|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At an elementary school in Anacostia, Kozol speaks with a young girl named Tunisia. What is not one of the things that Tunisia tell Kozol she would do if she had a lot of money?
(a) Buy new textbooks.
(b) Paint the dirty walls.
(c) Buy curtains for her teacher.
(d) Plant a flowerbox.
2. What did the press report soon after Kozol's visit to the Anacostia elementary school?
(a) Statistics about the D.C. dropout rate.
(b) A muder at the school.
(c) A prostitution round-up.
(d) A lawsuit against the public schools in D.C.
3. What does the principal at PS79 say he will have to do if more students enroll at his school?
(a) He will have to hold some classes in temporary trailers.
(b) He will have to expand his classes.
(c) He will have to find another building.
(d) He will have to bus them to another school.
4. According to Kozol, what is the estimated worth of the education a child receives in the suburbs of New York?
5. How many of the girls does the principal in Anacostia say will be pregnant by the fifth grade?
(a) Three fourths.
(b) Two thirds.
(c) One fourth.
(d) One third.
6. What does Kozol say Camden's entire property wealth of $250 million is less than the value of?
(a) One school in the suburbs of Camden.
(b) One upscale department store on New York City's Fifth Avenue.
(c) One country club in Cherry Hill.
(d) One casino in Atlantic City.
7. How many students attend Camden High School?
8. What is the dropout rate for Woodrow Wilson High School?
9. What type of facility is missing from Camden High School?
(b) Teacher's lounge.
(c) A lunch facility.
(d) Locker room.
10. What type of industry was Camden famous for at one point?
(c) Chemical plants.
11. What is one way not mentioned by Kozol's friend Elizabeth that poor people know that they are living in a rich society?
(c) Reading books.
12. According to Kozol, students in what racial group are more often categorized as retarded?
13. What does Thurston say black people did not understand regarding their children and the public education system in Washington, D.C. and those in the surrounding suburbs?
(a) The length that whites would go to keep their children at a distance from black children.
(b) The amount of money needed to educate children in the school system.
(c) The changes that were needed to make the school system equivalent to those in the D.C. suburbs.
(d) The changes that the school system would make if white parents complained about the system.
14. What does Kozol say the high math and reading test scores in America are based on?
(a) How well-prepared the students are.
(b) How much funding the schools receive.
(c) How smart the students are.
(d) How badly other schools are doing.
15. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
(a) He is living on the streets.
(b) He is working full-time as a manager in a fast food resturant.
(c) He is a cocaine addict in jail.
(d) He is a student at Rutgers University.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does President H.W. Bush's alma-mater spend per student?
2. What term does Harper describe as "you crawl along the street and look for rocks. You look for rocks that other people spill. You crawl along your knees..."
3. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
4. What do the students at Camden High School do during their lunch hour?
5. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)