|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
2. What adjective is used to describe Slocum's friend the captain?
3. Which is not listed as being one of the authors read by Slocum?
4. In what year was Slocum born?
5. Just outside of Port Angosto, Slocum was greeted by which of the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
2. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
3. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
4. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
5. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
6. What was the significance of reaching the Cape of Good Hope?
7. Fear of falling off the end of the world was the basis of which mutiny?
8. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
9. What about the region was of historical interest to Slocum?
10. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum spent three years traveling around the world alone. Write an essay about being out to sea for three years. What did Slocum miss? Were there any major world events during the time Slocum was gone? Explain. Was Slocum able to receive any type of news while he was at sea? What events may have happened in Slocum's personal life during the three years? What changed the most during Slocum's absence? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Slocum to John Cook. Why was it significant that the Spray was located atop Cook's ashes? Why was Cook important in the story? What was Slocum's opinion of Cook?
This section contains 2,093 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)