|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Benji's father act when he is drinking?
2. What is Benji's opinion of Melanie in the first few minutes after they meet again in Chapter 7?
3. Whom do the members of the band talk to on the day of their concert?
4. What instructions are the children given about the bonfire?
5. Which word best describes Benji's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Benji and his friends think of the bonfire?
2. How do Benji's neighbors act when they learn his father is BBQing?
3. What kinds of things does Benji imagine needing for the school year as he lies in bed in Chapter 8?
4. How does the older Benji look back at the Lisa Lisa concert?
5. What makes Benji's old house so familiar when he breaks in?
6. How does Reggie try to avoid making his father angry?
7. According to Benji in Chapter 5, why was The Cosby Show so groundbreaking?
8. How does Benji try to avoid making his father angry?
9. Why do Benji and his friends stop watching the races in Chapter 8?
10. Why is it problematic for Benji to have a crush on Erica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whitehead uses to create humor in "Sag Harbor."
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least one female character from "Sag Harbor" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Whitehead uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)