|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "Mess up, I say...Fall flat on your face!"?
2. Where does Ian meet Eli Everjohn?
3. When Rev. Emmett returns to preaching, what does he ask of Ian?
4. Who works for a software company, creating educational computer games?
5. What did Miss Pennington wear to the Parent/Teacher conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ian respond to Reverend Emmett advice to "view your burden as a gift"?
2. Why does Agatha refuse to go to church once she's fifteen?
3. How does Ian think Daphne reminds him of Lucy?
4. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
5. Describe Ariana Pennington's appearance.
6. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
7. Why do the children think that Ian needs a wife?
8. What is the weather in the spring of 1988?
9. Why do the members of the Church of the Second Chance pitch in to paint Reverend Emmett's house?
10. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two characters outside of the Bedloe family who have an important impact on them. How do these characters change the family in significant ways?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the airmailed bowling ball. Why do you think Lucy spends so much time making her decision to send it express? What is the significance of Danny's reaction to her choice to send it airmail?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Agatha? Do you think she had a difficult life, and how did her life shape her as a person?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)