|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 3, what proves that Joan's power has risen significantly?
(a) The army's dedication to her.
(b) The blessing of the Archbishop.
(c) The fact that she has acquired an army and led it to Orleans.
(d) The English army surrenders to Joan's French army.
2. What is the purpose of Joan's request to the leader of her country in Scene 1?
(a) To be able to find a rich husband.
(b) To drive the English out of France.
(c) To bring peace to the kingdom.
(d) To make sure she is paid a fair wage for her duties.
3. What is one of the items Joan convinces Robert to give her in Scene 1?
(a) A cross.
(d) A ride into the nearest city.
4. Who is the Dauphin's military adviser?
(a) Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(b) Archbishop of Rheims.
(c) Gilles de Rais.
(d) The Dauphin himself.
5. What is the cause of the lack of eggs for Robert's breakfast in Scene 1?
(a) The eggs were stepped on.
(b) Maid Joan's presence.
(c) A fox killed the hens.
(d) The hens are diseased.
6. In Scene 2, where do the Dauphin's advisers wait for him to arrive?
(a) In a stable on the outskirts of Champagne.
(b) In a castle.
(c) In the cathedral at Rheims.
(d) In a stable on the outskirts of Lorraine.
7. In Scene 1, what does Robert think about Joan's assertion that she hears voices?
(a) He thinks nothing of it.
(b) He thinks it is preposterous.
(c) He thinks it is miraculous.
(d) He thinks it is exciting.
8. The play opens in what year?
9. What is the second item that Robert gives to Joan in Scene 1?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A magic bird.
(c) A cow.
(d) A horse.
10. In Scene 2, who is waiting for the arrival of the Dauphin?
(a) The Archbishop of Rheims and the Lord Chamberlain de la Tremouille.
(c) Robert de Baudricourt and his steward.
11. How does the Dauphin feel about Joan's convictions in Scene 2?
12. In Scene 3, what happens right after Joan prays?
(a) The wind changes in their favor.
(b) A deer runs into the camp, allowing the troops to eat and avoid starvation.
(c) The English army retreats.
(d) The river parts, allowing the troops to cross.
13. To whom does the Dauphin owe a financial debt?
(a) The king of England.
(b) The powerful men who surround him.
(d) Robert de Baudricourt.
14. Why does the French commander not allow Joan to move forward to attack?
(a) Because the English army is too powerful.
(b) Because of unfavorable wind conditions.
(c) Because he thinks Joan doesn't have any idea what she is doing.
(d) Because he will not allow a woman to lead his army.
15. To what location does Joan accompany the French leader in Scene 3?
(a) A grotto.
(b) The English castle.
(c) The Dauphin's castle.
(d) A church.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 2, what example is given of Joan's spiritual fortitude?
2. In Scene 2, what do the men do when Joan raises her sword?
3. What does Robert hope will help the troops with Joan's presence?
4. In Scene 1, what animals does the steward say are not producing?
5. Who lives in the castle mentioned at the opening of the play?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)