|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many non-white students does Kozol say attended most of the urban schools he visited?
2. What influential African American does Kozol note was often cited when black parents or black school officials discussed educating students in the urban public school system?
3. Where did Kozol hold his classes while teaching in the urban school in Boston?
4. How many children did Baldwin have in his classroom while teaching in the urban school in Boston?
5. According to Carla Hawkins, Chicago's public schools are in short supply of what type of resource?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the two court decisions, Brown v. Board of Education and Plessy v. Ferguson.
2. Why are the major industries that dump waste into East St. Louis not taxed there?
3. How does the pre-desegregation of schools compare to the post-desegregation?
4. Why does Kozol condemn business leaders and legislators for not improving public education?
5. Why does the author think that many wealthy people think it is okay if poor children receive fewer advantages?
6. Where does Kozol go on his journey to speak with students in the public school system? How does Kozol choose the schools that he visited?
7. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
8. What problems exist at Martin Luther King High School in East St. Louis?
9. Why, in most cities, do the influential people that Kozol meets show little inclination to address the segregation in the pubic school system?
10. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kozol shows the financial differences between the amount that public urban schools spend per pupil and the amount that public suburban schools spend per pupil. Why do these differences exist? Why don't the parents of students attending poor urban schools fight the school board for school funding equal to that of the suburban public school systems? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In the Forward of the book, Kozol refers to the Supreme Court case of Brown v. Board of Education. What is the significance of the Brown v. Board decision? According to the book, how has the school system remained the same since the judgment? What changes have been made since the Brown v. Board decision? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol visits schools where teachers and administrators admit to sending their children to schools other than the one where they teach. What reasons do they give for sending their children to other schools? What is the significance of teachers at poor inner city schools sending their children to suburban public schools or more affluent urban public schools? What theme does this represent? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)