|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum was able to right his course once again and was pleased to log approximately ___ miles per day.
2. Slocum says his father could make anything as long as he had which of the following:
3. What is the name of the ship Slocum passed early on in the voyage?
4. What location was Slocum approaching when he just missed a shipwreck?
5. What was the name of the capital?
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Slocum to vary his course?
2. What is bacalhao?
3. Which was not one of Slocum's boats?
4. The man was which type of captain?
5. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
2. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
3. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
4. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
5. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
6. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
7. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
8. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
9. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
10. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)