|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita serve for Christmas dinner while she's pregnant?
2. What does Daphne encourage Ian to do when he's driving her home and they see a motorist in a green Ford?
3. Who is an oncologist and has a handsome husband?
4. What is the name of Rita and Ian's new baby?
5. What is the cold, white sauce that Reverend Emmett asks Ian to bring to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
2. What does the Church of the Second Chance do when Reverend Emmett has a heart attack?
3. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
4. How does Ian think Daphne reminds him of Lucy?
5. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
6. When Rita begins talking about having children, why is Ian reluctant at first?
7. Explain Ian's response to the birth of his son.
8. Describe Ian's reaction when Reverend Emmett suggests that he train for the ministry.
9. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
10. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does food play in the novel, especially as it relates to the Bedloe family holiday meals? Discuss how particular recipes are linked to family memories and why this is important.
Essay Topic 2
Did Ian make the wrong choice to tell Danny his suspicions about Lucy? How does he avoid interfering in people's lives after Danny's death?
Essay Topic 3
Describe several instances of the way humor is used in Saint Maybe. Does Anne Tyler use humor effectively? Why or why not?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)