|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many districts are New York schools divided into?
2. What does John Coons of the University of California, Berkeley say all children technically are?
3. What is the only bright, clean building in the Camden area?
(a) The new prison.
(b) The whorehouse.
(c) The mall.
(d) The newest school.
4. Why does one of the psychiatrists that Kozol speaks to believe many whites think more money will not help inner city schools?
(a) Because they believe that a good education should be reserved for the rich.
(b) Because they believe that non-whites do not deserve a better education.
(c) Because they believe that poor blacks should not be allowed in white schools.
(d) Because they believe non-whites are actually born inferior.
5. Which citiy sits across the Delaware River from Camden?
(a) Philadelphia, PA.
(b) Dover, DE.
(c) Trenton, NJ.
(d) New York, NY.
6. What does Kozol say the high math and reading test scores in America are based on?
(a) How much funding the schools receive.
(b) How smart the students are.
(c) How badly other schools are doing.
(d) How well-prepared the students are.
7. According to Harper, how does her teacher punish the children?
(a) With a paddle.
(b) By standing in the corner.
(c) By sending them to the principal's office.
8. What term does Harper describe as "you crawl along the street and look for rocks. You look for rocks that other people spill. You crawl along your knees..."
9. What business entities exist in Camden but do not pay taxes?
(a) An incinerator and sewage treatment plant.
(b) A pharmacutical plant and a sewage treatment plant.
(c) A sewage treatment plant and a chemical plant.
(d) A chemical plant and incinerator.
10. What types of courses does the principal at Woodrow Wilson High School say he is unable to provide his students?
(a) Honors courses.
(b) Online courses.
(c) Remedial courses.
(d) AP courses.
11. What was the former purpose of the building that houses PS261?
(a) Movie theater.
(b) Roller skating rink.
12. Why did Kozol stay in Cherry Hill while he was visiting Camden?
(a) Because the school administrators thought Kozol would be safer in the suburbs.
(b) Because Cherry Hill offers more shops and eateries.
(c) Because Kozol prefered to stay in an upper-income neighborhood.
(d) Because Camden did not have any hotels.
13. Which school did President George H.W. Bush attend?
(a) Phillips Academy.
(b) Dearborne Academy.
(c) Dearfield Academy.
(d) St. Johns Academy.
14. What does the principal at PS79 say he will have to do if more students enroll at his school?
(a) He will have to bus them to another school.
(b) He will have to hold some classes in temporary trailers.
(c) He will have to expand his classes.
(d) He will have to find another building.
15. What term does the principal at Camden High School give to the dividing up of the children based on their previous test results?
(a) Selective grouping.
(b) Homogeneous grouping.
(c) Heterogeneous grouping.
(d) Random selection.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kozol think will not solve inner-city problems?
2. According to Kozol, what is the estimated worth of the education a child receives in the suburbs of New York?
3. What type of facility is missing from Camden High School?
4. According to Kozol, what statistic does New York find hard to track?
5. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)