|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At an elementary school in Anacostia, Kozol speaks with a young girl named Tunisia. What is not one of the things that Tunisia tell Kozol she would do if she had a lot of money?
(a) Paint the dirty walls.
(b) Plant a flowerbox.
(c) Buy curtains for her teacher.
(d) Buy new textbooks.
2. According to Harper, how does her teacher punish the children?
(a) With a paddle.
(b) By standing in the corner.
(c) By sending them to the principal's office.
3. What does Kozol think will not solve inner-city problems?
(a) More minority-owned businesses.
(b) Better schools.
(c) More social workers in the neighborhood.
(d) More social services.
4. What does the New York Times say the better public schools are intended to do?
(a) To serve as academic school.
(b) Attract or skim off the more privileged children.
(c) To uphold the school system's high academic standards.
(d) Give the rich an alternative to high-priced private schools.
5. What is the dropout rate for Woodrow Wilson High School?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kozol say the high math and reading test scores in America are based on?
2. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
3. Who said that Americans allow all of their children the things they need to compete at the highest levels of success?
4. What term does the principal at Camden High School give to the dividing up of the children based on their previous test results?
5. According to the principal, how much does Woodrow Wilson spend yearly on each student?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)