|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Slocum use to describe Fuego?
2. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
(a) Fresh water.
(b) Carpet tacks.
(c) Salted cod.
3. In what year was Slocum born?
4. What color are the hills of the next island approached by the Spray?
5. What is the capital of the province where the Slocums lived?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a williwaw?
2. By this time, Slocum was celebrating which major holiday?
3. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
4. Eventually, Slocum managed to right his course and navigate through which Channel?
5. On the first leg of the trip, Slocum sailed from Boston to which of the following locations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
2. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
3. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
4. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
5. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
6. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
7. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
8. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
9. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
10. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)