Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
(a) Low teacher salaries and space.
(b) Low enrollment and traunt students.
(c) Dropouts and space.
(d) Dropouts and low teacher salaries.
2. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
(a) Through interpretive dance.
(b) By writing poetry.
(c) By writing short stories.
(d) In theater.
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
(a) 300 years.
(b) 200 years.
(c) 100 years.
(d) 400 years.
4. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
(a) He is working full-time as a manager in a fast food resturant.
(b) He is a student at Rutgers University.
(c) He is living on the streets.
(d) He is a cocaine addict in jail.
5. What is the race of the non-white children in the accelerated classes at the school in Riverdale?
6. Which city does Kozol point out as having a non-white administration for two years where conditions did not improve?
7. According to Delabian Rice Thurston, where do the rich in Washington, D.C. try to send their children?
(a) Catholic school.
(b) Boarding school.
(c) Public school.
(d) Private school.
8. How low does Kozol report you can purchase a home for in North Camden?
9. Who does the press hail as the answer to solving local school problems?
(a) Non-white leaders.
(b) White leaders.
(c) Government officials.
(d) School administrators.
10. What issue do PS261 and PS79 share?
(a) Lack of space.
(b) Unqualified teachers.
(c) Lack of up-to-date resources.
(d) Low enrollment.
11. Where do most of the motivated children at Morris High School plan to go after they graduate?
(a) The military.
(b) Technical school.
(c) To work.
(d) Community college.
12. Who is the former principal of East Side High School that was praised by U.S. Education Secretary William Bennett?
(a) Joe Clark.
(b) James Richmond.
(c) Jim Johnson.
(d) John Brown.
13. What does the principal of Tunisia's school say she sees children doing in order to have something to eat at home?
(a) Asking for extra food at lunch.
(b) Staying after school to receive free dinner.
(c) Pocketing chicken nuggets.
(d) Stealing from other students lunches.
14. What reason do students give Kozol for dropping out of school in New York?
(a) They felt unknown in their schools.
(b) The did not get good grades.
(c) They did not like their teachers.
(d) They felt that school was not for them.
15. According to the Wall Street Journal, what are the two worlds of Washington, D.C.?
(a) The one of presidents and congressmen.
(b) The one of the House and the Senate.
(c) The one with sparking white monuments and Anacostia.
(d) The one of Capitol Hill and Brookland Manor.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does the principal in Anacostia say many of the boys in her school will be dead?
2. After speaking to the kindergarten class at PS79, Kozol learns that one of the African-American boys in the class travels how long each day to get to school?
3. What term does the principal at Camden High School give to the dividing up of the children based on their previous test results?
4. According to Kozol, what statistic does New York find hard to track?
5. Why did the city of Chicago construct the high-speed Dan Ryan Expressway to go around certain parts of the city?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)