|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the capital of the province where the Slocums lived?
2. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
3. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
4. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
5. What caused Slocum to vary his course?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
2. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
3. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
4. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
5. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
6. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
7. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
8. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
9. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
10. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum was compared to several different famous explorers including Columbus. Choose two famous explorers and compare them to Slocum. What routes did they take? What similarities were there between the men? Which had the most experience? Which was the most successful? Which took the longest voyage? Include details of at least one major undertaking of each explorer.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)