|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
2. What was the name of the bay that was located nearby?
3. Just outside of Port Angosto, Slocum was greeted by which of the following:
4. What group of Indians chased the Spray in the Bay?
5. What was the name of the capital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
2. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
3. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
4. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
5. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
6. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
7. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
8. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
9. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
10. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum made quite an impression on the islanders when he arrived in the Spray. Discuss the islanders and how they reacted toward Slocum. What was the biggest surprise on behalf of the islanders? What was the general opinion of the islanders? Choose three ports in which Slocum was greeted by islanders. Explain each group's culture, location, reaction to Slocum and his journey. Also discuss Slocum's length of stay with each and activities while he was on the island.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum was incredibly ambitious. It was especially apparent when he announced that he would sail around the world. Explain the process by which Slocum would achieve his goal. What kind of permission did Slocum have to have in order to traverse international waters? What type of relationship did Slocum have with various dignitaries, heads of state, royalty, and other leaders? How was Slocum's plan received by the government? Also explain the necessary steps Slocum had to take and what documentation was required.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum's visits to various ports turned out to be valuable learning experiences for all concerned. Discuss the learning experiences between Slocum and the islanders. What did the islanders teach Slocum? What was the most unusual skill? What was the most practical or valuable? What skills did Slocum teach to the natives? What other items did Slocum introduce to the natives? How do you think the experiences changed each? Explain.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)