|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum guided the Spray to which location?
(a) Cape George.
(b) Cape of Good Hope.
(c) Cape Hatteras.
(d) Cape Pillar.
2. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Black Pedro.
3. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
(d) Cape May.
4. Slocum recalls receiving a warm welcome when he arrived at which location?
(d) Cape of Good Hope.
5. Slocum would eventually follow the route of which famous explorer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
2. Once again Slocum was chased by savages. This time they were on the water in ___ canoes.
3. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
4. Slocum had always longed to be a:
5. In what year did Slocum leave for his trip around the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
2. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
3. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
4. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
5. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
6. Where did Slocum go while he was in South Africa? How long did the author stay? Where was the Spray during Slocum's stay?
7. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
8. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
9. What interesting disagreement was had between Slocum and Kruger? What became of the argument?
10. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)