|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the new king and his advisers think of Joan's advice in Scene 5?
(a) They think it is an excellent idea.
(b) They think she should pray about it and come back.
(c) They think she should stay out of matters of state.
(d) They think it is dangerous.
2. In Scene 6, an additional charge is brought against Joan for what?
(a) Dressing in men's clothing.
(b) Treason against England.
(c) Imitating a church official.
(d) Disrespect to royalty.
3. In Scene 6, what does Joan risk by not submitting to the church officials' demands?
(c) Being tortured.
(d) Lifelong imprisonment.
4. Which of the following is a reason the English label Joan a witch?
(a) Her supernatural powers.
(b) Her unprecedented military prowess.
(c) Her ability to see the future.
(d) Her visions.
5. The Dauphin goes through a ceremony in Scene 5. What is that ceremony?
(a) He is crowned King of France.
(b) His baptism into Christianity.
(c) The baptism of his first born son.
(d) His wedding to a Spanish princess.
6. In what year does Scene 6 open?
7. To whom is Joan sold in Scene 6?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) The Dauphin.
(c) The English.
(d) The Spanish.
8. In Scene 6, Joan gives two reasons for dressing in men's clothing. Which of these is one of those reasons?
(a) She can't fit into her dresses.
(b) She hasn't been offered any women's clothing.
(c) She is imprisoned in a men's prison.
(d) The one dress she owns has been taken away.
9. Where in the cathedral do Joan and the officer have their conversation?
(a) In the gardens.
(b) At the altar.
(c) In the reliquary.
(d) In the vestibule.
10. What is one emotion felt by Joan's colleagues when she makes her final decision about the battle in Paris?
(a) Concern for her lack of funding.
(b) Disdain for her pride.
(c) Fear for her life.
(d) Disinterest since she ignored their advice.
11. Which of the following is a reason the English label Joan a witch?
(a) The dedication the French army shows towards her.
(b) The Dauphin's unquestioning belief in her.
(c) Her strong sense of feminism.
(d) Her disconcerting political views.
12. In Scene 4, the bishop is concerned about Joan's ___________.
(a) Amazing fighting abilities.
(b) Influence on the French citizens.
(c) Supernatural powers.
(d) Individualistic views.
13. How does Joan react to her colleagues' lack of enthusiasm for her plan to go to Paris in Scene 5?
(a) She ignores their admonitions.
(b) She takes what they say into consideration and decides to go home.
(c) She agrees with them.
(d) She takes what they say into consideration and decides to seek battle elsewhere.
14. In Scene 6, what occurs before Joan is brought into the courtroom?
(a) Joan is whipped and dressed in rags.
(b) The courtroom fills with spectators.
(c) Joan's supposed crimes are announced to the assemblage.
(d) The noblemen and church officials debate.
15. What do the Englishmen intend to do to Joan once she is captured?
(a) Canonize her.
(b) Make her Queen of France.
(c) Burn her.
(d) Hang her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the officials in Scene 6 discuss before Joan is brought into the courtroom?
2. In Scene 6, what do the church officials threaten Joan with when she refuses to recant?
3. With whom is Joan carrying on a discussion in Scene 5 while in the cathedral?
4. In Scene 5, Joan desires to take a certain path now that she has been successful in battle. Why does she want to take that path?
5. Joan discusses ___________ with a military officer while in the cathedral.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)