|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the capital?
2. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
3. The man was which type of captain?
(b) Coast Guard.
4. What color are the hills of the next island approached by the Spray?
5. Slocum also comments on a natural phenomenon known as a:
(a) Gator nose.
(b) Cat's paw.
(c) Pig foot.
(d) Dog ear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
2. Which of the following began to become an issue for Slocum?
3. In what year was Slocum born?
4. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
5. Slocum was pleased when he was able to visit with the crew of which passing ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
2. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
3. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
4. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
5. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
6. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
7. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
8. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
9. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
10. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)