|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Baldwin have in his classroom while teaching in the school located in the Boston suburbs?
2. How many housing units are in the Villa Griffin homes?
3. According to Kozol, how are East St. Louis and Lawndale similar?
4. How much money does Kozol say is spent on each child attending a rich, white, public school around Chicago?
5. How many non-white students does Kozol say attended most of the urban schools he visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the Lawndale neighborhood?
2. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
3. How does Kozol describe the neighborhoods in which the urban schools he visited were located?
4. Where does Kozol go on his journey to speak with students in the public school system? How does Kozol choose the schools that he visited?
5. Why is employment limited in East St. Louis?
6. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
7. Compare Baldwin's experience teaching in the urban school district in Boston and the suburban school district west of Boston.
8. Compare the two court decisions, Brown v. Board of Education and Plessy v. Ferguson.
9. Why, in most cities, do the influential people that Kozol meets show little inclination to address the segregation in the pubic school system?
10. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 6 is entitled, The Dream Deferred, Again, in San Antonio. What dream was Kozol referring to and how was it deferred again? Who or what caused the dream to be deferred? Is there any way to save the dream from being deferred? If not, how could the dream be revitalized after being deferred? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
According to Kozol, non-white leaders are often picked to solve local school problems. Why is it assumed that non-white leaders are the best candidate to solve the problems of local urban school systems? Who would be the best candidate(s) to solve the local school problems? Why?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)