|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
2. What is the name of the ship Slocum passed early on in the voyage?
3. Which of the following is not an adjective used by Slocum to describe his people?
4. One of the most interesting landmarks described by Slocum at this point was a place known as Dismal ____ Reach.
5. Slocum had always longed to be a:
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
2. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
3. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
4. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
5. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
6. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
7. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
8. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
9. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
10. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
Essay Topic 1
On several occasions Slocum was faced with people who harbored age old beliefs and superstitions. Choose at least three incidents, explain the belief or superstition, and how it was handled by Slocum. Did Slocum attempt to educate the people or allow them to believe what they wanted to believe in order to keep the peace or save face? Which is the most commonly held misconception? How could Slocum convince the people of the truth?
Essay Topic 2
Joshua Slocum spent three years traveling around the world alone. Write an essay about being out to sea for three years. What did Slocum miss? Were there any major world events during the time Slocum was gone? Explain. Was Slocum able to receive any type of news while he was at sea? What events may have happened in Slocum's personal life during the three years? What changed the most during Slocum's absence? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum was incredibly ambitious. It was especially apparent when he announced that he would sail around the world. Explain the process by which Slocum would achieve his goal. What kind of permission did Slocum have to have in order to traverse international waters? What type of relationship did Slocum have with various dignitaries, heads of state, royalty, and other leaders? How was Slocum's plan received by the government? Also explain the necessary steps Slocum had to take and what documentation was required.
This section contains 2,178 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)