|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum also comments on a natural phenomenon known as a:
2. What was the name of the captain who made Slocum an offer he couldn't refuse?
3. The crew gave Slocum a gift of milk and ______.
4. What location was Slocum approaching when he just missed a shipwreck?
5. What is a williwaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
2. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
3. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
4. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
5. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
6. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
7. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
8. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
9. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
10. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 2
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum had a difficult time deciding what to do with his life. Examine Slocum's quest. How did the author end up in Boston? What was Slocum doing at the time? Was Slocum working at a regular job? What did he do in Boston? Who did Slocum meet while he was in the city? What prompted him to look for a boat? Who sold the boat? What kind of omen(s) did Slocum relate to his new purchase? Explain.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)