|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wears a stiff white shirt and black pants to the Day Camp?
2. What does Ian envy about the man he meets on his job who is installing cabinets?
3. Why doesn't Thomas eat any cake at Claudia's birthday party?
4. When Mr. Belling stops visiting Lucy, where does Lucy find a job?
5. What are Thomas and Agatha doing while their mother naps in the beginning of Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Agatha tries to care for her baby sister, Daphne.
2. What happens when Lucy calls Mr. Rumford's house?
3. Why does Ian take a leave from absence from college to take care of Daphne, Thomas, and Agatha?
4. Why is Doug Bedloe bored with retirement?
5. How do Ian's suspicions about Lucy's behavior influence Danny's death?
6. Why does Lucy visit the typewriter shop?
7. What does Grandma Bedloe find when she and Ian arrive with a basketful of food?
8. Why does Agatha hide Lucy's important papers in the jewelry box?
9. Why is Lucy taking pills and sleeping all the time?
10. Describe Waverly Street.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Ian receive a second chance when he joined the church? Show the progression of Ian's commitment to the church and how it provided him with a source of comfort and support.
Essay Topic 2
What does Danny find appealing about Lucy? How does she change his life? Provide specific textual examples to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What role does food play in the novel, especially as it relates to the Bedloe family holiday meals? Discuss how particular recipes are linked to family memories and why this is important.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)