|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the foreigners' car after they install a garage door opener?
2. Who stays at Claudia's birthday party for only a few minutes before leaving with some friends from college?
3. What fairy tale characters does Agatha compare herself and her brother with, after her mother sips a coke and takes pills at her bedside?
4. What did Reverend Emmett start when he dropped out of an Episcopal Seminary?
5. What does Doug think about being retired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Ian's reasons for sending the children to Second Chance Day Camp.
2. What is the setting for the Church's indoor picnic?
3. Why are all the kids at Camp Second Chance terrified of Sister Audrey?
4. How does Doug get involved with the foreigners on Waverly Street?
5. What happens when Lucy calls Mr. Rumford's house?
6. How does Ian show himself to be a hero at the Church of the Second Chance indoor picnic?
7. How does the Bedloe family react to Lucy when they first meet her?
8. How did Danny and Lucy meet?
9. How do Ian's suspicions about Lucy's behavior influence Danny's death?
10. Describe the events surrounding Lucy's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Danny find appealing about Lucy? How does she change his life? Provide specific textual examples to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Bee says "We've had such extraordinary troubles...and somehow they've turned us ordinary. That's what so hard to figure. We're not a special family anymore." Discuss how Bee saw her family as special before Danny's death, and why she believes they are ordinary afterwards. Do you agree or disagree with Bee's comment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What role does food play in the novel, especially as it relates to the Bedloe family holiday meals? Discuss how particular recipes are linked to family memories and why this is important.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)