|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message did Sister Harriet's receive from her dream about speaking in gibberish in front of a blackboard?
2. On Saturdays, what does the Church of the Second Chance do?
3. Everyone at the Bedloe house cleans the house after Thanksiving except:
4. Who dies in Chapter Nine?
5. Who has to pick up Daphne every day after school when she's sixteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the members of the Church of the Second Chance pitch in to paint Reverend Emmett's house?
2. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
3. How does Ian respond to Reverend Emmett advice to "view your burden as a gift"?
4. Why does Agatha refuse to go to church once she's fifteen?
5. What does Ian discover when he visits Mrs. Millet?
6. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
7. Why is it significant that Ian discovers Lucy's jewelry box with her important papers?
8. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
9. How is it evident that Daphne just wants what's best for her uncle Ian?
10. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of setting in the novel, particularly the Bedloe's home. How does the interior setting reflect the state of mind of the family? When the house gets messy and in disrepair, what is happening in the Bedloe's lives?
Essay Topic 2
Did Ian make the wrong choice to tell Danny his suspicions about Lucy? How does he avoid interfering in people's lives after Danny's death?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams play an important role in Saint Maybe by giving us insight into characters' thoughts and feelings. What dreams stand out in the story? What do they tell you about certain characters? Provide specific examples to support your viewpoint.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)