|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
2. What was the name of the captain who made Slocum an offer he couldn't refuse?
3. What adjective is used to describe Slocum's friend the captain?
4. The crew gave Slocum a gift of milk and ______.
5. Where was Slocum when he encountered another captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
2. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
3. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
4. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
5. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
6. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
7. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
8. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
9. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
10. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum made quite an impression on the islanders when he arrived in the Spray. Discuss the islanders and how they reacted toward Slocum. What was the biggest surprise on behalf of the islanders? What was the general opinion of the islanders? Choose three ports in which Slocum was greeted by islanders. Explain each group's culture, location, reaction to Slocum and his journey. Also discuss Slocum's length of stay with each and activities while he was on the island.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)