|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ian meet Eli Everjohn?
2. What is the name of Rita and Ian's new baby?
3. Who calls Lucy "common as dirt"?
4. At the end of the book, who tells Reverend Emmett that she's thinking of joining his church?
5. What grade did Sister Harriet teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eli Everjohn.
2. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
3. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
4. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
5. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
6. What is the weather in the spring of 1988?
7. Why does Agatha refuse to go to church once she's fifteen?
8. Why is it significant that Ian discovers Lucy's jewelry box with her important papers?
9. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
10. Explain Ian's response to the birth of his son.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of setting in the novel, particularly the Bedloe's home. How does the interior setting reflect the state of mind of the family? When the house gets messy and in disrepair, what is happening in the Bedloe's lives?
Essay Topic 2
Dreams play an important role in Saint Maybe by giving us insight into characters' thoughts and feelings. What dreams stand out in the story? What do they tell you about certain characters? Provide specific examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Daphne calls Ian Saint Maybe and Mr. Cautious. Explain how you see the truth of these labels in Ian's actions and demeanor. Do you think he changes as the story unfolds? Describe one experience later in the novel where he is not a Saint Maybe.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)