|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Goodwin make money?
2. Who is the first person Temple talks to after waking up on the plantation?
3. What does Temple wear to bed?
4. Where does Ruby see Popeye with Temple?
5. How does Temple lock her room at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Narcissa think Benbow should do when she first sees him at her house?
2. What makes Temple so upset in the car with Popeye?
3. What does Stevens do when he wakes up on the plantation?
4. What causes Ruby to go down to the river with her baby?
5. What is Goodwin arrested for, and how does he respond?
6. How does Stevens end his relationship with Narcissa?
7. How does Ruby treat Benbow when they first meet?
8. How is Narcissa described when she is first introduced?
9. How does Goodwin make a living?
10. Where does Temple wake up on the plantation, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prohibition plays a huge role in this plot. What is Prohibition, and how did its inclusion in this plot make a difference?
Essay Topic 2
The importance and influence of family relations was a very strong theme present in this book. What are some of the instances of this theme, and which characters were most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Purity is a main theme of this book. How is this theme presented, and why would this be so central in a plot like this?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)