|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who authored the poem that one of the most embittered students in Kozol's class memorized?
2. How did the press in Boston refer to troubled ghetto areas with a low infant mortality rate?
3. In what year was the decision in Plessy v. Ferguson rendered?
4. According to the 1980 census, what percentage of men and women 17 and older in North Lawndale had no jobs?
5. What was the poem that is memorized by the students in Kozol's class about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the two court decisions, Brown v. Board of Education and Plessy v. Ferguson.
2. How did East St. Louis become so poor?
3. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
4. How does Coral Hawkins stand out from most of the teachers Kozol meets at Mary McLeod Bethune School?
5. Why is employment limited in East St. Louis?
6. Compare Coral Hawkins to the gospel teacher at Mary McLeod Bethune School.
7. Why, in most cities, do the influential people that Kozol meets show little inclination to address the segregation in the pubic school system?
8. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
9. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
10. What is there for residents to do in East St. Louis for fun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Forward of the book, Kozol refers to the Supreme Court case of Brown v. Board of Education. What is the significance of the Brown v. Board decision? According to the book, how has the school system remained the same since the judgment? What changes have been made since the Brown v. Board decision? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the chapter entitled, The Savage Inequalities of Public Education in New York, Kozol travels to two schools that have issues with space. What limitations does the issue of space put on the teachers, students, and administrators? What future issues could arise because of the limited space at the schools? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)