|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just outside of Port Angosto, Slocum was greeted by which of the following:
2. Where was Slocum when he encountered another captain?
3. Slocum was pleased when he was able to visit with the crew of which passing ship?
4. In what city did the captain live?
5. Slocum had always longed to be a:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
2. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
3. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
4. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
5. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
6. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
7. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
8. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
9. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
10. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
Essay Topic 2
On several occasions Slocum was faced with people who harbored age old beliefs and superstitions. Choose at least three incidents, explain the belief or superstition, and how it was handled by Slocum. Did Slocum attempt to educate the people or allow them to believe what they wanted to believe in order to keep the peace or save face? Which is the most commonly held misconception? How could Slocum convince the people of the truth?
Essay Topic 3
Slocum had to be very conscientious when it came to supplies for the ship. Create a list of supplies for the journey. Include the use of each item and how long it would last. Examine Slocum's plan for obtaining more supplies. Where did Slocum obtain more supplies? What if Slocum ran out of supplies while out at sea? What supplies were most vital? How did Slocum know where to get supplies and how much they would cost? Explain.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)