|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Bee take care of Lucy's children?
2. Who is Ian's girlfriend since ninth grade?
3. Where did Agatha and Thomas live with their biological father?
4. What did Reverend Emmett start when he dropped out of an Episcopal Seminary?
5. What does Claudia bake for her father's 59th birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
2. What does Grandma Bedloe find when she and Ian arrive with a basketful of food?
3. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
4. What reasons does Bee give for why the Bedloe family is ordinary?
5. How is Ian absorbing the reality of Danny's death?
6. Explain how Agatha tries to care for her baby sister, Daphne.
7. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
8. What is the setting for the Church's indoor picnic?
9. Why does Ian take a leave from absence from college to take care of Daphne, Thomas, and Agatha?
10. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
Essay Topic 1
How did Ian receive a second chance when he joined the church? Show the progression of Ian's commitment to the church and how it provided him with a source of comfort and support.
Essay Topic 2
Ian describes Daphne as a fierce little girl who had to fend for herself as a child. Discuss how this is reflected in Daphne's desire to take chances and live fully as a young woman.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the airmailed bowling ball. Why do you think Lucy spends so much time making her decision to send it express? What is the significance of Danny's reaction to her choice to send it airmail?
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)