|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the French commander want his troops to attack?
(c) The English reserves.
(d) The English castle.
2. In Scene 2, what does Joan raise after being given control of the military?
(a) The Dauphin's spirits.
(b) Her sword.
(c) The royal decree written on parchment.
(d) The royal crown.
3. In Scene 1, what city does Joan hope will be the location for the siege?
4. In Scene 2, what is the first achievement Joan tells the Dauphin he will attain?
(a) He will live long as the ruler of France.
(b) He will regain France from the English.
(c) He will marry the princess of Spain.
(d) He will become a wise and kind ruler.
5. In Scene 2, what does Joan ask God for?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Dauphin feel about Joan's convictions in Scene 2?
2. What news does Bluebeard bring?
3. In Scene 3, what proves that Joan's power has risen significantly?
4. What would the ships be hastened by in Scene 3?
5. The play opens in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Robert's decision to help Joan in Scene 1 based on emotion or rationalization? Why?
2. Joan leaves the castle with the armor, horse and men. She is content with this mini victory. Though Robert has doubts that her mission is sent from God, what happens to change his mind?
3. What is the setting for the play, and what is the location for the opening of the play?
4. Why do you think the English officials were quick to label Joan a witch in Scene 4?
5. What news does Gilles de Rais bring to the Archbishop of Rheims and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille in Scene 2?
6. In Scene 5, what do Joan's colleagues tell her about in order to dissuade her from continuing war against the English?
7. In Scene 4, what concerns the bishop most about Joan?
8. In Scene 2, what does Gilles de Rais tell the Archbishop of Rheims and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille about Joan?
9. How do the men responsible for Joan's trial and execution react to the news that she has been canonized?
10. In Scene 6, what are the church officials willing to do if Joan will not recant her sins?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)