Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Bee take care of Lucy's children?
2. Who is Ian's girlfriend since ninth grade?
3. Where did Agatha and Thomas live with their biological father?
4. What did Reverend Emmett start when he dropped out of an Episcopal Seminary?
5. What does Claudia bake for her father's 59th birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
2. What does Grandma Bedloe find when she and Ian arrive with a basketful of food?
3. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
4. What reasons does Bee give for why the Bedloe family is ordinary?
5. How is Ian absorbing the reality of Danny's death?
6. Explain how Agatha tries to care for her baby sister, Daphne.
7. When Rita begins to bleed while she's at the bar, how does Daphne's boyfriend Curt take charge of the situation?
8. What is the setting for the Church's indoor picnic?
9. Why does Ian take a leave from absence from college to take care of Daphne, Thomas, and Agatha?
10. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of Lucy's jewelry box. Why is it significant to the story that Agatha hides it, but Ian eventually discovers it? What information does the box reveal that causes Ian to change?
Essay Topic 2
Bee says "We've had such extraordinary troubles...and somehow they've turned us ordinary. That's what so hard to figure. We're not a special family anymore." Discuss how Bee saw her family as special before Danny's death, and why she believes they are ordinary afterwards. Do you agree or disagree with Bee's comment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does Danny find appealing about Lucy? How does she change his life? Provide specific textual examples to support your discussion.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)