|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one way Kozol says children realize they are getting an inferior education?
2. What reason does Warren Franczyk, principal of Mary McLeod Bethune School, give for teachers losing their high school jobs in North Lawndale?
3. What Supreme Court decision found that segregated education was unconstitutional because it was "inherently unequal"?
4. What area lies to the east of East St. Louis?
5. What are the major industries in Sauget besides the chemical plants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Coral Hawkins to the gospel teacher at Mary McLeod Bethune School.
2. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
3. How does Coral Hawkins stand out from most of the teachers Kozol meets at Mary McLeod Bethune School?
4. Why does the author think that many wealthy people think it is okay if poor children receive fewer advantages?
5. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
6. What problems exist at Martin Luther King High School in East St. Louis?
7. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
8. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
9. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
10. Why does Kozol decide to leave teaching and focus on other social issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Kozol get mad at business leaders who have the capability to assist poor urban public schools? What do business leaders do to contribute to the systematic problems that exist in the public school system? How do legislators contribute to the problems that exist in the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)