|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita serve for dinner on Christmas Eve?
2. Who says "Mess up, I say...Fall flat on your face!"?
3. What does Reverend Emmett tell Ian when he calls him to announce that Rita has given birth?
4. What does Ian find in Lucy's jewelry box?
5. Who insists that Ian attend a Parent/Teacher conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
2. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
3. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
4. What clothes does Daphne choose to wear to the dinner party?
5. Describe Eli Everjohn.
6. What does Daphne hang on the wall in the living room with the other family pictures?
7. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
8. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
9. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
10. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two characters outside of the Bedloe family who have an important impact on them. How do these characters change the family in significant ways?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Agatha? Do you think she had a difficult life, and how did her life shape her as a person?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Ian has an epiphany as he carries his new son downstairs to his visitors. He says "People changed other people's lives every day of the year. There was no call to make such a fuss about it." Discuss the meaning of this quote as it relates to Ian's acceptance of his role in Danny's death. Why is he no longer making a "fuss" about it?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)