|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
2. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
(d) Fishing equipment.
3. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
(c) British Columbia.
(d) Nova Scotia.
4. What group of Indians chased the Spray in the Bay?
5. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Black Pedro.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
2. Who/what is Juan Fernandez?
3. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
4. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
5. The man was which type of captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
2. Who is Ebenezer Pierce? How did the man affect Slocum's future?
3. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
4. Slocum details a lot of violent gales in and around the Cape. Discuss the storms and Slocum's thoughts.
5. What was the significance of reaching the Cape of Good Hope?
6. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
7. Discuss Slocum's interaction with the crew of the Colombia.
8. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
9. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
10. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)