|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 2, Joan receives scorn for what?
(a) Her boyish hairstyle and clothing.
(b) Her lack of military prowess.
(c) Her forward nature.
(d) Her visions.
2. What is Robert's profession?
(b) Military officer.
3. After Joan speaks with the Dauphin and his advisers in Scene 2, what does the Dauphin do?
(a) He bans Joan from the castle.
(b) He asks his advisers their opinion.
(c) He retires to his room to consider what Joan has said.
(d) He dismisses the advisers from his presence.
4. Where is the French army located in the beginning of Scene 3?
5. Who is the Dauphin's military adviser?
(a) Gilles de Rais.
(b) Archbishop of Rheims.
(c) Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(d) The Dauphin himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 2, what subject is being discussed by the Archbishop and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille?
2. In Scene 2, who schemes to trick Joan?
3. In Scene 3, how do the men in battle feel about Joan?
4. What does the French commander desperately need in Scene 3?
5. Who is incredulous and angry at his steward in Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 4, what concerns the bishop most about Joan?
2. In Scene 2, what do the Archbishop of Rheims, Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille, Gilles de Rais, and the Dauphin do to try and trick Joan, and why?
3. What is Joan's response to the church officials' threats of torture if she doesn't sign the paper admitting heresy in Scene 6?
4. What is the additional charge brought against Joan in Scene 6, and what is her reaction to that charge?
5. What is Joan's first reaction to the church officials' demands for her to recant at her trial?
6. This play takes place in France in 1492. Just from reading Scene 1, what do you think the political climate was like at that time? Whose citizens were an imposition to the French people? What is Joan's position in this struggle?
7. Describe the end of the king's dream in the Epilogue.
8. What has happened to Joan in the beginning of Scene 6?
9. How does Joan react to the powerful men kneeling at her feet in the king's dream?
10. In Scene 3, Joan agrees to accompany Dunois to what location and for what reason?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)