|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Benji do when Melanie, at a young age, suggested they get married?
2. Who is dating Erica?
3. What question does everyone ask at the bonfire?
4. How does Melanie act the day after she and Benji make out?
5. What kind of music does the local radio station play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Benji only realize in retrospect about his father's haircuts?
2. Why are people under the age of 19 not allowed at the Lisa Lisa concert?
3. Why is Benji embarrassed about his music choices?
4. How does Benji try to avoid making his father angry?
5. How is Benji feeling when he hears his parents pull into the driveway in Chapter 7?
6. Why does Melanie leave Sag Harbor when she's younger?
7. What did Benji's parents do for a living?
8. How do Benji's neighbors act when they learn his father is BBQing?
9. What do Benji and his friends think of the bonfire?
10. Why is it problematic for Benji to have a crush on Erica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the tone of the novel and discuss 3 literary devices that Whitehead uses to create that tone.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least one female character from "Sag Harbor" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "Sag Harbor" that could have been easily carried over into a second novel about Benji's summers in Sag Harbor.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)