|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Ian "Saint Maybe"?
2. What is the cold, white sauce that Reverend Emmett asks Ian to bring to dinner?
3. Whom does Daphne remind Ian of?
4. Who has the dream that a fat stranger will be hanging around Ian?
5. When Daphne has trouble finding a full-time job, where does she start working part-time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daphne call Ian "Saint Maybe"?
2. What condition is the sewing box in when Daphne and Agatha find it in the closet?
3. What does Daphne hang on the wall in the living room with the other family pictures?
4. What is the weather in the spring of 1988?
5. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
6. Why does Doug want to keep particular items of Bee's when the children are cleaning out the house?
7. How does Ian respond to Reverend Emmett advice to "view your burden as a gift"?
8. Why do the members of the Church of the Second Chance pitch in to paint Reverend Emmett's house?
9. Describe Ariana Pennington's appearance.
10. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ian describes Daphne as a fierce little girl who had to fend for herself as a child. Discuss how this is reflected in Daphne's desire to take chances and live fully as a young woman.
Essay Topic 2
Did Ian make the wrong choice to tell Danny his suspicions about Lucy? How does he avoid interfering in people's lives after Danny's death?
Essay Topic 3
Identify two characters outside of the Bedloe family who have an important impact on them. How do these characters change the family in significant ways?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)