|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Lucy have before she marries Danny?
2. In what month do Lucy and Danny marry?
3. What does Daphne want to take to Day Camp as a toddler?
4. Who is Gracie?
5. Whose car broke down the night Danny killed himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandma Bedloe find when she and Ian arrive with a basketful of food?
2. What reasons does Bee give for why the Bedloe family is ordinary?
3. How does the Bedloe family react to Lucy when they first meet her?
4. How do Ian's suspicions about Lucy's behavior influence Danny's death?
5. What happens when Lucy calls Mr. Rumford's house?
6. Describe Waverly Street.
7. Why is Lucy taking pills and sleeping all the time?
8. What does Doug Bedloe do to find Agatha and Thomas' father?
9. Explain how Reverend Emmett founded The Church of the Second Chance.
10. How does Agatha try to comfort Thomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the airmailed bowling ball. Why do you think Lucy spends so much time making her decision to send it express? What is the significance of Danny's reaction to her choice to send it airmail?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Ian has an epiphany as he carries his new son downstairs to his visitors. He says "People changed other people's lives every day of the year. There was no call to make such a fuss about it." Discuss the meaning of this quote as it relates to Ian's acceptance of his role in Danny's death. Why is he no longer making a "fuss" about it?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ian feel about Daphne? Is he closer to her than to Agatha and Thomas? Why or why not?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)