|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the captain who made Slocum an offer he couldn't refuse?
2. Which of the following is not an adjective used by Slocum to describe his people?
3. Slocum would eventually follow the route of which famous explorer?
4. In what city did the captain live?
5. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
2. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
3. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
4. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
5. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
6. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
7. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
8. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
9. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
10. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum made quite an impression on the islanders when he arrived in the Spray. Discuss the islanders and how they reacted toward Slocum. What was the biggest surprise on behalf of the islanders? What was the general opinion of the islanders? Choose three ports in which Slocum was greeted by islanders. Explain each group's culture, location, reaction to Slocum and his journey. Also discuss Slocum's length of stay with each and activities while he was on the island.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)