|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of people does Octovia, a child at the Anacostia elementary school, say that the girls want to be like when they grow up?
(a) Rock stars.
2. What did the press report soon after Kozol's visit to the Anacostia elementary school?
(a) A muder at the school.
(b) A lawsuit against the public schools in D.C.
(c) A prostitution round-up.
(d) Statistics about the D.C. dropout rate.
3. How many students attend Camden High School?
4. What was the former purpose of the building that houses PS261?
(a) Roller skating rink.
(d) Movie theater.
5. What are test scores in math and reading in America graded against?
(a) A regional standard.
(b) A norm or average.
(c) A national standard.
(d) An absolute standard.
6. Why did Kozol stay in Cherry Hill while he was visiting Camden?
(a) Because Cherry Hill offers more shops and eateries.
(b) Because Kozol prefered to stay in an upper-income neighborhood.
(c) Because the school administrators thought Kozol would be safer in the suburbs.
(d) Because Camden did not have any hotels.
7. What racial group makes up 92 percent of the children that attend the public schools in Washington, D.C.?
8. How many students attend PS261 daily?
9. What does Thurston say black people did not understand regarding their children and the public education system in Washington, D.C. and those in the surrounding suburbs?
(a) The length that whites would go to keep their children at a distance from black children.
(b) The changes that were needed to make the school system equivalent to those in the D.C. suburbs.
(c) The changes that the school system would make if white parents complained about the system.
(d) The amount of money needed to educate children in the school system.
10. According to the principal, how much does Woodrow Wilson spend yearly on each student?
11. According to Kozol, how many people are supposed to be in PS261 at one time?
12. Why does one of the psychiatrists that Kozol speaks to believe many whites think more money will not help inner city schools?
(a) Because they believe that poor blacks should not be allowed in white schools.
(b) Because they believe non-whites are actually born inferior.
(c) Because they believe that a good education should be reserved for the rich.
(d) Because they believe that non-whites do not deserve a better education.
13. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
14. According to Thurston, why are poor people in Washington, D.C. willing to accept a dual system of public education?
(a) They want to keep the white and black middle class from fleeing the city.
(b) They are ignorant to the fleeing of the middle class from the city.
(c) Poor parents want to expand the educational opportunities of their children.
(d) The poor do not realize there is a dual system of education.
15. What business entities exist in Camden but do not pay taxes?
(a) A chemical plant and incinerator.
(b) A pharmacutical plant and a sewage treatment plant.
(c) An incinerator and sewage treatment plant.
(d) A sewage treatment plant and a chemical plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
2. Who used to attend the church in Camden that Kozol passes while chatting with two teachers from Camden High School?
3. What type of early child care program can the principal at PS79 not start at his school?
4. What is the dropout rate for Woodrow Wilson High School?
5. What is one way not mentioned by Kozol's friend Elizabeth that poor people know that they are living in a rich society?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)