|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum says his father could make anything as long as he had which of the following:
2. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
(d) Northern Light.
3. What is the name of the ship Slocum passed early on in the voyage?
4. What is bacalhao?
5. What was the name of Slocum's old adversary?
(b) Van Sant.
(c) Van Pelt.
(d) De Mello.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what is Juan Fernandez?
2. On what date did the Spray leave Buenos Aires?
3. By this time, Slocum was celebrating which major holiday?
4. What was the name of the bay that was located nearby?
5. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
2. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
3. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
4. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
5. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
6. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
7. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
8. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
9. Discuss the Slocum's ongoing relationship with the British.
10. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)