|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does NP want to bring to the concert?
2. What did Benji think of his father's haircuts when he was little?
3. What did Benji think of the concert at the time?
4. What does Benji's father get annoyed about with Benji's mother during the BBQ?
5. What does Benji's family spend a great deal of time trying *not* to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people under the age of 19 not allowed at the Lisa Lisa concert?
2. Why do Benji and his friends stop watching the races in Chapter 8?
3. How does Benji feel about his future as the novel concludes?
4. How does the older Benji look back at the Lisa Lisa concert?
5. Why does Melanie leave Sag Harbor when she's younger?
6. Why is it problematic for Benji to have a crush on Erica?
7. According to Benji in Chapter 5, why was The Cosby Show so groundbreaking?
8. What does NP get one of the members of Lisa Lisa to promise in Jonni Waffle?
9. What kinds of things does Benji imagine needing for the school year as he lies in bed in Chapter 8?
10. What makes Benji feel extra proud about being able to sneak into the Lisa Lisa concert in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices Whitehead uses within the first 2 chapters to help the reader better understand Benji as both a character and the protagonist. Make sure to use examples and/or quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Benji and Randy. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text, such as examples and quotations, to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 3 things that Whitehead is able to do with the character of Benji because he is a teenager AND at least 3 things he is not able to do with him because he is a teenager.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)