|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the bay that was located nearby?
(d) Prince Edward.
2. How long had the boat been sitting in the captain's yard?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 7 years.
3. In what city did the captain live?
4. What previous trick had Slocum used to confuse Black Pedro?
(a) Welcoming him aboard.
(b) Firing into the water.
(c) Changing clothes.
(d) Switching directions.
5. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the boat purchased from the captain?
2. The boat was how many feet in length?
3. Slocum's issues with thieves continued. The author points out an attack with a _____ arrow.
4. What adjective best describes the Brits' attitude toward Slocum?
5. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
2. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
3. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
4. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
5. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
6. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
7. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
8. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
9. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
10. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)