|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the school board in Dearborn Park do that they think constitutes as making school choice equally accessible?
2. According to Kozol, why is eighth-grade graduation highly celebrated in North Lawndale?
3. What song does the group of children in the Villa Griffin homes say they sing after the flag pledge?
4. How many children did Baldwin have in his classroom while teaching in the urban school in Boston?
5. How does the Post-Dispatch describe East St. Louis, Illinois?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the neighborhoods in which the urban schools he visited were located?
2. How do many of the children know that they are receiving an inferior education? What happens to many of the children after they realize they are receiving an inferior education?
3. How did East St. Louis become so poor?
4. How does Kozol describe the township of Sauget?
5. Why does Kozol say he wrote the book Savage Inequalities?
6. How does Kozol describe East St. Louis?
7. How the suburban public schools funded compared to the urban public schools?
8. Compare Coral Hawkins to the gospel teacher at Mary McLeod Bethune School.
9. Where does Kozol go on his journey to speak with students in the public school system? How does Kozol choose the schools that he visited?
10. What does the media, parents, and teachers think the issue is with public education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan Kozol says that he wrote Savage Inequalities so that the voices of the children that attend public schools in America could be heard. In your opinion, what audience did Kozol want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for teachers, administrators, state leaders, government officials, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience that you have identified? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it hard for urban public schools to retain young teachers? Where do the young teachers end up teaching? What changes should the school system to make in order to recruit and retain young teachers? Because the urban school system has many aging teachers, what future issues may arise as the teachers start to near retirement age? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In his interviews, Kozol asks several individuals what they think is the answer to better schools. Based on the book Savage Inequalities, what are some of the ways to better schools? How can these ways be implemented in the schools/communities? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)