|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum was pleased when he was able to visit with the crew of which passing ship?
(c) Northern Light.
2. One of the most interesting landmarks described by Slocum at this point was a place known as Dismal ____ Reach.
3. In what city did the captain live?
4. What was the name of Slocum's old adversary?
(a) Van Pelt.
(c) De Mello.
(d) Van Sant.
5. What color are the hills of the next island approached by the Spray?
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum referred to which famous Pilgrim?
2. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
3. What adjective best describes the Brits' attitude toward Slocum?
4. What was the name of the capital?
5. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
2. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
3. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
4. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
5. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
6. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
7. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
8. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
9. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
10. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)