|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Melanie living when Benji meets her in Chapter 7?
2. How do Melanie and Benji sneak out of Benji's old house?
3. What is the title of Chapter 5?
4. What does Benji do to the radio before leaving the house in Chapter 7?
5. What game does Melanie remember playing with Benji when they were little kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goes wrong with NP's plan to get into the Lisa Lisa concert?
2. What is Benji most concerned with when it comes to the beer in the forest?
3. What do Benji and his friends think of the bonfire?
4. What kinds of things does Benji imagine needing for the school year as he lies in bed in Chapter 8?
5. How does Benji feel about his future as the novel concludes?
6. How does Benji try to avoid making his father angry?
7. What do Benji and Melanie talk about during their walk in Chapter 7?
8. What did Benji's parents do for a living?
9. Why are people under the age of 19 not allowed at the Lisa Lisa concert?
10. Who is Barry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Whitehead uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Benji's family's drive out to Sag Harbor 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Benji that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Benji is a good role model for young readers.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)