|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum managed to make money off of which sea creature?
2. What is the "Pilot of Keeling Cocos?"
3. Slocum also taught the islanders about which of the following:
4. The item built by the islanders was placed in which location?
(a) Opera House.
(b) Main cove.
(c) Governor's mansion.
(d) Snug Bay.
5. Who attempted to calm the people about Slocum's presence?
(b) Harbor Master.
6. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
7. What was the name of the college the teachers represented?
(c) New Guinea.
8. How many wise men approached Slocum hoping to learn that the world was really flat?
9. Slocum was thrilled to know that he was in the same area that had been inhabited by which of the following?
(a) The Howells.
(b) Robinson Crusoe.
(c) Swiss Family Robinson.
(d) Dr. Livingston.
10. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
(a) East Asia.
(b) West Indies.
(c) Northern Star.
(d) Southern Cross.
11. What treat did Slocum share with the island children?
(a) Blackberry jam.
12. Who was Slocum's special guest?
(a) John Slocum.
(b) King of the islands.
(c) Mrs. Stevenson.
(d) Captain Howard.
13. Which of the following is not one of the islands described by Slocum at this part in the journey?
14. What is the name of the king's daughter?
15. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
(a) Tourist trap.
(c) Health resort.
(d) Mining town.
Short Answer Questions
1. All visitors to _____ are required to be examined by a doctor.
2. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
3. What word did Slocum use to describe Keeling Cocos?
4. What type of crew member did Slocum get just before sailing onward?
5. The king was often referred to as the King of ______.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)