|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the bay that was located nearby?
(b) Prince Edward.
2. On what date did the Spray leave Buenos Aires?
(a) December 1.
(b) May 31.
(c) January 26.
(d) September 6.
3. Slocum had always longed to be a:
(a) Master shipbuilder.
4. What caused Slocum to vary his course?
(d) Broken mast.
5. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
(d) Fishing equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
2. The man was which type of captain?
3. Slocum was offered a job aboard the experimental gunboat called:
4. Slocum was pleased to be able to make an excursion to which major metropolitan city?
5. Slocum would eventually follow the route of which famous explorer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
2. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
3. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
4. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
5. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
6. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
7. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
8. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
9. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
10. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)