|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
(d) Northern Light.
2. Which of the following is not an adjective used by Slocum to describe his people?
3. By this time, Slocum was celebrating which major holiday?
(a) Memorial Day.
(d) Fourth of July.
4. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
5. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
(a) Sea sickness.
(b) Ice storms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following began to become an issue for Slocum?
2. After leaving the Channel, Slocum was on course as he traveled through which Strait?
3. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
4. Slocum referred to which famous Pilgrim?
5. What was the name of the capital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
2. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
3. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
4. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
5. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
6. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
7. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
8. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
9. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
10. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)