|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Agatha tries to wash the sheets at Thanksgiving time?
2. What is Curt's profession?
3. Who says "Mess up, I say...Fall flat on your face!"?
4. What relationship does Daphne plan for Miss Pennington in Chapter Seven?
5. What does Ian tell Reverend Emmett before the prayer meeting at the end of Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it evident that Daphne just wants what's best for her uncle Ian?
2. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
3. Explain Ian's response to the birth of his son.
4. Describe Agatha's appearance when she returns for Thanksgiving after her mother has died.
5. Describe Daphne's dream that she tells her family and guests at the dinner party.
6. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
7. How does Ian think Daphne reminds him of Lucy?
8. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
9. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
10. What is the weather in the spring of 1988?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two characters outside of the Bedloe family who have an important impact on them. How do these characters change the family in significant ways?
Essay Topic 2
What role does food play in the novel, especially as it relates to the Bedloe family holiday meals? Discuss how particular recipes are linked to family memories and why this is important.
Essay Topic 3
Bee says "We've had such extraordinary troubles...and somehow they've turned us ordinary. That's what so hard to figure. We're not a special family anymore." Discuss how Bee saw her family as special before Danny's death, and why she believes they are ordinary afterwards. Do you agree or disagree with Bee's comment? Why or why not?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)