|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Delabian Rice Thurston, where do the rich in Washington, D.C. try to send their children?
(a) Boarding school.
(b) Public school.
(c) Catholic school.
(d) Private school.
2. At what age does the principal in Anacostia say many of the boys in her school will be dead?
3. How long do some of the students at Morris High School think it will be before blacks and whites work together to better public education?
(a) 300 years.
(b) 200 years.
(c) 400 years.
(d) 100 years.
4. What type of people does Octovia, a child at the Anacostia elementary school, say that the girls want to be like when they grow up?
(c) Rock stars.
5. What is the fate of Raymond Abbot long after the court's decision is rendered?
(a) He is working full-time as a manager in a fast food resturant.
(b) He is a cocaine addict in jail.
(c) He is living on the streets.
(d) He is a student at Rutgers University.
6. What does Kozol say Camden's entire property wealth of $250 million is less than the value of?
(a) One casino in Atlantic City.
(b) One school in the suburbs of Camden.
(c) One upscale department store on New York City's Fifth Avenue.
(d) One country club in Cherry Hill.
7. What is one way Jonathan Kozol says can show people how valuable we think they are?
(a) By the medical care we offer them.
(b) By the textbooks that are in the classrooms at the school.
(c) By the amount of welfare they receive.
(d) By the number of social workers assigned to a school.
8. According to Kozol, what is the estimated worth of the education a child receives in the suburbs of New York?
9. How much money does President H.W. Bush's alma-mater spend per student?
10. According to Kozol, how many people are supposed to be in PS261 at one time?
11. Which citiy sits across the Delaware River from Camden?
(a) Dover, DE.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Trenton, NJ.
(d) Philadelphia, PA.
12. According to Kozol, what statistic does New York find hard to track?
(a) The number of students enrolled in urban public schools.
(b) The actual dropout rate.
(c) The actual number of teachers in the system.
(d) The races and ethnicities of the students in the public school system.
13. According to Kozol, students in what racial group are more often categorized as retarded?
14. How many students attend PS261 daily?
15. What is one way not mentioned by Kozol's friend Elizabeth that poor people know that they are living in a rich society?
(c) Reading books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Harper describe as "you crawl along the street and look for rocks. You look for rocks that other people spill. You crawl along your knees..."
2. What state is Camden located in?
3. What did the press report soon after Kozol's visit to the Anacostia elementary school?
4. What do the students at Camden High School do during their lunch hour?
5. What business entities exist in Camden but do not pay taxes?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)