|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By this time, Slocum was celebrating which major holiday?
2. In what year was Slocum born?
3. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
4. The crew gave Slocum a gift of milk and ______.
5. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts did Slocum receive as he left the island?
2. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
3. Slocum details a lot of violent gales in and around the Cape. Discuss the storms and Slocum's thoughts.
4. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
5. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
6. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
7. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
8. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
9. Give at least one example of Slocum's references to historical figures and how they related to the area in and around St. Helena.
10. What about the region was of historical interest to Slocum?
Essay Topic 1
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum seemed destined to find the Spray. Explore the scenario surrounding the purchase of the oyster boat. Where did Slocum find it? Who was its owner? What was the general opinion of the townspeople when it was learned that Slocum had purchased the old boat? How much did it cost? Was it a good deal? Did Slocum see something in the boat that others could not? What possessed Slocum to commit to such an undertaking? What did Slocum need to do in order to repair the boat and ensure that it was seaworthy? Did Slocum have the necessary skills to do the work? What was the next step?
This section contains 2,157 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)