|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ian fix the marred dining table after the Church's picnic?
2. Where did Danny and Lucy first meet?
3. In Chapter Two, who changes Daphne's diaper while she is still in the crib?
4. What did Sister Audrey leave in a dumpster?
5. What does Mrs. Myrdal say she caught Lucy shoplifting during one of their excursions together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thomas follow the rule of not eating sugar so that he will be considered a good Christian?
2. What does Grandma Bedloe find when she and Ian arrive with a basketful of food?
3. Why is Doug Bedloe bored with retirement?
4. How did Danny and Lucy meet?
5. Explain Ian's reasons for sending the children to Second Chance Day Camp.
6. Why are all the kids at Camp Second Chance terrified of Sister Audrey?
7. What is the setting for the Church's indoor picnic?
8. How do Ian's suspicions about Lucy's behavior influence Danny's death?
9. Why is Lucy taking pills and sleeping all the time?
10. Describe Waverly Street.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did Ian make the wrong choice to tell Danny his suspicions about Lucy? How does he avoid interfering in people's lives after Danny's death?
Essay Topic 2
What does Danny find appealing about Lucy? How does she change his life? Provide specific textual examples to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the importance of setting in the novel, particularly the Bedloe's home. How does the interior setting reflect the state of mind of the family? When the house gets messy and in disrepair, what is happening in the Bedloe's lives?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)