|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum was offered a job aboard the experimental gunboat called:
2. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
3. The crew gave Slocum a gift of milk and ______.
4. Which is not listed as being one of the authors read by Slocum?
5. Slocum also comments on a natural phenomenon known as a:
(a) Dog ear.
(b) Gator nose.
(c) Pig foot.
(d) Cat's paw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the capital of the province where the Slocums lived?
2. What adjective best describes the Brits' attitude toward Slocum?
3. What location was Slocum approaching when he just missed a shipwreck?
4. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
5. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. Fear of falling off the end of the world was the basis of which mutiny?
2. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
3. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
4. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
5. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
6. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
7. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
8. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
9. What kinds of activities did Slocum take part in while he was docked in South Africa?
10. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)