|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is bacalhao?
2. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
3. Where is Slocum at the beginning of chapter 6?
4. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
5. What was the name of Slocum's old adversary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
2. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
3. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
4. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
5. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
6. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
7. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
8. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
9. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
10. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum had a difficult time deciding what to do with his life. Examine Slocum's quest. How did the author end up in Boston? What was Slocum doing at the time? Was Slocum working at a regular job? What did he do in Boston? Who did Slocum meet while he was in the city? What prompted him to look for a boat? Who sold the boat? What kind of omen(s) did Slocum relate to his new purchase? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Joshua Slocum spent three years traveling around the world alone. Write an essay about being out to sea for three years. What did Slocum miss? Were there any major world events during the time Slocum was gone? Explain. Was Slocum able to receive any type of news while he was at sea? What events may have happened in Slocum's personal life during the three years? What changed the most during Slocum's absence? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)