|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Rumford?
2. Why can't Bee take care of Lucy's children?
3. In Chapter One, who wears a pink barrette to meet her son from school?
4. Who is taking pills and sleeping all the time after Danny dies?
5. What does Thomas believe is the point of being Christian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ian absorbing the reality of Danny's death?
2. What is the setting for the Church's indoor picnic?
3. How does Claudia try to help her mother?
4. Why does Ian take a leave from absence from college to take care of Daphne, Thomas, and Agatha?
5. How do Ian's suspicions about Lucy's behavior influence Danny's death?
6. Explain Ian's reasons for sending the children to Second Chance Day Camp.
7. How does Agatha try to comfort Thomas?
8. Describe Waverly Street.
9. Why does Thomas follow the rule of not eating sugar so that he will be considered a good Christian?
10. What reasons does Bee give for why the Bedloe family is ordinary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of setting in the novel, particularly the Bedloe's home. How does the interior setting reflect the state of mind of the family? When the house gets messy and in disrepair, what is happening in the Bedloe's lives?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Doug Bedloe's role in the family. Do you think he is a character who sits on the sidelines of his family's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Reverend Emmett as a force of change in Ian's life. In what way does he influence Ian to accept his role as the children's caregiver? Does he help Ian to better understand himself? Provide at least two textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)