|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which was not one of Slocum's boats?
(a) Northern Light.
(c) Southern Cross.
2. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
(a) Salted cod.
(b) Carpet tacks.
(d) Fresh water.
3. Which of the following is not an adjective used by Slocum to describe his people?
4. Slocum says his father could make anything as long as he had which of the following:
5. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
(b) British Columbia.
(d) Nova Scotia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
2. What previous trick had Slocum used to confuse Black Pedro?
3. Where is Slocum at the beginning of chapter 6?
4. Slocum was pleased when he was able to visit with the crew of which passing ship?
5. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
2. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
3. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
4. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
5. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
6. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
7. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
8. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
9. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
10. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)