|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Danny kill himself?
2. Who is the only person who knows how guilty Ian feels about Danny's death?
3. What does Doug think about being retired?
4. In Chapter Two, who changes Daphne's diaper while she is still in the crib?
5. In chapter Two, what does Lucy steal from the drug store after visiting the typewriter store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ian end up taking care of the children when he comes home for Lucy's funeral?
2. Why does Lucy visit the typewriter shop?
3. How do Ian's suspicions about Lucy's behavior influence Danny's death?
4. Describe Waverly Street.
5. Describe Ian Bedloe when he was still in high school.
6. What happens when Lucy calls Mr. Rumford's house?
7. How did Danny and Lucy meet?
8. Explain how Reverend Emmett founded The Church of the Second Chance.
9. What reasons does Bee give for why the Bedloe family is ordinary?
10. How does Claudia try to help her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bee says "We've had such extraordinary troubles...and somehow they've turned us ordinary. That's what so hard to figure. We're not a special family anymore." Discuss how Bee saw her family as special before Danny's death, and why she believes they are ordinary afterwards. Do you agree or disagree with Bee's comment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe several instances of the way humor is used in Saint Maybe. Does Anne Tyler use humor effectively? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ian feel about Daphne? Is he closer to her than to Agatha and Thomas? Why or why not?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)