|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kozol think will not solve inner-city problems?
(a) More social services.
(b) Better schools.
(c) More social workers in the neighborhood.
(d) More minority-owned businesses.
2. According to Thurston, why are poor people in Washington, D.C. willing to accept a dual system of public education?
(a) The poor do not realize there is a dual system of education.
(b) They are ignorant to the fleeing of the middle class from the city.
(c) They want to keep the white and black middle class from fleeing the city.
(d) Poor parents want to expand the educational opportunities of their children.
3. According to the principal, how much does Woodrow Wilson spend yearly on each student?
4. What term does Harper describe as "you crawl along the street and look for rocks. You look for rocks that other people spill. You crawl along your knees..."
5. According to Kozol, how many people are supposed to be in PS261 at one time?
6. What does Kozol say Camden's entire property wealth of $250 million is less than the value of?
(a) One casino in Atlantic City.
(b) One school in the suburbs of Camden.
(c) One upscale department store on New York City's Fifth Avenue.
(d) One country club in Cherry Hill.
7. Which citiy sits across the Delaware River from Camden?
(a) Trenton, NJ.
(b) Philadelphia, PA.
(c) Dover, DE.
(d) New York, NY.
8. Which school did President George H.W. Bush attend?
(a) Dearfield Academy.
(b) St. Johns Academy.
(c) Phillips Academy.
(d) Dearborne Academy.
9. What type of facility is missing from Camden High School?
(a) Teacher's lounge.
(b) A lunch facility.
(c) Locker room.
10. What type of equipment do the students at Pyne Point Junior High use in their typing class?
(a) Old Dell computers.
(b) Slightly used computers from one of the schools in Cherry Hill.
(c) New Olympia typewriters.
(d) Old Olympia typewriters.
11. What are test scores in math and reading in America graded against?
(a) A norm or average.
(b) A national standard.
(c) A regional standard.
(d) An absolute standard.
12. What reason do students give Kozol for dropping out of school in New York?
(a) They felt unknown in their schools.
(b) The did not get good grades.
(c) They did not like their teachers.
(d) They felt that school was not for them.
13. What do the students at Camden High School do during their lunch hour?
(a) Attend a remedial class.
(b) Get bused to a school in Cherry Hill.
(c) They leave school to obtain lunch elsewhere.
(d) Eat lunch in the cafeteria.
14. What does John Coons of the University of California, Berkeley say all children technically are?
15. Why does one of the psychiatrists that Kozol speaks to believe many whites think more money will not help inner city schools?
(a) Because they believe that non-whites do not deserve a better education.
(b) Because they believe that a good education should be reserved for the rich.
(c) Because they believe non-whites are actually born inferior.
(d) Because they believe that poor blacks should not be allowed in white schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
2. What type of people does Octovia, a child at the Anacostia elementary school, say that the girls want to be like when they grow up?
3. Who used to attend the church in Camden that Kozol passes while chatting with two teachers from Camden High School?
4. What are two of the problems that Vernon Dover, principal of Pyne Point Junior High, tells Kozol exist at his school?
5. How many students attend PS261 daily?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)