|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum came across a shipwreck which he believed to be caused by which of the following:
(a) Changing currents.
(c) Torn hull.
2. The king was often referred to as the King of ______.
(d) The Great Spirit.
3. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
4. Many times visitors were required to be ______ for a time.
(c) Slave labor.
5. How long did Slocum stay at St. Kilda?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 1 month.
6. Who was Slocum's special guest?
(a) John Slocum.
(b) Captain Howard.
(c) Mrs. Stevenson.
(d) King of the islands.
7. Slocum was surprised to receive a ____ pound note from a woman who felt sympathy for the sailor.
8. Slocum was pleased to introduce the islanders to which of the following:
9. Which ocean was Slocum prepared to traverse at this point?
10. What was the name of the nearby town?
11. The trip would take Slocum to which famous island?
12. What was the name of the college the teachers represented?
(c) New Guinea.
13. Slocum was asked to pay respects from the king to which publication?
(a) Missionary Review.
(b) Island Traveler.
(d) Atlantic Monthly.
14. How many female students accompanied the teachers?
15. Slocum was happy to meet another American who worked as a ______.
(a) Harbor master.
(b) Fishing boat guide.
(c) Salvage wrecker.
(d) Pearl diver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interviewed Slocum when he reached South Africa?
2. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
3. What type of crew member did Slocum get just before sailing onward?
4. What type of bird greeted Slocum as he approached Keeling Cocos?
5. Which of the following is not one of the islands described by Slocum at this part in the journey?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)