|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kozol, what is the estimated worth of the education a child receives in the inner city of New York?
2. According to Kozol, students in what racial group are more often categorized with a speech disorder?
3. Which city does Kozol point out as having a non-white administration for two years where conditions did not improve?
4. According to Thurston, why are poor people in Washington, D.C. willing to accept a dual system of public education?
(a) They are ignorant to the fleeing of the middle class from the city.
(b) They want to keep the white and black middle class from fleeing the city.
(c) Poor parents want to expand the educational opportunities of their children.
(d) The poor do not realize there is a dual system of education.
5. Who does the press hail as the answer to solving local school problems?
(a) White leaders.
(b) Non-white leaders.
(c) Government officials.
(d) School administrators.
6. What did the press report soon after Kozol's visit to the Anacostia elementary school?
(a) A lawsuit against the public schools in D.C.
(b) A muder at the school.
(c) A prostitution round-up.
(d) Statistics about the D.C. dropout rate.
7. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
(a) The honors students.
(b) Students with an interest in the manual arts.
(c) The special education students.
(d) Truant students.
8. According to Kozol, how many people are supposed to be in PS261 at one time?
9. What business entities exist in Camden but do not pay taxes?
(a) A sewage treatment plant and a chemical plant.
(b) An incinerator and sewage treatment plant.
(c) A pharmacutical plant and a sewage treatment plant.
(d) A chemical plant and incinerator.
10. What does the Wall Street Journal say has remained static while per-pupil spending has increased?
(a) Teacher retention rates.
(b) The dropout rate.
(c) Student achievement.
(d) Student attendance.
11. What was the former purpose of the building that houses PS261?
(b) Roller skating rink.
(c) Movie theater.
12. What types of courses does the principal at Woodrow Wilson High School say he is unable to provide his students?
(a) Online courses.
(b) Honors courses.
(c) AP courses.
(d) Remedial courses.
13. According to the Wall Street Journal, what are the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
(a) The one of the House and the Senate.
(b) The one of Capitol Hill and Brookland Manor.
(c) The one of presidents and congressmen.
(d) The one with sparking white monuments and Anacostia.
14. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
15. At what age does the principal in Anacostia say many of the boys in her school will be dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kozol think will not solve inner-city problems?
2. Why did the city of Chicago construct the high-speed Dan Ryan Expressway to go around certain parts of the city?
3. Why did Kozol stay in Cherry Hill while he was visiting Camden?
4. What do the students at Camden High School do during their lunch hour?
5. What is one way Jonathan Kozol says can show people how valuable we think they are?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)