|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is not the type to carry a grudge, even when Agatha, Thomas, and Daphne have misbehaved with company?
(d) Sister Harriet.
2. What does Ian tell Reverend Emmett after the Prayer Meeting in Chapter Six?
(a) He feels he is wasting his life.
(b) He wants more prayer time.
(c) He wants advice on adopting the children.
(d) He needs help finding a job.
3. On Saturdays, what does the Church of the Second Chance do?
(a) Prayer meetings.
(b) Takes the day off.
(c) Performs good works for people.
(d) Cleans the church.
4. What does Rita serve for dinner on Christmas Eve?
(c) Roast beef.
(d) Black-eyed peas and rice.
5. Where is Cicely living now that Ian is involved in the Church of the Second Chance?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who urges Daphne to move out of the Bedloe home and find a place of her own?
2. Who dies in Chapter Nine?
3. At the end of Chapter Seven, what do the children say they want for Ian?
4. Who is Mrs. Millet?
5. Where are the ceramic tiles from that Ian brings home while Rita is there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Ian's response to the birth of his son.
2. What does Daphne hang on the wall in the living room with the other family pictures?
3. In Chapter Ten, what is Agatha's memory of recovering from the flu by eating Hearts of Palm salad?
4. How is it evident that Daphne just wants what's best for her uncle Ian?
5. What is the significance of Rita's choice of black-eyed peas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner?
6. What clothes does Daphne choose to wear to the dinner party?
7. How does Ian respond to Reverend Emmett advice to "view your burden as a gift"?
8. Why does Doug want to keep particular items of Bee's when the children are cleaning out the house?
9. Why is it significant that Ian discovers Lucy's jewelry box with her important papers?
10. Why does Agatha ask her siblings "What's happened to Ian?"
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)