|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
2. Slocum was offered a job aboard the experimental gunboat called:
3. Slocum was pleased to be able to make an excursion to which major metropolitan city?
4. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
5. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
2. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
3. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
4. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
5. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
6. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
7. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
8. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
9. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
10. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum spent three years traveling around the world alone. Write an essay about being out to sea for three years. What did Slocum miss? Were there any major world events during the time Slocum was gone? Explain. Was Slocum able to receive any type of news while he was at sea? What events may have happened in Slocum's personal life during the three years? What changed the most during Slocum's absence? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum was incredibly ambitious. It was especially apparent when he announced that he would sail around the world. Explain the process by which Slocum would achieve his goal. What kind of permission did Slocum have to have in order to traverse international waters? What type of relationship did Slocum have with various dignitaries, heads of state, royalty, and other leaders? How was Slocum's plan received by the government? Also explain the necessary steps Slocum had to take and what documentation was required.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)