Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By this time, Slocum was celebrating which major holiday?
2. In what year was Slocum born?
3. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
4. The crew gave Slocum a gift of milk and ______.
5. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts did Slocum receive as he left the island?
2. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
3. Slocum details a lot of violent gales in and around the Cape. Discuss the storms and Slocum's thoughts.
4. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
5. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
6. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
7. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
8. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
9. Give at least one example of Slocum's references to historical figures and how they related to the area in and around St. Helena.
10. What about the region was of historical interest to Slocum?
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Compare and contrast Slocum to John Cook. Why was it significant that the Spray was located atop Cook's ashes? Why was Cook important in the story? What was Slocum's opinion of Cook?
On several occasions Slocum was faced with people who harbored age old beliefs and superstitions. Choose at least three incidents, explain the belief or superstition, and how it was handled by Slocum. Did Slocum attempt to educate the people or allow them to believe what they wanted to believe in order to keep the peace or save face? Which is the most commonly held misconception? How could Slocum convince the people of the truth?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)