Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kozol, when are citizens given $400 in exchange for a release from liability?
2. According to Kozol, whose real names are used in the book Savage Inequalities?
3. In what year was the decision in Plessy v. Ferguson rendered?
4. What is the population of the town of Sauget?
5. Why does Kozol introduce his class to poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
2. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
3. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
4. Describe the Rodriguez class-action suit.
5. Explain the notion of a "low foundation" in regards to a Foundation Program. Explain the notion of a "minimum."
6. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
7. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
8. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
9. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
10. Define the term "local control." What is the difference between local control and state control?
Essay Topic 1
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the urban public school systems in New York and Camden. How are these two urban school systems similar? How are they different? Please use specific examples from the book? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Racial discrimination is a major theme in the book Savage Inequalities. What reasons does Kozol give for racial discrimination being the reason that poor urban schools receive less funding? Why does Kozol think the inequalities have more to do with race than with economics? Do you agree with Kozol's reasons for why the inequalities exist at poor urban schools? Why or why not? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)