|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy do to break the tension when he is caught drinking in the diner?
2. How many friends come to visit Gillian after she stays home from school at the beginning of the book?
3. What is the name of the woman Thomas takes to the dance?
4. What is Addie's last name?
5. What is Delilah's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Addie do for Jack when she hears he has nowhere to stay?
2. What happens when Jack sees a plate of uneaten food in the diner one night?
3. Why does Jack decide to stop in Salem Falls?
4. What does Jack do to help Addie when he first meets her in her diner?
5. How did Addie get pregnant with Chloe?
6. What does Addie do after making Jack leave her house?
7. What does Charlie Saxton choose to do when he hears that Jack is a convicted sex offender?
8. What does Gillian say happened the night in the woods?
9. Why did Jack take Catherine to get some birth control pills?
10. What does Starshine tell Gillian about when she comes to buy Belladonna from her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
Essay Topic 3
What did Jack learn from his time in prison, and how did this knowledge affect his life when he was finally released from prison?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)