|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Black Pedro.
2. In what year was Slocum born?
3. What adjective is used to describe Slocum's friend the captain?
4. Where was Slocum when he encountered another captain?
(a) Cape Forward.
(b) Cape May.
(c) Cape Cod.
(d) Cape Horn.
5. Slocum was offered a job aboard the experimental gunboat called:
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Joshua Slocum's sister?
2. Where did Slocum's grandfather work?
3. Once again Slocum was chased by savages. This time they were on the water in ___ canoes.
4. Eventually, Slocum managed to right his course and navigate through which Channel?
5. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Slocum's meeting with Capt. Howard and the subsequent trip to Buenos Aires.
2. Describe some of Slocum's earlier voyages. Which boat was used for this new pastime?
3. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
4. How does Joshua Slocum describe the people of Nova Scotia?
5. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
6. How did Slocum's fortune change as the Spray approached Cape Horn?
7. What is Joshua Slocum's relationship with his father? How is John Slocum described?
8. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
9. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
10. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)