|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucy have no one to help her with her children?
2. What is Lucy wearing on her feet when she cleans up the water in the bathroom?
3. What does Agatha tell Ian to do when he tries to stop Daphne from crying in Chapter Three?
4. When Mr. Belling stops visiting Lucy, where does Lucy find a job?
5. What does Bee think her family has turned into now that Danny is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Waverly Street.
2. Why is Doug Bedloe bored with retirement?
3. How does Claudia try to help her mother?
4. Explain how Reverend Emmett founded The Church of the Second Chance.
5. How is Ian absorbing the reality of Danny's death?
6. Describe Ian Bedloe when he was still in high school.
7. Do Agatha and Thomas like Ian? Why or why not?
8. Explain Ian's reasons for sending the children to Second Chance Day Camp.
9. What does Doug Bedloe do to find Agatha and Thomas' father?
10. Why does Ian take a leave from absence from college to take care of Daphne, Thomas, and Agatha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does food play in the novel, especially as it relates to the Bedloe family holiday meals? Discuss how particular recipes are linked to family memories and why this is important.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the airmailed bowling ball. Why do you think Lucy spends so much time making her decision to send it express? What is the significance of Danny's reaction to her choice to send it airmail?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ian feel about Daphne? Is he closer to her than to Agatha and Thomas? Why or why not?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)