|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the castle in which the play opens?
(d) Château d' Azay-le-Rideau.
2. In Scene 1, what animals does the steward say are not producing?
(a) The horses.
(b) The cows.
(c) The birds.
(d) The hens.
3. In Scene 3, what is the goal of the French army?
(a) To find a way to obtain food for their starving troops.
(b) To swim across the river.
(c) To defeat the English army.
(d) To come up with a new formation to fool the English army.
4. In Scene 2, what is the first achievement Joan tells the Dauphin he will attain?
(a) He will marry the princess of Spain.
(b) He will become a wise and kind ruler.
(c) He will live long as the ruler of France.
(d) He will regain France from the English.
5. What is the cause of the lack of eggs for Robert's breakfast in Scene 1?
(a) The hens are diseased.
(b) A fox killed the hens.
(c) The eggs were stepped on.
(d) Maid Joan's presence.
6. What is the third thing that Robert gives Joan in Scene 1?
(a) A wagon of food.
(b) His best steed.
(c) A bag of gold coins.
(d) The assistance of a few of his best men.
7. What is the French commander doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Planning strategy.
(b) Speaking with his second-in-command.
8. What is Robert's profession?
(a) Military officer.
9. To whom does Joan make a request after the Dauphin gives her military control?
(a) St. Margaret.
(b) Gilles de Rais.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
10. What is the only power that the Dauphin has remaining in Scene 2?
(a) The power over life and death.
11. What is the name of the city where the men are waiting for the Dauphin in Scene 2?
12. In Scene 2, who schemes to trick Joan?
(a) No one.
(b) Gilles de Rais and Archbishop of Rheims.
(c) The Dauphin and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(d) Archbishop of Rheims, Gilles de Rais, Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille, and the Dauphin.
13. In Scene 2, what does the Dauphin bestow upon Joan?
(a) A significant land holding in Alsace.
(b) The crown jewels of France.
(c) Complete military authority and control.
(d) Sixteen horses and a military battalion.
14. Who lives in the castle mentioned at the opening of the play?
(b) The King.
(c) Robert de Baudricourt.
(d) The Dauphin.
15. What is Joan traveling to do in Scene 2?
(a) To speak with the Archbishop of Rheims about her visions.
(b) To convince Gilles de Rais to join her in Orleans.
(c) To declare war on England.
(d) To seek an audience with the Dauphin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert hope will help the troops with Joan's presence?
2. What does the French commander do to Joan in Scene 3?
3. In Scene 3, what is one of the attributes Joan is given that is considered verification of her reputation?
4. What is Joan anxious to do in Scene 3?
5. In Scene 1, the castle is described as located on a river between which two cities?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)