|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boat was how many feet in length?
2. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
3. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
4. Once again Slocum was chased by savages. This time they were on the water in ___ canoes.
5. Which was not one of Slocum's boats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
2. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
3. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
4. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
5. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
6. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
7. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
8. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
9. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
10. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum made quite an impression on the islanders when he arrived in the Spray. Discuss the islanders and how they reacted toward Slocum. What was the biggest surprise on behalf of the islanders? What was the general opinion of the islanders? Choose three ports in which Slocum was greeted by islanders. Explain each group's culture, location, reaction to Slocum and his journey. Also discuss Slocum's length of stay with each and activities while he was on the island.
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)