|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree was prevalent around the Slocum house?
2. Slocum had always longed to be a:
3. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
4. What group of islands did Slocum reach in July?
5. What is a williwaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
2. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
3. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
4. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
5. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
6. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
7. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
8. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
9. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
10. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum seemed destined to find the Spray. Explore the scenario surrounding the purchase of the oyster boat. Where did Slocum find it? Who was its owner? What was the general opinion of the townspeople when it was learned that Slocum had purchased the old boat? How much did it cost? Was it a good deal? Did Slocum see something in the boat that others could not? What possessed Slocum to commit to such an undertaking? What did Slocum need to do in order to repair the boat and ensure that it was seaworthy? Did Slocum have the necessary skills to do the work? What was the next step?
Essay Topic 2
Slocum was incredibly ambitious. It was especially apparent when he announced that he would sail around the world. Explain the process by which Slocum would achieve his goal. What kind of permission did Slocum have to have in order to traverse international waters? What type of relationship did Slocum have with various dignitaries, heads of state, royalty, and other leaders? How was Slocum's plan received by the government? Also explain the necessary steps Slocum had to take and what documentation was required.
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)