Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By this time, Slocum was celebrating which major holiday?
2. In what year was Slocum born?
3. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
4. The crew gave Slocum a gift of milk and ______.
5. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts did Slocum receive as he left the island?
2. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
3. Slocum details a lot of violent gales in and around the Cape. Discuss the storms and Slocum's thoughts.
4. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
5. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
6. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
7. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
8. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
9. Give at least one example of Slocum's references to historical figures and how they related to the area in and around St. Helena.
10. What about the region was of historical interest to Slocum?
Essay Topic 1
Slocum had to be very conscientious when it came to supplies for the ship. Create a list of supplies for the journey. Include the use of each item and how long it would last. Examine Slocum's plan for obtaining more supplies. Where did Slocum obtain more supplies? What if Slocum ran out of supplies while out at sea? What supplies were most vital? How did Slocum know where to get supplies and how much they would cost? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the story Slocum says that the sea is in his blood. What does Slocum mean when he says that the sea is in his blood? What did Slocum's father and grandfather do for a living? Do you believe a profession can be in some way inherited? How old was Slocum when he realized that he was destined to devote himself to the sea? What was the opinion of Slocum's father? Was the family supportive of Slocum's choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)