Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 1, the castle is described as located on a river between which two cities?
(a) Champagne and Lorraine.
(b) Toulouse and Nice.
(c) Marseille and Lyon.
(d) Montpellier and Bordeaux.
2. What does the French commander do to Joan in Scene 3?
(a) He refuses to let her in camp.
(b) He encourages her to move forward.
(c) He holds her in check.
(d) He cedes command to her.
3. What is the cause of the lack of eggs for Robert's breakfast in Scene 1?
(a) A fox killed the hens.
(b) The hens are diseased.
(c) Maid Joan's presence.
(d) The eggs were stepped on.
4. Who is the Dauphin's military adviser?
(a) Gilles de Rais.
(b) Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(c) Archbishop of Rheims.
(d) The Dauphin himself.
5. In Scene 2, what subject is being discussed by the Archbishop and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille?
(a) A plan to overthrow the Dauphin.
(b) Financial matters of state.
(c) What to have for dinner.
(d) The dour state of France.
6. In Scene 3, how do the men in battle feel about Joan?
(a) They reject her because she is a woman.
(b) They welcome her and her powers.
(c) They pretend to welcome her but secretly conspire against her.
(d) They deny her authority.
7. What is the French army unable to do in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Come up with a competent strategy.
(b) Defeat the Spanish.
(c) Cross the river.
(d) Get organized.
8. What is one of the items Joan convinces Robert to give her in Scene 1?
(c) A ride into the nearest city.
(d) A cross.
9. In Scene 1, what does Robert think about Joan's assertion that she hears voices?
(a) He thinks it is exciting.
(b) He thinks it is miraculous.
(c) He thinks nothing of it.
(d) He thinks it is preposterous.
10. Joan hopes to convince the leader of her country to do what in Scene 1?
(a) Raise a litter of puppies she can't take care of.
(b) Raise her rival's home.
(c) Raise the alarm about the eclipse.
(d) Raise a siege.
11. How does Joan feel about meeting with the leader of her country?
12. In Scene 2, Joan receives scorn for what?
(a) Her visions.
(b) Her boyish hairstyle and clothing.
(c) Her forward nature.
(d) Her lack of military prowess.
13. What does Joan exhibit in Scene 3 that convinces the men in battle that she is sent by God?
(a) Control over animals.
(b) Otherworldly behavior and miracles.
(c) A piece of the True Cross.
(d) A vision of St. Margaret and St. Catherine.
14. In Scene 3, what happens right after Joan prays?
(a) A deer runs into the camp, allowing the troops to eat and avoid starvation.
(b) The river parts, allowing the troops to cross.
(c) The wind changes in their favor.
(d) The English army retreats.
15. To whom does the Dauphin owe a financial debt?
(a) The powerful men who surround him.
(b) Robert de Baudricourt.
(d) The king of England.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which landmark is the French army located in the beginning of Scene 3?
2. In Scene 2, who tries to trick Joan into thinking he is the Dauphin?
3. What is Joan anxious to do in Scene 3?
4. In Scene 3, what is one of the attributes Joan is given that is considered verification of her reputation?
5. There is an officer in Scene 2 nicknamed "Bluebeard." Why is that his nickname?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)