|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kozol, how many people are supposed to be in PS261 at one time?
2. Where is Camden ranked in terms of its number of poor people as compared to other states in the U.S.?
3. How does Harper's mother describe her life in an Anacostia neighborhood?
(a) Living on cloud nine.
(b) A train wreck.
(c) A cold death.
(d) A battle zone.
4. What is the only bright, clean building in the Camden area?
(a) The new prison.
(b) The whorehouse.
(c) The mall.
(d) The newest school.
5. Why did Kozol stay in Cherry Hill while he was visiting Camden?
(a) Because Camden did not have any hotels.
(b) Because Kozol prefered to stay in an upper-income neighborhood.
(c) Because Cherry Hill offers more shops and eateries.
(d) Because the school administrators thought Kozol would be safer in the suburbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students from Woodrow Wilson, according to Kozol, sign up to take the SAT in the spring of 1990 when he visits?
2. What type of early child care program can the principal at PS79 not start at his school?
3. How many districts are New York schools divided into?
4. What does the Wall Street Journal say has remained static while per-pupil spending has increased?
5. Which city does Kozol point out as having a non-white administration for two years where conditions did not improve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
2. Describe PS 79.
3. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
4. How do the children attending public schools in the suburbs of New York that Kozol interviews feel about sharing funding and resources with children at urban public schools?
5. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
6. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
7. How do the suburban schools in New York compare to the urban schools in New York?
8. Describe PS 261.
9. What does Tunisia, a student at Anacostia Elementary School, say that she would do if she had money? Why?
10. Where does Delabian Rice-Thurston say the rich and middle class in Washington, D.C. try to send their children to school? Why don't the poor parents send their children to the same schools?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)