|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Sister Jessie celebrate joining the Church of the Second Chance?
(a) Drinking a split of champagne.
(b) Baking a cake.
(c) Having a party.
(d) Saying extra prayers.
2. Who comes up with the idea of finding a wife for Ian?
3. Who dies in Chapter Nine?
4. What message did Sister Harriet's receive from her dream about speaking in gibberish in front of a blackboard?
(a) It reinforced her desire to communicate with the students.
(b) She needed more sleep.
(c) She needed to spend more time preparing for class.
(d) A message from God to get out of teaching.
5. After divorcing Thomas Dulsimore, where did Lucy move?
(d) Caro Mill.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rev. Emmett returns to preaching, what does he ask of Ian?
2. Who has to pick up Daphne every day after school when she's sixteen?
3. What kind of work does Sister Harriet do?
4. What does Daphne encourage Ian to do when he's driving her home and they see a motorist in a green Ford?
5. What does Ian discover about the name Lucy Dean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ian respond to Reverend Emmett advice to "view your burden as a gift"?
2. What is the weather in the spring of 1988?
3. How does Ian think Daphne reminds him of Lucy?
4. What kind of cradle does Ian build in Chapter Ten?
5. How is it evident that Daphne just wants what's best for her uncle Ian?
6. Describe Ariana Pennington's appearance.
7. Why do the children think that Ian needs a wife?
8. How does Miss Pennington respond to Ian at the dinner party?
9. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
10. Explain Ian's response to the birth of his son.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)