|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kenny Larson's doctor say the children need before they can go in the above ground pool?
2. Who is watching her relative's large horse farm where the Church has an indoor picnic?
3. What did Reverend Emmett start when he dropped out of an Episcopal Seminary?
4. Whose car broke down the night Danny killed himself?
5. Who told Mrs. Jordan the name of Agatha and Thomas' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Bedloe family react to Lucy when they first meet her?
2. How does Ian show himself to be a hero at the Church of the Second Chance indoor picnic?
3. Describe Waverly Street.
4. Why does Thomas follow the rule of not eating sugar so that he will be considered a good Christian?
5. Why is Doug Bedloe bored with retirement?
6. Describe the events surrounding Lucy's death.
7. Explain Ian's reasons for sending the children to Second Chance Day Camp.
8. Why does Agatha hide Lucy's important papers in the jewelry box?
9. How do Ian's suspicions about Lucy's behavior influence Danny's death?
10. How does Agatha try to comfort Thomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Doug Bedloe's role in the family. Do you think he is a character who sits on the sidelines of his family's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of Lucy's jewelry box. Why is it significant to the story that Agatha hides it, but Ian eventually discovers it? What information does the box reveal that causes Ian to change?
Essay Topic 3
How did Ian receive a second chance when he joined the church? Show the progression of Ian's commitment to the church and how it provided him with a source of comfort and support.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)