|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is Camden located in?
(a) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
2. Where do most of the motivated children at Morris High School plan to go after they graduate?
(a) Community college.
(b) Technical school.
(c) To work.
(d) The military.
3. Which citiy sits across the Delaware River from Camden?
(a) Dover, DE.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Philadelphia, PA.
(d) Trenton, NJ.
4. How many students from Woodrow Wilson, according to Kozol, sign up to take the SAT in the spring of 1990 when he visits?
5. What is one way not mentioned by Kozol's friend Elizabeth that poor people know that they are living in a rich society?
(c) Reading books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of facility is missing from Camden High School?
2. What type of people does Octovia, a child at the Anacostia elementary school, say that the girls want to be like when they grow up?
3. How many districts are New York schools divided into?
4. At an elementary school in Anacostia, Kozol speaks with a young girl named Tunisia. What is not one of the things that Tunisia tell Kozol she would do if she had a lot of money?
5. According to Delabian Rice Thurston, where do the rich in Washington, D.C. try to send their children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tunisia, a student at Anacostia Elementary School, say that she would do if she had money? Why?
2. Describe the Milliken v. Bradley case's appeal to Supreme Court.
3. How does Kozol describe the D.C. school system?
4. What problems do highly selective schools create in New York? Why do they create these problems?
5. Name three specific examples of overcrowding in New Jersey public schools.
6. What resources do the teachers at Pyne Point Junior High lack? How do the teachers improvise?
7. Why would the students at Woodrow Wilson High want to remain there rather than attending a school with better resources?
8. Hoe does Kozol describe Camden, New Jersey?
9. How does Kozol describe the Anacostia neighborhood where Harper and her mother live?
10. Why does Kozol think that inner city problems would not be totally solved by better schools?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)