|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 1, what city does Joan hope will be the location for the siege?
2. What does the French commander do to Joan in Scene 3?
3. In Scene 2, what subject is being discussed by the Archbishop and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille?
4. Who lives in the castle mentioned at the opening of the play?
5. In Scene 2, who schemes to trick Joan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Robert de Baudricourt is upset because there are no eggs for his breakfast. What does the steward tell Robert is the reason for the lack of eggs?
2. Scene 1 sees Robert go through several emotions. What are some of those emotions, and why does Robert experience them?
3. What is the additional charge brought against Joan in Scene 6, and what is her reaction to that charge?
4. In Scene 4, Joan's alignment as an individual with the French king poses a threat to what system, and why?
5. In Scene 3, what is troubling the French army commander, Dunois?
6. The church officials holding Joan's trial believe it is their duty to do what?
7. In Scene 4, two men in an English army camp are having a discussion. Who are the men, and what are they discussing?
8. In Scene 3, Joan agrees to accompany Dunois to what location and for what reason?
9. As Dunois and Joan make their way toward their destination late in Scene 3, what happens?
10. In Scene 2, why is the Dauphin called "ineffectual"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the triggering event for Joan to believe that God has called her for a mission? Is her reaction typical for that time? Do you think if Joan had lived during a different era, her reaction to hearing voices might have been different? What about religion in the Middle Ages would lead a person hearing voices to believe they are hearing the voice of a saint? Joan's convictions are strong and her faith is unshakable. Do you think blind faith was more prevalent and stronger in the Middle Ages than it is today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Joan's eleven week trial. Do you think the trial was fair? Why or why not? Do you think Joan's superior attitude had anything to do with the way the church officials went about their questioning? Why or why not? Do you think Joan's imprisonment in a men's prison was an attempt to break her spirit? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
An important part of Joan's leadership ability and faith is confidence. Joan radiates confidence borne of divine providence, and her faith is steadfast. Why is Joan so supremely confident in her mission? What makes her so confident? Do you think the supernatural events occurring during her presence increase that confidence? Why or why not?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)