|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agatha tell Ian to do when he tries to stop Daphne from crying in Chapter Three?
2. Who starts a fire in the attic while trying to install an intercom?
3. Who wears plaid shirts, ripped jeans, and high tops held together with electrical tape to school?
4. Why does Lucy have no one to help her with her children?
5. At what time does Rev. Emmett visit the Church Day Camp in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding Lucy's death.
2. What does "difficult ages" mean to Bee and why do they have their own table at family celebrations?
3. Explain how Reverend Emmett founded The Church of the Second Chance.
4. Explain how Agatha tries to care for her baby sister, Daphne.
5. How does the Bedloe family react to Lucy when they first meet her?
6. Describe Ian Bedloe when he was still in high school.
7. How does Doug get involved with the foreigners on Waverly Street?
8. What does Grandma Bedloe find when she and Ian arrive with a basketful of food?
9. What does Doug Bedloe do to find Agatha and Thomas' father?
10. Why does Lucy visit the typewriter shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Ian receive a second chance when he joined the church? Show the progression of Ian's commitment to the church and how it provided him with a source of comfort and support.
Essay Topic 2
Did Ian make the wrong choice to tell Danny his suspicions about Lucy? How does he avoid interfering in people's lives after Danny's death?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the importance of setting in the novel, particularly the Bedloe's home. How does the interior setting reflect the state of mind of the family? When the house gets messy and in disrepair, what is happening in the Bedloe's lives?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)