|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the city of Chicago construct the high-speed Dan Ryan Expressway to go around certain parts of the city?
(a) To only service those living in the suburbs, but working in downtown Chicago.
(b) To cut off the section of the city that houses the housing projects for black people.
(c) To avoid sections of the city that were not highly populated.
(d) To cut off the industrial sections of the city.
2. What type of equipment do the students at Pyne Point Junior High use in their typing class?
(a) Old Olympia typewriters.
(b) New Olympia typewriters.
(c) Old Dell computers.
(d) Slightly used computers from one of the schools in Cherry Hill.
3. What type of people does Octovia, a child at the Anacostia elementary school, say that the girls want to be like when they grow up?
(b) Rock stars.
4. Where do most of the motivated children at Morris High School plan to go after they graduate?
(a) Community college.
(b) Technical school.
(c) To work.
(d) The military.
5. How does Harper's mother describe her life in an Anacostia neighborhood?
(a) A train wreck.
(b) A cold death.
(c) Living on cloud nine.
(d) A battle zone.
6. What are test scores in math and reading in America graded against?
(a) A regional standard.
(b) A national standard.
(c) An absolute standard.
(d) A norm or average.
7. What does the principal at PS79 say he will have to do if more students enroll at his school?
(a) He will have to find another building.
(b) He will have to bus them to another school.
(c) He will have to expand his classes.
(d) He will have to hold some classes in temporary trailers.
8. According to one teacher at Camden High School, what does the high school proficiency exam control?
(a) School resources.
(c) The classes offered at the school.
(d) The school's hours of operation.
9. How many students attend Camden High School?
10. Why does one of the psychiatrists that Kozol speaks to believe many whites think more money will not help inner city schools?
(a) Because they believe that a good education should be reserved for the rich.
(b) Because they believe non-whites are actually born inferior.
(c) Because they believe that poor blacks should not be allowed in white schools.
(d) Because they believe that non-whites do not deserve a better education.
11. What does Kozol say Camden's entire property wealth of $250 million is less than the value of?
(a) One upscale department store on New York City's Fifth Avenue.
(b) One country club in Cherry Hill.
(c) One school in the suburbs of Camden.
(d) One casino in Atlantic City.
12. How many students attend PS261 daily?
13. According to Thurston, why are poor people in Washington, D.C. willing to accept a dual system of public education?
(a) The poor do not realize there is a dual system of education.
(b) They are ignorant to the fleeing of the middle class from the city.
(c) They want to keep the white and black middle class from fleeing the city.
(d) Poor parents want to expand the educational opportunities of their children.
14. What do the students at Camden High School do during their lunch hour?
(a) Get bused to a school in Cherry Hill.
(b) Eat lunch in the cafeteria.
(c) Attend a remedial class.
(d) They leave school to obtain lunch elsewhere.
15. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Kozol stay in Cherry Hill while he was visiting Camden?
2. What reason do students give Kozol for dropping out of school in New York?
3. Who is the former principal of East Side High School that was praised by U.S. Education Secretary William Bennett?
4. How many of the girls does the principal in Anacostia say will be pregnant by the fifth grade?
5. According to Kozol, what is the estimated worth of the education a child receives in the suburbs of New York?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)