|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
2. After the encounter, Slocum docks at which location?
(a) Snug Bay.
(b) Bay of Fundy.
(c) Three Cove Island.
(d) Three Sisters Island.
3. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
(a) Cape May.
4. In what year did Slocum leave for his trip around the world?
5. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
(b) Black Pedro.
(d) Captain Bligh.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man was which type of captain?
2. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
3. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
4. What is the name of the ship Slocum passed early on in the voyage?
5. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
2. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
3. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
4. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
5. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
6. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
7. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
8. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
9. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
10. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)