|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city does Kozol point out as having a non-white administration for two years where conditions did not improve?
2. What racial group makes up 92 percent of the children that attend the public schools in Washington, D.C.?
3. What does the principal of Tunisia's school say she sees children doing in order to have something to eat at home?
(a) Asking for extra food at lunch.
(b) Stealing from other students lunches.
(c) Pocketing chicken nuggets.
(d) Staying after school to receive free dinner.
4. How many students attend Camden High School?
5. What is the dropout rate for Woodrow Wilson High School?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason do students give Kozol for dropping out of school in New York?
2. Where do most of the motivated children at Morris High School plan to go after they graduate?
3. How many of the girls does the principal in Anacostia say will be pregnant by the fifth grade?
4. Why did Kozol stay in Cherry Hill while he was visiting Camden?
5. How many students from Woodrow Wilson, according to Kozol, sign up to take the SAT in the spring of 1990 when he visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would the students at Woodrow Wilson High want to remain there rather than attending a school with better resources?
2. How are test scores in math and reading determined? How do the determination of these scores affect children in poor schools?
3. Describe PS 261.
4. How do the children attending public schools in the suburbs of New York that Kozol interviews feel about sharing funding and resources with children at urban public schools?
5. Hoe does Kozol describe Camden, New Jersey?
6. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
7. Name three specific examples of overcrowding in New Jersey public schools.
8. Where does Delabian Rice-Thurston say the rich and middle class in Washington, D.C. try to send their children to school? Why don't the poor parents send their children to the same schools?
9. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
10. Describe PS 79.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)