|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does NP plan to bribe one of the bouncers at the concert?
2. How do NP and the others get home after they can't get into the concert?
3. What other group was coming to Sag Harbor?
4. How does Melanie act the day after she and Benji make out?
5. What does Benji do to the radio before leaving the house in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Benji's make-out session with Melanie so awkward afterward?
2. What does Benji only realize in retrospect about his father's haircuts?
3. What do Benji and his friends think of the bonfire?
4. What causes Benji to realize his father's BBQ isn't all that he remembered it to be?
5. What did Benji's parents do for a living?
6. How does Reggie try to avoid making his father angry?
7. Why is Benji embarrassed about his music choices?
8. Why do Benji and his friends stop watching the races in Chapter 8?
9. What is Benji thinking about one Saturday morning in Chapter 5?
10. What makes Benji feel extra proud about being able to sneak into the Lisa Lisa concert in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author, like Whitehead, faces when having a novel take place during a specific decade from the past (e.g., the 1980s). Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Sag Harbor" to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the tone of the novel and discuss 3 literary devices that Whitehead uses to create that tone.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-written essay, discuss the role that Benji's father plays in the novel and at least one major benefit and challenge for Whitehead in including him.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)