|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rita serve for dinner on Christmas Eve?
(a) Roast beef.
(c) Black-eyed peas and rice.
2. Who is Curt?
(a) The mailman.
(b) Ian's co-worker.
(c) Rita's ex-boyfriend.
(d) Daphne's new boyfriend.
3. Where is Cicely living now that Ian is involved in the Church of the Second Chance?
4. Who dies in Chapter Nine?
5. How does Stuart divert Rita so she'll stay seated and not go into the kitchen to cook on Christmas Day?
(a) Reading her a book.
(c) Watching television with her.
(d) Card tricks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rita tell Ian that she thinks she's pregnant?
2. At the end of the book, who tells Reverend Emmett that she's thinking of joining his church?
3. Who has the dream that a fat stranger will be hanging around Ian?
4. Where is Thomas going to college?
5. Who brought home a saltcellar shaped like a robot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ian's reaction when Reverend Emmett suggests that he train for the ministry.
2. Why is it significant that Ian discovers Lucy's jewelry box with her important papers?
3. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
4. Describe Daphne's dream that she tells her family and guests at the dinner party.
5. How is it evident that Daphne just wants what's best for her uncle Ian?
6. When Rita begins talking about having children, why is Ian reluctant at first?
7. What does the Church of the Second Chance do when Reverend Emmett has a heart attack?
8. What does Daphne hang on the wall in the living room with the other family pictures?
9. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
10. What is the weather in the spring of 1988?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)