|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Ian "Saint Maybe"?
2. Why did Daphne get an in-school suspension?
3. Why does Thomas say Ian is playing hard to get when Ian returns from the Parent/Teacher conference?
4. What does Ian sing every December?
5. What does Ian find in Lucy's jewelry box?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daphne hang on the wall in the living room with the other family pictures?
2. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
3. Why does Agatha refuse to go to church once she's fifteen?
4. What clothes does Daphne choose to wear to the dinner party?
5. Describe Daphne's dream that she tells her family and guests at the dinner party.
6. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
7. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
8. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
9. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
10. Why do the children think that Ian needs a wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two characters outside of the Bedloe family who have an important impact on them. How do these characters change the family in significant ways?
Essay Topic 2
Daphne calls Ian Saint Maybe and Mr. Cautious. Explain how you see the truth of these labels in Ian's actions and demeanor. Do you think he changes as the story unfolds? Describe one experience later in the novel where he is not a Saint Maybe.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the airmailed bowling ball. Why do you think Lucy spends so much time making her decision to send it express? What is the significance of Danny's reaction to her choice to send it airmail?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)