|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the hills of the next island approached by the Spray?
2. Slocum was pleased to be able to make an excursion to which major metropolitan city?
3. Eventually, Slocum managed to right his course and navigate through which Channel?
4. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
5. Where was Slocum when he encountered another captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
2. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
3. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
4. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
5. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
6. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
7. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
8. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
9. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
10. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum's visits to various ports turned out to be valuable learning experiences for all concerned. Discuss the learning experiences between Slocum and the islanders. What did the islanders teach Slocum? What was the most unusual skill? What was the most practical or valuable? What skills did Slocum teach to the natives? What other items did Slocum introduce to the natives? How do you think the experiences changed each? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum was incredibly ambitious. It was especially apparent when he announced that he would sail around the world. Explain the process by which Slocum would achieve his goal. What kind of permission did Slocum have to have in order to traverse international waters? What type of relationship did Slocum have with various dignitaries, heads of state, royalty, and other leaders? How was Slocum's plan received by the government? Also explain the necessary steps Slocum had to take and what documentation was required.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)