|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
(a) Truant students.
(b) Students with an interest in the manual arts.
(c) The special education students.
(d) The honors students.
2. What does the New York Times say the better public schools are intended to do?
(a) To serve as academic school.
(b) Attract or skim off the more privileged children.
(c) Give the rich an alternative to high-priced private schools.
(d) To uphold the school system's high academic standards.
3. What is one way not mentioned by Kozol's friend Elizabeth that poor people know that they are living in a rich society?
(d) Reading books.
4. Who is the former principal of East Side High School that was praised by U.S. Education Secretary William Bennett?
(a) James Richmond.
(b) Jim Johnson.
(c) Joe Clark.
(d) John Brown.
5. According to the principal, how much does Woodrow Wilson spend yearly on each student?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of early child care program can the principal at PS79 not start at his school?
2. What does Kozol say the high math and reading test scores in America are based on?
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
4. What term does Harper describe as "you crawl along the street and look for rocks. You look for rocks that other people spill. You crawl along your knees..."
5. What are test scores in math and reading in America graded against?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)