|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the Bedloe family does not always look on the bright side of things?
2. After the picnic, what does Bee admit to herself, and to Doug, about Lucy's children?
3. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what is Ian watching through a microscope in science class?
4. What does Daphne want to take to Day Camp as a toddler?
5. How does Ian help Gracie with her apartment in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doug get involved with the foreigners on Waverly Street?
2. How do Ian's suspicions about Lucy's behavior influence Danny's death?
3. Describe the events surrounding Lucy's death.
4. How does Claudia try to help her mother?
5. How does the Bedloe family react to Lucy when they first meet her?
6. How does Ian show himself to be a hero at the Church of the Second Chance indoor picnic?
7. How did Danny and Lucy meet?
8. Describe Ian Bedloe when he was still in high school.
9. How does Agatha try to comfort Thomas?
10. How is Ian absorbing the reality of Danny's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of setting in the novel, particularly the Bedloe's home. How does the interior setting reflect the state of mind of the family? When the house gets messy and in disrepair, what is happening in the Bedloe's lives?
Essay Topic 2
What role does food play in the novel, especially as it relates to the Bedloe family holiday meals? Discuss how particular recipes are linked to family memories and why this is important.
Essay Topic 3
What does Danny find appealing about Lucy? How does she change his life? Provide specific textual examples to support your discussion.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)