|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Black Pedro.
2. Who/what is Juan Fernandez?
(c) Coffee grower.
3. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
4. Which was not one of Slocum's boats?
(a) Southern Cross.
(c) Northern Light.
5. Slocum recalls receiving a warm welcome when he arrived at which location?
(a) Cape of Good Hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
2. Slocum says his father could make anything as long as he had which of the following:
3. On the first leg of the trip, Slocum sailed from Boston to which of the following locations?
4. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
5. Where is Slocum at the beginning of chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the region was of historical interest to Slocum?
2. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
3. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
4. What interesting disagreement was had between Slocum and Kruger? What became of the argument?
5. Fear of falling off the end of the world was the basis of which mutiny?
6. Give at least one example of Slocum's references to historical figures and how they related to the area in and around St. Helena.
7. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
8. What gifts did Slocum receive as he left the island?
9. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
10. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)