|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum was thrilled to know that he was in the same area that had been inhabited by which of the following?
(a) The Howells.
(b) Robinson Crusoe.
(c) Dr. Livingston.
(d) Swiss Family Robinson.
2. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
3. Slocum says that he had _____ to keep him company.
(a) Coral reefs.
4. Which of the following occupations does not apply to Slocum's new admirer?
(b) Harbor master.
5. How many female students accompanied the teachers?
6. Who was Slocum's special guest?
(a) John Slocum.
(b) Mrs. Stevenson.
(c) Captain Howard.
(d) King of the islands.
7. What was the name of the college the teachers represented?
(b) New Guinea.
8. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
9. At which port did Slocum receive a warm welcome and special visit?
10. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
(a) March 16.
(b) July 27.
(c) May 26.
(d) October 3.
11. At first the children thought the treat was:
(a) Whale blubber.
(b) Building material.
(c) Coal tar.
(d) A strange rock.
12. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
(a) West Indies.
(b) Northern Star.
(c) East Asia.
(d) Southern Cross.
13. How long had it been since the king had lived up to his title?
(a) 75 years.
(b) 100 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 50 years.
14. Slocum docked in which port?
15. Slocum talks about the unusual "rain of ____."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "Pilot of Keeling Cocos?"
2. Which legendary captain is the topic of a lecture delivered by Slocum?
3. What group of islands was next on Slocum's route?
4. How many head teachers were greeted by Slocum?
5. What common item was the real cause of the rain?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)