|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kozol, when are citizens given $400 in exchange for a release from liability?
2. According to Kozol, whose real names are used in the book Savage Inequalities?
3. In what year was the decision in Plessy v. Ferguson rendered?
4. What is the population of the town of Sauget?
5. Why does Kozol introduce his class to poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
2. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
3. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
4. Describe the Rodriguez class-action suit.
5. Explain the notion of a "low foundation" in regards to a Foundation Program. Explain the notion of a "minimum."
6. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
7. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
8. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
9. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
10. Define the term "local control." What is the difference between local control and state control?
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the difference that exist between urban schools and suburban schools in East Lawndale (Chapter 1, Life on the Mississippi) and North Lawndale (Chapter 2, Other People's Children)? Based on Kozol's account of the school systems, why do these differences exist? What are some ways that these differences can be eliminated? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In various areas, Kozol speaks with adults about the health of the students that attend the poor urban schools and that live in the community. What types of illnesses do the adults mention children having in the various cities that Kozol visits? How do the students get these illnesses? Based on the book, how do you think these illness effect children's education? What can be done to improve the health of students in these various urban cities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kozol focuses on state and federal regulation of schools. In what ways do the states regulate the schools? In what ways does the federal government regulate American school system? How are these responsibilities divided amongst the state and federal entities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 2,359 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)