|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had the boat been sitting in the captain's yard?
2. In what city did the captain live?
3. Which of the following began to become an issue for Slocum?
4. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
5. What color are the hills of the next island approached by the Spray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
2. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
3. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
4. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
5. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
6. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
7. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
8. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
9. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
10. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum's visits to various ports turned out to be valuable learning experiences for all concerned. Discuss the learning experiences between Slocum and the islanders. What did the islanders teach Slocum? What was the most unusual skill? What was the most practical or valuable? What skills did Slocum teach to the natives? What other items did Slocum introduce to the natives? How do you think the experiences changed each? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum had a difficult time deciding what to do with his life. Examine Slocum's quest. How did the author end up in Boston? What was Slocum doing at the time? Was Slocum working at a regular job? What did he do in Boston? Who did Slocum meet while he was in the city? What prompted him to look for a boat? Who sold the boat? What kind of omen(s) did Slocum relate to his new purchase? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum spent three years traveling around the world alone. Write an essay about being out to sea for three years. What did Slocum miss? Were there any major world events during the time Slocum was gone? Explain. Was Slocum able to receive any type of news while he was at sea? What events may have happened in Slocum's personal life during the three years? What changed the most during Slocum's absence? Explain.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)