|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ruby stay while Goodwin is in prison?
2. What happens to the African American murderer?
3. Where did Stevens attend college?
4. What is Goodwin arrested for?
5. Who does Ruby think Temple shuns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Narcissa described when she is first introduced?
2. What prank is played on Stevens, and why?
3. What does Tommy say about the road being blocked off?
4. Why does Popeye tell Ruby he is leaving?
5. Why does Ruby say she has stayed at the plantation?
6. What causes Ruby to go down to the river with her baby?
7. What kind act does Ruby to for Temple?
8. What is the first challenge Benbow poses to Popeye?
9. How does Stevens end his relationship with Narcissa?
10. What happens when Benbow and Popeye first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prohibition plays a huge role in this plot. What is Prohibition, and how did its inclusion in this plot make a difference?
Essay Topic 2
Discrimination is a very important topic of discussion in this book. How is this discussion brought about, and how does it affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many people tried to protect Temple in this book, but all were unsuccessful. Who tried to protect her, and what made their attempts so futile?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)