|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Melanie dating?
2. What instructions are the children given about the bonfire?
3. How do Benji and his friends hide their beer in the forest?
4. Where do the members of the band go on the day of their concert?
5. What is the full name of the band that came to Sag Harbor in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people under the age of 19 not allowed at the Lisa Lisa concert?
2. How does Benji try to avoid making his father angry?
3. How does Benji feel about his future as the novel concludes?
4. What kinds of things does Benji imagine needing for the school year as he lies in bed in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Melanie leave Sag Harbor when she's younger?
6. How is Benji feeling when he hears his parents pull into the driveway in Chapter 7?
7. Why is Benji's make-out session with Melanie so awkward afterward?
8. Why is Benji embarrassed about his music choices?
9. What makes Benji feel extra proud about being able to sneak into the Lisa Lisa concert in Chapter 6?
10. What does Benji only realize in retrospect about his father's haircuts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Benji's family's drive out to Sag Harbor 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Benji that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 4 ways "Sag Harbor" would be different if the protagonist were female.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 aspects of "Sag Harbor" that make the novel believable as well as what literary devices Whitehead uses to create that level of believability.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)