|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
(b) Hoa Lu.
2. Slocum docked in which port?
3. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
(a) May 26.
(b) July 27.
(c) March 16.
(d) October 3.
4. How long had it been since the king had lived up to his title?
(a) 75 years.
(b) 100 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 50 years.
5. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
(b) Health resort.
(c) Tourist trap.
(d) Mining town.
6. Which of the following occupations does not apply to Slocum's new admirer?
(d) Harbor master.
7. The item built by the islanders was placed in which location?
(a) Snug Bay.
(b) Opera House.
(c) Governor's mansion.
(d) Main cove.
8. What is the name of the king's daughter?
9. What was the fattest animal on the island?
10. Which of the following is the religious figure mentioned in the text?
11. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
12. All visitors to _____ are required to be examined by a doctor.
(b) St. Thomas.
13. What was the name of the residence of that particular guest?
14. Who was Slocum's special guest?
(a) Mrs. Stevenson.
(b) Captain Howard.
(c) John Slocum.
(d) King of the islands.
15. Slocum was pleased to introduce the islanders to which of the following:
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did Slocum use to describe Keeling Cocos?
2. What was the name of the nearby town?
3. What type of bird greeted Slocum as he approached Keeling Cocos?
4. Slocum was surprised to receive a ____ pound note from a woman who felt sympathy for the sailor.
5. Slocum discusses his trip to which island named after a day of the week?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)