|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
(c) British Columbia.
(d) Nova Scotia.
2. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
(a) Fresh water.
(b) Carpet tacks.
(c) Salted cod.
3. What is the name of Joshua Slocum's sister?
4. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
(d) Fishing equipment.
5. The man was which type of captain?
(b) Coast Guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
2. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
3. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
4. Slocum referred to which famous Pilgrim?
5. Which of the following is not an adjective used by Slocum to describe his people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
2. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
3. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
4. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
5. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
6. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
7. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
8. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
9. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
10. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)