|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies in Chapter Nine?
2. Who announces his engagement on Christmas Eve?
3. Who says "Mess up, I say...Fall flat on your face!"?
(a) Reverend Emmett.
4. At the end of the book, who tells Reverend Emmett that she's thinking of joining his church?
5. Who is Thomas Robert Dulsimore?
(a) Lucy's first husband.
(b) Eli Everjohn's cousin.
(c) Doug's uncle.
(d) Reverend Emmett's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Millet?
2. What does Ian tell Reverend Emmett after the Prayer Meeting in Chapter Six?
3. What advice does Reverend Emmett give Ian as they are walking home after the prayer meeting in Chapter Six?
4. How did Sister Jessie celebrate joining the Church of the Second Chance?
5. What does Reverend Emmett tell Ian when he calls him to announce that Rita has given birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
2. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
3. How does Ian respond to Reverend Emmett advice to "view your burden as a gift"?
4. Describe Daphne's dream that she tells her family and guests at the dinner party.
5. Describe Agatha's appearance when she returns for Thanksgiving after her mother has died.
6. What does the Church of the Second Chance do when Reverend Emmett has a heart attack?
7. Why is it significant that Ian discovers Lucy's jewelry box with her important papers?
8. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
9. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
10. Why does Daphne call Ian "Saint Maybe"?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)