|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thurston say black people did not understand regarding their children and the public education system in Washington, D.C. and those in the surrounding suburbs?
(a) The changes that were needed to make the school system equivalent to those in the D.C. suburbs.
(b) The amount of money needed to educate children in the school system.
(c) The changes that the school system would make if white parents complained about the system.
(d) The length that whites would go to keep their children at a distance from black children.
2. How does the school administrator at Morris High School in the South Bronx encourage the supposedly slow children to express themselves?
(a) By writing poetry.
(b) Through interpretive dance.
(c) By writing short stories.
(d) In theater.
3. What business entities exist in Camden but do not pay taxes?
(a) An incinerator and sewage treatment plant.
(b) A chemical plant and incinerator.
(c) A sewage treatment plant and a chemical plant.
(d) A pharmacutical plant and a sewage treatment plant.
4. Who used to attend the church in Camden that Kozol passes while chatting with two teachers from Camden High School?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) Langston Hughes.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
5. What racial group makes up 92 percent of the children that attend the public schools in Washington, D.C.?
6. What does the principal of Tunisia's school say she sees children doing in order to have something to eat at home?
(a) Staying after school to receive free dinner.
(b) Pocketing chicken nuggets.
(c) Stealing from other students lunches.
(d) Asking for extra food at lunch.
7. How many of the girls does the principal in Anacostia say will be pregnant by the fifth grade?
(a) One fourth.
(b) Two thirds.
(c) One third.
(d) Three fourths.
8. How many students attend PS261 daily?
9. Which school did President George H.W. Bush attend?
(a) St. Johns Academy.
(b) Phillips Academy.
(c) Dearborne Academy.
(d) Dearfield Academy.
10. According to Kozol, what statistic does New York find hard to track?
(a) The actual number of teachers in the system.
(b) The number of students enrolled in urban public schools.
(c) The actual dropout rate.
(d) The races and ethnicities of the students in the public school system.
11. Which city does Kozol point out as having a non-white administration for two years where conditions did not improve?
12. What issue do PS261 and PS79 share?
(a) Lack of space.
(b) Unqualified teachers.
(c) Low enrollment.
(d) Lack of up-to-date resources.
13. At what age does the principal in Anacostia say many of the boys in her school will be dead?
14. What is one way not mentioned by Kozol's friend Elizabeth that poor people know that they are living in a rich society?
(a) Reading books.
15. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
(a) Students with an interest in the manual arts.
(b) Truant students.
(c) The special education students.
(d) The honors students.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kozol, students in what racial group are more often categorized as retarded?
2. According to one teacher at Camden High School, what does the high school proficiency exam control?
3. What does Kozol think will not solve inner-city problems?
4. How many students attend Camden High School?
5. What term does Harper describe as "you crawl along the street and look for rocks. You look for rocks that other people spill. You crawl along your knees..."
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)