|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which was not one of Slocum's boats?
(b) Southern Cross.
(c) Northern Light.
2. What was the name of the boat purchased from the captain?
(b) Northern Light.
(d) Aurora Borealis.
3. On what date did the Spray leave Buenos Aires?
(a) January 26.
(b) May 31.
(c) December 1.
(d) September 6.
4. In what year did Slocum leave for his trip around the world?
5. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
(b) Cape May.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the captain who made Slocum an offer he couldn't refuse?
2. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
3. In what year was Slocum born?
4. What word does Slocum use to describe Fuego?
5. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
2. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
3. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
4. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
5. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
6. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
7. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
8. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
9. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
10. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)