|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an adjective used by Slocum to describe his people?
2. Just outside of Port Angosto, Slocum was greeted by which of the following:
(a) Island women.
3. What was the name of the captain who went on the trip with Slocum?
4. What was the name of the boat purchased from the captain?
(b) Aurora Borealis.
(c) Northern Light.
5. What is the name of the ship Slocum passed early on in the voyage?
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
2. After leaving the Channel, Slocum was on course as he traveled through which Strait?
3. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum guided the Spray to which location?
4. Which is not listed as being one of the authors read by Slocum?
5. After the encounter, Slocum docks at which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
2. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
3. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
4. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
5. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
6. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
7. Many people were concerned about Slocum's inexperience on the open sea. Explain the point of view of the people and Slocum's attitude.
8. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
9. Loneliness and boredom became issues for Slocum. Detail at least one or two things Slocum did in order to relieve these things.
10. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)