|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the racial makeup of 98 percent of the population in East St. Louis?
2. Where did Kozol hold his classes while teaching in the urban school in Boston?
3. How many non-white students does Kozol say attended most of the urban schools he visited?
4. Approximately how many neighborhoods did Kozol visit?
5. What system of schools does Kozol say are highly attractive to more sophisticated parents, who are disproportionately white and middle class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
2. How does Coral Hawkins stand out from most of the teachers Kozol meets at Mary McLeod Bethune School?
3. How the suburban public schools funded compared to the urban public schools?
4. Why does the author think that many wealthy people think it is okay if poor children receive fewer advantages?
5. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
6. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
7. How does the pre-desegregation of schools compare to the post-desegregation?
8. What financial cuts are proposed for the schools in East St. Louis? Why do cuts have to be made to the schools in East St. Louis? Who is responsible for making the cuts?
9. What reasons does Irl Solomon give for young teachers not staying at Martin Luther King Jr. High?
10. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In various areas, Kozol speaks with adults about the health of the students that attend the poor urban schools and that live in the community. What types of illnesses do the adults mention children having in the various cities that Kozol visits? How do the students get these illnesses? Based on the book, how do you think these illness effect children's education? What can be done to improve the health of students in these various urban cities? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In his interviews, Kozol asks several individuals what they think is the answer to better schools. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, what are some of the ways to better schools? How can these ways be implemented in the schools/communities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)