|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of Joan's request to the leader of her country in Scene 1?
(a) To be able to find a rich husband.
(b) To bring peace to the kingdom.
(c) To make sure she is paid a fair wage for her duties.
(d) To drive the English out of France.
2. After Joan speaks with the Dauphin and his advisers in Scene 2, what does the Dauphin do?
(a) He asks his advisers their opinion.
(b) He bans Joan from the castle.
(c) He retires to his room to consider what Joan has said.
(d) He dismisses the advisers from his presence.
3. In Scene 2, Joan receives scorn for what?
(a) Her forward nature.
(b) Her lack of military prowess.
(c) Her boyish hairstyle and clothing.
(d) Her visions.
4. What is Joan traveling to do in Scene 2?
(a) To seek an audience with the Dauphin.
(b) To speak with the Archbishop of Rheims about her visions.
(c) To convince Gilles de Rais to join her in Orleans.
(d) To declare war on England.
5. In Scene 2, who schemes to trick Joan?
(a) No one.
(b) The Dauphin and Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(c) Gilles de Rais and Archbishop of Rheims.
(d) Archbishop of Rheims, Gilles de Rais, Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille, and the Dauphin.
6. Who lives in the castle mentioned in Scene 1?
(a) The castle is abandoned.
(b) The Dauphin.
(c) The King of England.
(d) A military officer.
7. In Scene 2, what example is given of Joan's spiritual fortitude?
(a) Joan's dedication to seeing the Archbishop of Rheims crowned as king.
(b) A vision of the Virgin Mary scene on a hillside next to Joan's house.
(c) Joan's refusal to enter the cathedral in her armor.
(d) The drowning of a man who refused to stop taking the Lord's name in vain.
8. Why does the French commander not allow Joan to move forward to attack?
(a) Because the English army is too powerful.
(b) Because he thinks Joan doesn't have any idea what she is doing.
(c) Because of unfavorable wind conditions.
(d) Because he will not allow a woman to lead his army.
9. What is the second item that Robert gives to Joan in Scene 1?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A magic bird.
(c) A cow.
(d) A horse.
10. Who is the Dauphin's military adviser?
(a) Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(b) Archbishop of Rheims.
(c) Gilles de Rais.
(d) The Dauphin himself.
11. In Scene 2, what is the second achievement that Joan tells the Dauphin he will attain?
(a) He will be killed in battle and become a war hero for France.
(b) He will become wealthy quickly and be able to pay his debts.
(c) He will vanquish the Spanish in battle.
(d) He will be crowned as King of France in the Cathedral of Rheims.
12. In Scene 2, what is the first achievement Joan tells the Dauphin he will attain?
(a) He will regain France from the English.
(b) He will live long as the ruler of France.
(c) He will become a wise and kind ruler.
(d) He will marry the princess of Spain.
13. There is an officer in Scene 2 nicknamed "Bluebeard." Why is that his nickname?
(a) His beard is an odd shade of gray that looks bluish.
(b) He dyes his facial hair blue.
(c) There is a rumor that he has killed his former wives and buried them in the basement.
(d) His mother gave him that nickname as a baby.
14. What is the French army unable to do in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Come up with a competent strategy.
(b) Cross the river.
(c) Get organized.
(d) Defeat the Spanish.
15. How does Joan feel about meeting with the leader of her country?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 1, the castle is described as located on a river between which two cities?
2. What country is the setting for this play?
3. What does Robert hope will help the troops with Joan's presence?
4. Why is Robert angry in Scene 1?
5. In Scene 3, what is one of the attributes Joan is given that is considered verification of her reputation?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)