|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Slocum when he encountered another captain?
2. Slocum had always longed to be a:
3. In what year did Slocum leave for his trip around the world?
4. Where is Slocum at the beginning of chapter 6?
5. Slocum was offered a job aboard the experimental gunboat called:
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
2. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
3. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
4. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
5. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
6. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
7. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
8. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
9. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
10. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum was compared to several different famous explorers including Columbus. Choose two famous explorers and compare them to Slocum. What routes did they take? What similarities were there between the men? Which had the most experience? Which was the most successful? Which took the longest voyage? Include details of at least one major undertaking of each explorer.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the story Slocum says that the sea is in his blood. What does Slocum mean when he says that the sea is in his blood? What did Slocum's father and grandfather do for a living? Do you believe a profession can be in some way inherited? How old was Slocum when he realized that he was destined to devote himself to the sea? What was the opinion of Slocum's father? Was the family supportive of Slocum's choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Slocum to John Cook. Why was it significant that the Spray was located atop Cook's ashes? Why was Cook important in the story? What was Slocum's opinion of Cook?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)