|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
(a) Dropouts and space.
(b) Low enrollment and traunt students.
(c) Low teacher salaries and space.
(d) Dropouts and low teacher salaries.
2. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
(a) The honors students.
(b) The special education students.
(c) Students with an interest in the manual arts.
(d) Truant students.
3. What was the former purpose of the building that houses PS261?
(a) Roller skating rink.
(c) Movie theater.
4. What does the New York Times say the better public schools are intended to do?
(a) To serve as academic school.
(b) Give the rich an alternative to high-priced private schools.
(c) To uphold the school system's high academic standards.
(d) Attract or skim off the more privileged children.
5. What is one way Jonathan Kozol says can show people how valuable we think they are?
(a) By the textbooks that are in the classrooms at the school.
(b) By the number of social workers assigned to a school.
(c) By the medical care we offer them.
(d) By the amount of welfare they receive.
6. What type of equipment do the students at Pyne Point Junior High use in their typing class?
(a) Old Olympia typewriters.
(b) Old Dell computers.
(c) Slightly used computers from one of the schools in Cherry Hill.
(d) New Olympia typewriters.
7. At what age does the principal in Anacostia say many of the boys in her school will be dead?
8. How many students attend Camden High School?
9. What types of courses does the principal at Woodrow Wilson High School say he is unable to provide his students?
(a) Online courses.
(b) Honors courses.
(c) Remedial courses.
(d) AP courses.
10. Which school did President George H.W. Bush attend?
(a) Dearfield Academy.
(b) Dearborne Academy.
(c) Phillips Academy.
(d) St. Johns Academy.
11. What is the only bright, clean building in the Camden area?
(a) The newest school.
(b) The new prison.
(c) The mall.
(d) The whorehouse.
12. What does Kozol think will not solve inner-city problems?
(a) More minority-owned businesses.
(b) Better schools.
(c) More social services.
(d) More social workers in the neighborhood.
13. Who does the press hail as the answer to solving local school problems?
(a) Government officials.
(b) School administrators.
(c) Non-white leaders.
(d) White leaders.
14. How does Harper's mother describe her life in an Anacostia neighborhood?
(a) A cold death.
(b) Living on cloud nine.
(c) A train wreck.
(d) A battle zone.
15. According to Kozol, what does the city of New York supply each ghetto school with?
(b) Pepper spray.
(d) Police escorts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Camden located in?
2. What does John Coons of the University of California, Berkeley say all children technically are?
3. What is the dropout rate for Woodrow Wilson High School?
4. Where do most of the motivated children at Morris High School plan to go after they graduate?
5. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)