|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the captain who went on the trip with Slocum?
2. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
(a) July 4.
(b) March 3.
(c) February 23.
(d) April 16.
3. Eventually, Slocum managed to right his course and navigate through which Channel?
4. Slocum also comments on a natural phenomenon known as a:
(a) Gator nose.
(b) Pig foot.
(c) Dog ear.
(d) Cat's paw.
5. One of the most interesting landmarks described by Slocum at this point was a place known as Dismal ____ Reach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
2. What is a williwaw?
3. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
4. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
5. What is the capital of the province where the Slocums lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 1 begins with Slocum in Nova Scotia. How is the Canadian province described?
2. Detail Slocum's first encounter with thieves and bandits. Discuss how the author outwitted a pirate.
3. Who greeted Slocum at Snug Bay? What happened?
4. Name at least one of the options being considered by Slocum while he was in Boston.
5. Explain the dilemma faced by Slocum when his boat was wrecked.
6. Although the townspeople were amused by Slocum's ambitions, the author saw a different side of the boat. What plans did Slocum have for the Spray?
7. What was the reaction of the townspeople when Slocum agreed to the deal?
8. Discuss the events encountered by Slocum immediately after departing from Brazil.
9. Discuss some of the issues encountered by Slocum after leaving Buenos Aires.
10. Explain at least one meeting with members of the British Navy.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)