|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
2. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
3. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
(c) Sea gull.
4. Once again Slocum was chased by savages. This time they were on the water in ___ canoes.
5. What was the name of the capital?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Slocum at the beginning of chapter 6?
2. Which of the following began to become an issue for Slocum?
3. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
4. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
5. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
2. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
3. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
4. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
5. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
6. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
7. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
8. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
9. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
10. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)