|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ian discover about the name Lucy Dean?
2. Who calls Lucy "common as dirt"?
3. Where does Rita tell Ian that she thinks she's pregnant?
4. How did Thomas Dulsimore die?
5. At the end of Chapter Seven, what do the children say they want for Ian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ariana Pennington's appearance.
2. What does the Church of the Second Chance do when Reverend Emmett has a heart attack?
3. Explain Ian's response to the birth of his son.
4. Describe Agatha's appearance when she returns for Thanksgiving after her mother has died.
5. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
6. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
7. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
8. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
9. What clothes does Daphne choose to wear to the dinner party?
10. Describe Daphne's dream that she tells her family and guests at the dinner party.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of Lucy's jewelry box. Why is it significant to the story that Agatha hides it, but Ian eventually discovers it? What information does the box reveal that causes Ian to change?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the importance of setting in the novel, particularly the Bedloe's home. How does the interior setting reflect the state of mind of the family? When the house gets messy and in disrepair, what is happening in the Bedloe's lives?
Essay Topic 3
What role does food play in the novel, especially as it relates to the Bedloe family holiday meals? Discuss how particular recipes are linked to family memories and why this is important.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)