|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man was which type of captain?
(a) Coast Guard.
2. What is a williwaw?
(c) Rain coat.
3. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
(d) Sea gull.
4. What is bacalhao?
5. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
(b) Sea sickness.
(c) Ice storms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree was prevalent around the Slocum house?
2. Slocum was offered a job aboard the experimental gunboat called:
3. What previous trick had Slocum used to confuse Black Pedro?
4. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum guided the Spray to which location?
5. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slocum talks about an omen that confirmed his ambitions for the Spray. What was the omen?
2. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
3. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
4. Examine Slocum's next encounter with savages.
5. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
6. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
7. Discuss Slocum's trip to Juan Fernandez.
8. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum encountered more issues with the weather. Explain the issues and Slocum's decision on how to move forward.
9. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
10. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)