|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kozol, when are citizens given $400 in exchange for a release from liability?
2. According to Kozol, whose real names are used in the book Savage Inequalities?
3. In what year was the decision in Plessy v. Ferguson rendered?
4. What is the population of the town of Sauget?
5. Why does Kozol introduce his class to poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
2. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
3. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
4. Describe the Rodriguez class-action suit.
5. Explain the notion of a "low foundation" in regards to a Foundation Program. Explain the notion of a "minimum."
6. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
7. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
8. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
9. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
10. Define the term "local control." What is the difference between local control and state control?
Essay Topic 1
Kozol has his class read Langston Hughes poem, A Dream Deferred. Based on Kozol's interviews, how does this poem apply to the lives of the children Kozol visits in the urban public school systems? Why would their dreams be deferred? What happens to those students whose dreams are deferred? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol shows the financial differences between the amount that public urban schools spend per pupil and the amount that public suburban schools spend per pupil. Why do these differences exist? Why don't the parents of students attending poor urban schools fight the school board for school funding equal to that of the suburban public school systems? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the Forward of the book, Kozol refers to the Supreme Court case of Brown v. Board of Education. What is the significance of the Brown v. Board decision? According to the book, how has the school system remained the same since the judgment? What changes have been made since the Brown v. Board decision? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 2,359 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)