|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Joan associated with Robert de Baudricourt in Scene 1?
(a) She has heard about him in her brother's stories of war.
(b) She is a maid in his kitchen.
(c) He is her uncle.
(d) Her father owes allegiance to him.
2. In Scene 2, who schemes to trick Joan?
(a) The Dauphin and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(b) No one.
(c) Gilles de Rais and Archbishop of Rheims.
(d) Archbishop of Rheims, Gilles de Rais, Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille, and the Dauphin.
3. What country is the setting for this play?
4. Who is the leader that Joan hopes to influence in Scene 1?
(a) The Dauphin.
(b) The King.
(c) The Prince.
(d) The Queen.
5. What does the French commander do to Joan in Scene 3?
(a) He encourages her to move forward.
(b) He refuses to let her in camp.
(c) He holds her in check.
(d) He cedes command to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the items Joan convinces Robert to give her in Scene 1?
2. What is Joan traveling to do in Scene 2?
3. In Scene 1, what animals does the steward say are not producing?
4. In Scene 2, what does Joan raise after being given control of the military?
5. What happens after Joan leaves in Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 2, after the Dauphin dismisses his advisers from the room and consults with Joan alone, what major decision does he make?
2. How do the new king and his advisers feel about Joan and her desire to continue in battle after her success at Orleans?
3. This play takes place in France in 1492. Just from reading Scene 1, what do you think the political climate was like at that time? Whose citizens were an imposition to the French people? What is Joan's position in this struggle?
4. In Scene 2, what does Gilles de Rais tell the Archbishop of Rheims and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille about Joan?
5. Who joins the Archbishop of Rheims and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille to wait for the Dauphin's arrival in Scene 2? What is this man's nickname and why is that what he is called?
6. Is Robert's decision to help Joan in Scene 1 based on emotion or rationalization? Why?
7. In Scene 5, why doesn't Joan want to return home after her success at Orleans?
8. What does Joan do in Scene 3 to convince the men in battle that she is authentic?
9. Describe the end of the king's dream in the Epilogue.
10. Why doesn't the Dauphin hold any real power in Scene 2?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)