|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays at Claudia's birthday party for only a few minutes before leaving with some friends from college?
2. What did Sister Audrey leave in a dumpster?
3. Whose suit is rucked up around his ankles from static cling, so that he looks like he's wading in the ocean?
4. How does Ian fix the marred dining table after the Church's picnic?
5. In Chapter One, who wears a pink barrette to meet her son from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Doug Bedloe bored with retirement?
2. Why does Ian take a leave from absence from college to take care of Daphne, Thomas, and Agatha?
3. Why does Lucy visit the typewriter shop?
4. How does Doug get involved with the foreigners on Waverly Street?
5. Why is Lucy taking pills and sleeping all the time?
6. Why does Thomas follow the rule of not eating sugar so that he will be considered a good Christian?
7. What does Doug Bedloe do to find Agatha and Thomas' father?
8. What does "difficult ages" mean to Bee and why do they have their own table at family celebrations?
9. Describe Waverly Street.
10. Describe Ian Bedloe when he was still in high school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two characters outside of the Bedloe family who have an important impact on them. How do these characters change the family in significant ways?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Doug Bedloe's role in the family. Do you think he is a character who sits on the sidelines of his family's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of Lucy's jewelry box. Why is it significant to the story that Agatha hides it, but Ian eventually discovers it? What information does the box reveal that causes Ian to change?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)