|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the bay that was located nearby?
2. Where was Slocum when he encountered another captain?
3. The boat was how many feet in length?
4. After the encounter, Slocum docks at which location?
5. What adjective best describes the Brits' attitude toward Slocum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
2. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
3. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
4. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
5. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
6. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
7. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
8. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
9. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
10. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum was compared to several different famous explorers including Columbus. Choose two famous explorers and compare them to Slocum. What routes did they take? What similarities were there between the men? Which had the most experience? Which was the most successful? Which took the longest voyage? Include details of at least one major undertaking of each explorer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)