|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 1, who is the Maid who is waiting at the door of the castle?
2. To whom does Joan make a request after the Dauphin gives her military control?
(b) St. Margaret.
(c) Gilles de Rais.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
3. Joan hopes to convince the leader of her country to do what in Scene 1?
(a) Raise the alarm about the eclipse.
(b) Raise a litter of puppies she can't take care of.
(c) Raise her rival's home.
(d) Raise a siege.
4. In Scene 2, who schemes to trick Joan?
(a) Gilles de Rais and Archbishop of Rheims.
(b) The Dauphin and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(c) No one.
(d) Archbishop of Rheims, Gilles de Rais, Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille, and the Dauphin.
5. The play opens in what year?
6. What does Joan exhibit in Scene 3 that convinces the men in battle that she is sent by God?
(a) A vision of St. Margaret and St. Catherine.
(b) A piece of the True Cross.
(c) Control over animals.
(d) Otherworldly behavior and miracles.
7. In Scene 2, where do the Dauphin's advisers wait for him to arrive?
(a) In the cathedral at Rheims.
(b) In a stable on the outskirts of Lorraine.
(c) In a stable on the outskirts of Champagne.
(d) In a castle.
8. What is the name of the castle in which the play opens?
(c) Château d' Azay-le-Rideau.
9. In Scene 2, what is the second achievement that Joan tells the Dauphin he will attain?
(a) He will become wealthy quickly and be able to pay his debts.
(b) He will be crowned as King of France in the Cathedral of Rheims.
(c) He will be killed in battle and become a war hero for France.
(d) He will vanquish the Spanish in battle.
10. What is the name of the city where the men are waiting for the Dauphin in Scene 2?
11. What does Robert hope will help the troops with Joan's presence?
(a) An heirloom sword.
(b) Beauty and strength.
(c) Fervor and talk of God.
(d) A big gun.
12. What is the third thing that Robert gives Joan in Scene 1?
(a) A bag of gold coins.
(b) A wagon of food.
(c) The assistance of a few of his best men.
(d) His best steed.
13. In Scene 2, what is the first achievement Joan tells the Dauphin he will attain?
(a) He will become a wise and kind ruler.
(b) He will live long as the ruler of France.
(c) He will marry the princess of Spain.
(d) He will regain France from the English.
14. In Scene 1, what does Robert hope Joan will do for the troops?
(a) Inspire them to battle the Russians.
(b) Bring them food and water.
(c) Treat their wounds.
(d) Bolster morale and purpose.
15. Who is incredulous and angry at his steward in Scene 1?
(a) Le Compte de Chablis.
(b) de Richeleau.
(c) Lord Chamberlain.
(d) Robert de Baudricourt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the French commander desperately need in Scene 3?
2. The hens' recovery at the end of Scene 1 proves what to Robert?
3. What is Robert's profession?
4. What news does Bluebeard bring?
5. What is Joan anxious to do in Scene 3?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)