|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the most interesting landmarks described by Slocum at this point was a place known as Dismal ____ Reach.
2. Where is Slocum at the beginning of chapter 6?
3. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
4. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
5. On the first leg of the trip, Slocum sailed from Boston to which of the following locations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
2. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
3. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
4. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
5. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
6. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
7. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
8. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
9. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
10. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the story Slocum says that the sea is in his blood. What does Slocum mean when he says that the sea is in his blood? What did Slocum's father and grandfather do for a living? Do you believe a profession can be in some way inherited? How old was Slocum when he realized that he was destined to devote himself to the sea? What was the opinion of Slocum's father? Was the family supportive of Slocum's choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum made quite an impression on the islanders when he arrived in the Spray. Discuss the islanders and how they reacted toward Slocum. What was the biggest surprise on behalf of the islanders? What was the general opinion of the islanders? Choose three ports in which Slocum was greeted by islanders. Explain each group's culture, location, reaction to Slocum and his journey. Also discuss Slocum's length of stay with each and activities while he was on the island.
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum was compared to several different famous explorers including Columbus. Choose two famous explorers and compare them to Slocum. What routes did they take? What similarities were there between the men? Which had the most experience? Which was the most successful? Which took the longest voyage? Include details of at least one major undertaking of each explorer.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)