|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
(c) Sea gull.
2. What was the name of the captain who made Slocum an offer he couldn't refuse?
3. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
(d) Cape May.
4. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
5. Slocum had always longed to be a:
(c) Master shipbuilder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
2. Who/what is Juan Fernandez?
3. Eventually, Slocum managed to right his course and navigate through which Channel?
4. What adjective is used to describe Slocum's friend the captain?
5. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
2. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
3. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
4. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
5. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
6. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
7. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
8. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
9. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
10. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)