|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who urges Daphne to move out of the Bedloe home and find a place of her own?
(d) Her friends.
2. Why did Daphne get an in-school suspension?
(a) For smoking in the bathroom.
(b) For skipping school.
(c) For talking back to a teacher.
(d) For drinking beer in a parked car during the lunch hour.
3. What is the cold, white sauce that Reverend Emmett asks Ian to bring to dinner?
(a) Clam dip.
(b) Onion dip.
(c) Alfredo sauce.
(d) Ranch dressing.
4. Why does Rita have to go to the hospital when she and Ian are with Daphne and Curt at the bar?
(a) She got sick from too much beer.
(c) Food poisoning.
(d) She's bleeding.
5. Who has the dream that a fat stranger will be hanging around Ian?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has to pick up Daphne every day after school when she's sixteen?
2. What kind of work does Sister Harriet do?
3. In Chapter Nine, who is Ian thinking of marrying?
4. What kind of work does Eli Everjohn do?
5. What does Rita serve for Christmas dinner while she's pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Ian tell Reverend Emmett that he will not train for the ministry?
2. Why do the children think that Ian needs a wife?
3. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
4. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
5. What is the weather in the spring of 1988?
6. Why do the members of the Church of the Second Chance pitch in to paint Reverend Emmett's house?
7. Describe Ariana Pennington's appearance.
8. When Rita begins talking about having children, why is Ian reluctant at first?
9. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
10. What does Daphne hang on the wall in the living room with the other family pictures?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)