|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Claudia's birthday party, who does Thomas suspect is not a true Christian?
2. How does Ian help Gracie with her apartment in Chapter Five?
3. How do the children at the Church Day Camp feel about Sister Audrey?
4. Where does Ian take his parents at Sumner College?
5. At what time does Rev. Emmett visit the Church Day Camp in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doug get involved with the foreigners on Waverly Street?
2. What does Ian discover when he visits Mrs. Millet?
3. Why is it significant that Ian discovers Lucy's jewelry box with her important papers?
4. How does Ian show himself to be a hero at the Church of the Second Chance indoor picnic?
5. Why does Ian take a leave from absence from college to take care of Daphne, Thomas, and Agatha?
6. Explain Ian's response to the birth of his son.
7. Describe the events surrounding Lucy's death.
8. Describe Ian's uneasiness with Daphne and Gideon's relationship.
9. How does Ian end up taking care of the children when he comes home for Lucy's funeral?
10. Why does Thomas follow the rule of not eating sugar so that he will be considered a good Christian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did Ian make the wrong choice to tell Danny his suspicions about Lucy? How does he avoid interfering in people's lives after Danny's death?
Essay Topic 2
What does Danny find appealing about Lucy? How does she change his life? Provide specific textual examples to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How did Ian receive a second chance when he joined the church? Show the progression of Ian's commitment to the church and how it provided him with a source of comfort and support.
This section contains 1,591 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)