|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to sister Julia, why were classes never held at the newly constructed Jefferson School?
2. Whose voices does Kozol say were missing from summit conferences on education, severe reports, and ominous prescriptions?
3. What was Kozol's purpose for writing the book Savage Inequalities?
4. Why does Du Sable High School's principal have a hard time retaining young teachers at his school?
5. Why was Kozol fired from his teaching job in the urban Boston school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How the suburban public schools funded compared to the urban public schools?
2. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
3. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
4. What problems exist at Martin Luther King High School in East St. Louis?
5. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
6. What financial cuts are proposed for the schools in East St. Louis? Why do cuts have to be made to the schools in East St. Louis? Who is responsible for making the cuts?
7. How does Coral Hawkins stand out from most of the teachers Kozol meets at Mary McLeod Bethune School?
8. Why is employment limited in East St. Louis?
9. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
10. Compare the two court decisions, Brown v. Board of Education and Plessy v. Ferguson.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 6 is entitled, The Dream Deferred, Again, in San Antonio. What dream was Kozol referring to and how was it deferred again? Who or what caused the dream to be deferred? Is there any way to save the dream from being deferred? If not, how could the dream be revitalized after being deferred? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol shows the financial differences between the amount that public urban schools spend per pupil and the amount that public suburban schools spend per pupil. Why do these differences exist? Why don't the parents of students attending poor urban schools fight the school board for school funding equal to that of the suburban public school systems? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)