|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kozol, when are citizens given $400 in exchange for a release from liability?
2. According to Kozol, whose real names are used in the book Savage Inequalities?
3. In what year was the decision in Plessy v. Ferguson rendered?
4. What is the population of the town of Sauget?
5. Why does Kozol introduce his class to poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
2. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
3. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
4. Describe the Rodriguez class-action suit.
5. Explain the notion of a "low foundation" in regards to a Foundation Program. Explain the notion of a "minimum."
6. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
7. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
8. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
9. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
10. Define the term "local control." What is the difference between local control and state control?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the urban public school systems in New York and Camden. How are these two urban school systems similar? How are they different? Please use specific examples from the book? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Kozol points out that racial discrimination is the cause of many of the inequalities that exist in the public school system. However, some of the individuals that he interviews think that it's a socioeconomic issue and not a race issue. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, are the problems that exist in urban public schools caused by racial discrimination, socioeconomic status, or both. Why? Provide at least three detailed reasons for your answer. Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kozol get mad at business leaders who have the capability to assist poor urban public schools? What do business leaders do to contribute to the systematic problems that exist in the public school system? How do legislators contribute to the problems that exist in the public school system? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 2,359 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)