|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
2. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
3. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
4. Slocum recalls receiving a warm welcome when he arrived at which location?
5. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
2. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
3. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
4. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
5. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
6. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
7. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
8. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
9. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
10. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum was compared to several different famous explorers including Columbus. Choose two famous explorers and compare them to Slocum. What routes did they take? What similarities were there between the men? Which had the most experience? Which was the most successful? Which took the longest voyage? Include details of at least one major undertaking of each explorer.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most common themes in literature is man versus nature. This theme is prevalent in the story. Examine how Slocum battles with nature. Who wins? Give examples and details on specific incidents. Also examine how Slocum chose to cooperate with nature rather than work against it. Which worked better, combating or cooperating with nature? What incident most clearly shows an example of each?
Essay Topic 3
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)