|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Benji think about his upcoming year as the summer concludes?
2. How did Benji get a ticket to the concert at Sag Harbor?
3. What is Reggie's schedule during the weekends most of the time?
4. How does Benji's mother resolve the argument between herself and Benji's father during the BBQ?
5. How does Benji see the headlights pull into the driveway of his old house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Melanie jumps off the roof as she and Benji are escaping from Benji's old house in Chapter 7?
2. What is Benji thinking about one Saturday morning in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Melanie return to Sag Harbor in Chapter 7?
4. What does Benji only realize in retrospect about his father's haircuts?
5. What does NP get one of the members of Lisa Lisa to promise in Jonni Waffle?
6. What makes Benji's old house so familiar when he breaks in?
7. What do Benji and Melanie talk about during their walk in Chapter 7?
8. How does the older Benji look back at the Lisa Lisa concert?
9. What causes Benji to realize his father's BBQ isn't all that he remembered it to be?
10. How does Reggie try to avoid making his father angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 features of Benji and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a teenager/young adult.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the tone of the novel and discuss 3 literary devices that Whitehead uses to create that tone.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author, like Whitehead, faces when having a novel take place during a specific decade from the past (e.g., the 1980s). Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Sag Harbor" to support your position.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)