|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the boat purchased from the captain?
(a) Aurora Borealis.
(c) Northern Light.
2. On what date did the Spray leave Buenos Aires?
(a) May 31.
(b) December 1.
(c) September 6.
(d) January 26.
3. Which of the following began to become an issue for Slocum?
(d) Leg cramps.
4. One of the most interesting landmarks described by Slocum at this point was a place known as Dismal ____ Reach.
5. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
(d) Northern Light.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
2. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
3. Which is not listed as being one of the authors read by Slocum?
4. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
5. In what year did Slocum leave for his trip around the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
2. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
3. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
4. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
5. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
6. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
7. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
8. Fear of falling off the end of the world was the basis of which mutiny?
9. Give at least one example of Slocum's references to historical figures and how they related to the area in and around St. Helena.
10. How long was the actual trip around the world? What were Slocum's final thoughts after completing the trip?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)