|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Delabian Rice Thurston, where do the rich in Washington, D.C. try to send their children?
(a) Boarding school.
(b) Catholic school.
(c) Public school.
(d) Private school.
2. What is one way Jonathan Kozol says can show people how valuable we think they are?
(a) By the textbooks that are in the classrooms at the school.
(b) By the number of social workers assigned to a school.
(c) By the medical care we offer them.
(d) By the amount of welfare they receive.
3. What was the former purpose of the building that houses PS261?
(c) Movie theater.
(d) Roller skating rink.
4. What does the principal at PS79 say he will have to do if more students enroll at his school?
(a) He will have to find another building.
(b) He will have to expand his classes.
(c) He will have to bus them to another school.
(d) He will have to hold some classes in temporary trailers.
5. What do the students at Camden High School do during their lunch hour?
(a) They leave school to obtain lunch elsewhere.
(b) Get bused to a school in Cherry Hill.
(c) Eat lunch in the cafeteria.
(d) Attend a remedial class.
6. According to the principal, how much does Woodrow Wilson spend yearly on each student?
7. What racial group makes up 92 percent of the children that attend the public schools in Washington, D.C.?
8. What type of facility is missing from Camden High School?
(a) A lunch facility.
(b) Locker room.
(d) Teacher's lounge.
9. Why did the city of Chicago construct the high-speed Dan Ryan Expressway to go around certain parts of the city?
(a) To cut off the section of the city that houses the housing projects for black people.
(b) To avoid sections of the city that were not highly populated.
(c) To cut off the industrial sections of the city.
(d) To only service those living in the suburbs, but working in downtown Chicago.
10. After speaking to the kindergarten class at PS79, Kozol learns that one of the African-American boys in the class travels how long each day to get to school?
(a) 4 hours.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 3 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
11. What did the press report soon after Kozol's visit to the Anacostia elementary school?
(a) A lawsuit against the public schools in D.C.
(b) Statistics about the D.C. dropout rate.
(c) A muder at the school.
(d) A prostitution round-up.
12. According to Kozol, students in what racial group are more often categorized as retarded?
13. What state is Camden located in?
(c) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
14. According to Harper, how does her teacher punish the children?
(a) By standing in the corner.
(c) By sending them to the principal's office.
(d) With a paddle.
15. What term does the principal at Camden High School give to the dividing up of the children based on their previous test results?
(a) Selective grouping.
(b) Homogeneous grouping.
(c) Random selection.
(d) Heterogeneous grouping.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
2. Why did Kozol stay in Cherry Hill while he was visiting Camden?
3. Who are the manual arts classes in the Riverdale school reserved for?
4. What does the Wall Street Journal say has remained static while per-pupil spending has increased?
5. How many students from Woodrow Wilson, according to Kozol, sign up to take the SAT in the spring of 1990 when he visits?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)