|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man was which type of captain?
2. Slocum was pleased to be able to make an excursion to which major metropolitan city?
3. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum guided the Spray to which location?
4. What adjective best describes the Brits' attitude toward Slocum?
5. What location was Slocum approaching when he just missed a shipwreck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
2. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
3. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
4. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
5. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
6. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
7. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
8. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
9. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
10. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Slocum to John Cook. Why was it significant that the Spray was located atop Cook's ashes? Why was Cook important in the story? What was Slocum's opinion of Cook?
Essay Topic 3
One of the most common themes in literature is man versus nature. This theme is prevalent in the story. Examine how Slocum battles with nature. Who wins? Give examples and details on specific incidents. Also examine how Slocum chose to cooperate with nature rather than work against it. Which worked better, combating or cooperating with nature? What incident most clearly shows an example of each?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)