|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum guided the Spray to which location?
2. Where is Slocum at the beginning of chapter 6?
3. What is the name of Joshua Slocum's sister?
4. Which of the following is not an adjective used by Slocum to describe his people?
5. After leaving the Channel, Slocum was on course as he traveled through which Strait?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
2. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
3. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
4. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
5. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
6. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
7. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
8. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
9. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
10. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On several occasions Slocum was faced with people who harbored age old beliefs and superstitions. Choose at least three incidents, explain the belief or superstition, and how it was handled by Slocum. Did Slocum attempt to educate the people or allow them to believe what they wanted to believe in order to keep the peace or save face? Which is the most commonly held misconception? How could Slocum convince the people of the truth?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the story Slocum says that the sea is in his blood. What does Slocum mean when he says that the sea is in his blood? What did Slocum's father and grandfather do for a living? Do you believe a profession can be in some way inherited? How old was Slocum when he realized that he was destined to devote himself to the sea? What was the opinion of Slocum's father? Was the family supportive of Slocum's choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)