|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After divorcing Thomas Dulsimore, where did Lucy move?
2. What kind of work does Sister Harriet do?
3. How does Stuart divert Rita so she'll stay seated and not go into the kitchen to cook on Christmas Day?
4. Who is fifteen and does not want to attend church anymore?
5. Who urges Daphne to move out of the Bedloe home and find a place of her own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the children think that Ian needs a wife?
2. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
3. Describe Agatha's appearance when she returns for Thanksgiving after her mother has died.
4. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
5. Describe Eli Everjohn.
6. Why does Agatha refuse to go to church once she's fifteen?
7. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
8. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
9. Why does Daphne call Ian "Saint Maybe"?
10. Describe Ian's reaction when Reverend Emmett suggests that he train for the ministry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of Lucy's jewelry box. Why is it significant to the story that Agatha hides it, but Ian eventually discovers it? What information does the box reveal that causes Ian to change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the airmailed bowling ball. Why do you think Lucy spends so much time making her decision to send it express? What is the significance of Danny's reaction to her choice to send it airmail?
Essay Topic 3
Ian describes Daphne as a fierce little girl who had to fend for herself as a child. Discuss how this is reflected in Daphne's desire to take chances and live fully as a young woman.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)