|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Daphne get an in-school suspension?
2. After divorcing Thomas Dulsimore, where did Lucy move?
3. Where does Rita tell Ian that she thinks she's pregnant?
4. On a vacation, how do the children react to Ian's swimming out beyond the breakers until he is just a dot?
5. Who has the dream that a fat stranger will be hanging around Ian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ian respond to Reverend Emmett advice to "view your burden as a gift"?
2. Explain Ian's response to the birth of his son.
3. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
4. What does Daphne hang on the wall in the living room with the other family pictures?
5. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
6. Why do the children think that Ian needs a wife?
7. Why do the members of the Church of the Second Chance pitch in to paint Reverend Emmett's house?
8. Why does Agatha refuse to go to church once she's fifteen?
9. Describe Daphne's dream that she tells her family and guests at the dinner party.
10. What clothes does Daphne choose to wear to the dinner party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams play an important role in Saint Maybe by giving us insight into characters' thoughts and feelings. What dreams stand out in the story? What do they tell you about certain characters? Provide specific examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Identify two characters outside of the Bedloe family who have an important impact on them. How do these characters change the family in significant ways?
Essay Topic 3
Describe several instances of the way humor is used in Saint Maybe. Does Anne Tyler use humor effectively? Why or why not?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)