|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum also comments on a natural phenomenon known as a:
(a) Gator nose.
(b) Cat's paw.
(c) Pig foot.
(d) Dog ear.
2. In what year did Slocum leave for his trip around the world?
3. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
4. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
(c) Northern Light.
5. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
(b) British Columbia.
(d) Nova Scotia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
2. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
3. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
4. After leaving the Channel, Slocum was on course as he traveled through which Strait?
5. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
2. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
3. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
4. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
5. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
6. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
7. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
8. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
9. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
10. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)