Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Bee take care of Lucy's children?
2. Who is Ian's girlfriend since ninth grade?
3. Where did Agatha and Thomas live with their biological father?
4. What did Reverend Emmett start when he dropped out of an Episcopal Seminary?
5. What does Claudia bake for her father's 59th birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
2. What does Grandma Bedloe find when she and Ian arrive with a basketful of food?
3. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
4. What reasons does Bee give for why the Bedloe family is ordinary?
5. How is Ian absorbing the reality of Danny's death?
6. Explain how Agatha tries to care for her baby sister, Daphne.
7. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
8. What is the setting for the Church's indoor picnic?
9. Why does Ian take a leave from absence from college to take care of Daphne, Thomas, and Agatha?
10. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
What kind of person is Agatha? Do you think she had a difficult life, and how did her life shape her as a person?
At the end of the novel, Ian has an epiphany as he carries his new son downstairs to his visitors. He says "People changed other people's lives every day of the year. There was no call to make such a fuss about it." Discuss the meaning of this quote as it relates to Ian's acceptance of his role in Danny's death. Why is he no longer making a "fuss" about it?
Daphne calls Ian Saint Maybe and Mr. Cautious. Explain how you see the truth of these labels in Ian's actions and demeanor. Do you think he changes as the story unfolds? Describe one experience later in the novel where he is not a Saint Maybe.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)