think it is okay if poor children receive fewer advantages?
9. Describe the urban public school that Kozol taught in while in Boston.
10. How does the pre-desegregation of schools compare to the post-desegregation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the urban public school systems in New York and Camden. How are these two urban school systems similar? How are they different? Please use specific examples from the book? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the difference that exist between urban schools and suburban schools in East Lawndale (Chapter 1, Life on the Mississippi) and North Lawndale (Chapter 2, Other People's Children)? Based on Kozol's account of the school systems, why do these differences exist? What are some ways that these differences can be eliminated? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)