|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of the girls does the principal in Anacostia say will be pregnant by the fifth grade?
(a) Two thirds.
(b) Three fourths.
(c) One third.
(d) One fourth.
2. According to Delabian Rice Thurston, where do the rich in Washington, D.C. try to send their children?
(a) Boarding school.
(b) Catholic school.
(c) Private school.
(d) Public school.
3. Who is the former principal of East Side High School that was praised by U.S. Education Secretary William Bennett?
(a) James Richmond.
(b) Joe Clark.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Jim Johnson.
4. Who used to attend the church in Camden that Kozol passes while chatting with two teachers from Camden High School?
(a) Langston Hughes.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Walt Whitman.
5. What is the dropout rate for Woodrow Wilson High School?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students attend PS261 daily?
2. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
3. What type of early child care program can the principal at PS79 not start at his school?
4. What is one way Jonathan Kozol says can show people how valuable we think they are?
5. How much money does President H.W. Bush's alma-mater spend per student?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are test scores in math and reading determined? How do the determination of these scores affect children in poor schools?
2. Why do public schools in certain areas of New York suffer more than others?
3. What similarity exist between selective schools in New York and Chicago?
4. Describe PS 79.
5. Describe PS 261.
6. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
7. What three Supreme Court justices wrote dissents for the Milliken v. Bradley case? Why did each dissent?
8. How do the suburban schools in New York compare to the urban schools in New York?
9. Name three specific examples of overcrowding in New Jersey public schools.
10. Hoe does Kozol describe Camden, New Jersey?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)