|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take to reach the next port?
(a) 43 days.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 36 hours.
(d) 21 days.
2. Slocum managed to make money off of which sea creature?
3. Slocum was asked to pay respects from the king to which publication?
(a) Atlantic Monthly.
(b) Missionary Review.
(c) Island Traveler.
4. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
5. At first the children thought the treat was:
(a) Building material.
(b) Whale blubber.
(c) Coal tar.
(d) A strange rock.
6. What type of boats were mentioned by Slocum at this point?
(b) Cruise ships.
(c) Aircraft carriers.
7. What type of celebration did Slocum attend?
(c) Christmas party.
8. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
9. The man routinely preached about ______.
(b) The Antichrist.
10. What word did Slocum use to describe Keeling Cocos?
11. Slocum says that he had _____ to keep him company.
(a) Coral reefs.
12. Slocum was happy to meet another American who worked as a ______.
(a) Salvage wrecker.
(b) Fishing boat guide.
(c) Pearl diver.
(d) Harbor master.
13. What gift did Slocum receive from Foy?
(b) Food supplies.
14. While on Keeling Cocos, Slocum took the time to do what to the Spray?
15. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
(c) Hoa Lu.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Slocum stay in that particular port?
2. How long did Slocum stay at St. Kilda?
3. Slocum left the island and prepared to sail to which country?
4. Slocum discusses his trip to which island named after a day of the week?
5. What common item was the real cause of the rain?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)