|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
2. After the encounter, Slocum docks at which location?
3. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
4. What previous trick had Slocum used to confuse Black Pedro?
5. What group of Indians chased the Spray in the Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
2. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
3. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
4. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
5. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
6. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
7. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
8. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
9. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
10. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum was incredibly ambitious. It was especially apparent when he announced that he would sail around the world. Explain the process by which Slocum would achieve his goal. What kind of permission did Slocum have to have in order to traverse international waters? What type of relationship did Slocum have with various dignitaries, heads of state, royalty, and other leaders? How was Slocum's plan received by the government? Also explain the necessary steps Slocum had to take and what documentation was required.
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions Slocum was faced with people who harbored age old beliefs and superstitions. Choose at least three incidents, explain the belief or superstition, and how it was handled by Slocum. Did Slocum attempt to educate the people or allow them to believe what they wanted to believe in order to keep the peace or save face? Which is the most commonly held misconception? How could Slocum convince the people of the truth?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)