|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Saturdays, what does the Church of the Second Chance do?
2. What do Agatha and Daphne find in the cedar chest at the foot of Bee's bed?
3. What does Reverend Emmett tell Ian when he calls him to announce that Rita has given birth?
4. What is Miss Pennington's first name?
5. Who is not the type to carry a grudge, even when Agatha, Thomas, and Daphne have misbehaved with company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
2. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
3. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
4. Why do the children think that Ian needs a wife?
5. Why is it significant that Ian discovers Lucy's jewelry box with her important papers?
6. Describe Ariana Pennington's appearance.
7. How does Ian think Daphne reminds him of Lucy?
8. Why does Daphne call Ian "Saint Maybe"?
9. What does Daphne hang on the wall in the living room with the other family pictures?
10. Describe Ian's reaction when Reverend Emmett suggests that he train for the ministry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ian describes Daphne as a fierce little girl who had to fend for herself as a child. Discuss how this is reflected in Daphne's desire to take chances and live fully as a young woman.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Agatha? Do you think she had a difficult life, and how did her life shape her as a person?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ian feel about Daphne? Is he closer to her than to Agatha and Thomas? Why or why not?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)