|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work does Sister Harriet do?
2. What does Reverend Emmett tell Ian when he calls him to announce that Rita has given birth?
3. Who announces his engagement on Christmas Eve?
4. Who declines Ian's invitation to walk her home after the dinner party?
5. Who brought home a saltcellar shaped like a robot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the members of the Church of the Second Chance pitch in to paint Reverend Emmett's house?
2. Why is it significant that Ian discovers Lucy's jewelry box with her important papers?
3. When Rita begins talking about having children, why is Ian reluctant at first?
4. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
5. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
6. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
7. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
8. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
9. Describe Agatha's appearance when she returns for Thanksgiving after her mother has died.
10. How does Ian think Daphne reminds him of Lucy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of Lucy's jewelry box. Why is it significant to the story that Agatha hides it, but Ian eventually discovers it? What information does the box reveal that causes Ian to change?
Essay Topic 2
Daphne calls Ian Saint Maybe and Mr. Cautious. Explain how you see the truth of these labels in Ian's actions and demeanor. Do you think he changes as the story unfolds? Describe one experience later in the novel where he is not a Saint Maybe.
Essay Topic 3
What specific details are used to describe Ariana Pennington? What is it about her that makes the children believe she would be a perfect wife for Ian? Why does Ian seem uninterested?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)