|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Millet?
2. Why did the linen closet get wet?
3. Whom does Ian see Gideon leaving school with in Chapter Eight?
4. How tall is Rita?
5. In Chapter Nine, who is Ian thinking of marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Daphne's dream that she tells her family and guests at the dinner party.
2. Describe Ian's reaction when Reverend Emmett suggests that he train for the ministry.
3. Why does Agatha refuse to go to church once she's fifteen?
4. What does Ian discover when he visits Mrs. Millet?
5. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
6. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
7. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
8. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
9. Why do the children think that Ian needs a wife?
10. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the airmailed bowling ball. Why do you think Lucy spends so much time making her decision to send it express? What is the significance of Danny's reaction to her choice to send it airmail?
Essay Topic 2
What does Danny find appealing about Lucy? How does she change his life? Provide specific textual examples to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Daphne calls Ian Saint Maybe and Mr. Cautious. Explain how you see the truth of these labels in Ian's actions and demeanor. Do you think he changes as the story unfolds? Describe one experience later in the novel where he is not a Saint Maybe.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)