|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does President H.W. Bush's alma-mater spend per student?
2. How does Harper's mother describe her life in an Anacostia neighborhood?
(a) A cold death.
(b) A train wreck.
(c) A battle zone.
(d) Living on cloud nine.
3. What is the dropout rate for Woodrow Wilson High School?
4. What did the press report soon after Kozol's visit to the Anacostia elementary school?
(a) A muder at the school.
(b) A prostitution round-up.
(c) Statistics about the D.C. dropout rate.
(d) A lawsuit against the public schools in D.C.
5. Why did the city of Chicago construct the high-speed Dan Ryan Expressway to go around certain parts of the city?
(a) To cut off the section of the city that houses the housing projects for black people.
(b) To cut off the industrial sections of the city.
(c) To avoid sections of the city that were not highly populated.
(d) To only service those living in the suburbs, but working in downtown Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the former principal of East Side High School that was praised by U.S. Education Secretary William Bennett?
2. What type of people does Octovia, a child at the Anacostia elementary school, say that the girls want to be like when they grow up?
3. What does the Wall Street Journal say has remained static while per-pupil spending has increased?
4. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
5. Why does one of the psychiatrists that Kozol speaks to believe many whites think more money will not help inner city schools?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)