|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Temple do when Popeye finds her at the plantation?
2. How many times does Stevens get drunk after leaving Taylor?
3. How does Temple feel when she wakes up at the plantation?
4. Why does Stevens go to the barn at the Frenchman Place?
5. What does Ruby warn Temple of at the Frenchman Place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stevens end his relationship with Narcissa?
2. How does Temple fare the night she spends on the plantation?
3. How does Ruby feel about Temple when they first meet?
4. How does Tommy react to a fight on the plantation?
5. What is the first challenge Benbow poses to Popeye?
6. What is Temple’s family like?
7. What is Goodwin arrested for, and how does he respond?
8. How is Narcissa described when she is first introduced?
9. How does Goodwin make a living?
10. Where does Temple wake up on the plantation, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Orson Scott Card have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Justice and Mercy are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
Essay Topic 3
Many people tried to protect Temple in this book, but all were unsuccessful. Who tried to protect her, and what made their attempts so futile?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)