|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ian work the summer after Danny's death?
2. What does Kenny Larson's doctor say the children need before they can go in the above ground pool?
3. What does Agatha bring for sharing hour at camp that comes from her mother's jewelry box?
4. Who is Gracie?
5. What does Agatha wish for when she sees the first star at night after Danny's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Reverend Emmett founded The Church of the Second Chance.
2. Describe Waverly Street.
3. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
4. How does Ian think Daphne reminds him of Lucy?
5. Describe the events surrounding Lucy's death.
6. Do Agatha and Thomas like Ian? Why or why not?
7. Why does Doug want to keep particular items of Bee's when the children are cleaning out the house?
8. Why is Lucy taking pills and sleeping all the time?
9. Why does Daphne call Ian "Saint Maybe"?
10. Why does Thomas follow the rule of not eating sugar so that he will be considered a good Christian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe several instances of the way humor is used in Saint Maybe. Does Anne Tyler use humor effectively? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the importance of setting in the novel, particularly the Bedloe's home. How does the interior setting reflect the state of mind of the family? When the house gets messy and in disrepair, what is happening in the Bedloe's lives?
Essay Topic 3
What does Danny find appealing about Lucy? How does she change his life? Provide specific textual examples to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)