|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum had a difficult time adapting to the customs of which island?
2. Who accompanied Slocum on this part of the voyage?
3. Who interviewed Slocum when he reached South Africa?
4. What type of bird greeted Slocum as he approached Keeling Cocos?
5. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
(a) West Indies.
(b) East Asia.
(c) Northern Star.
(d) Southern Cross.
6. Slocum left the island and prepared to sail to which country?
(a) South Africa.
(c) New Zealand.
7. Who was Slocum's special guest?
(a) Mrs. Stevenson.
(b) John Slocum.
(c) King of the islands.
(d) Captain Howard.
8. Slocum also taught the islanders about which of the following:
9. Who attempted to calm the people about Slocum's presence?
(d) Harbor Master.
10. Slocum talks about the unusual "rain of ____."
11. What was the name of the residence of that particular guest?
12. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
(b) Health resort.
(c) Mining town.
(d) Tourist trap.
13. What treat did Slocum share with the island children?
(d) Blackberry jam.
14. What was the name of the college the teachers represented?
(b) New Guinea.
15. What type of boats were mentioned by Slocum at this point?
(b) Cruise ships.
(c) Aircraft carriers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum docked in which port?
2. While on Keeling Cocos, Slocum took the time to do what to the Spray?
3. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
4. How many female students accompanied the teachers?
5. At which port did Slocum receive a warm welcome and special visit?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)