|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What large item does Barry also throw into the fire?
2. How do Melanie and Benji sneak out of Benji's old house?
3. How do all of Benji's friends feel about being able to sneak into the concert?
4. How old was Melanie when she first kissed Benji?
5. What is the title of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things does Benji imagine needing for the school year as he lies in bed in Chapter 8?
2. Why do Benji and his friends stop watching the races in Chapter 8?
3. How does Benji feel about his future as the novel concludes?
4. Why does Melanie return to Sag Harbor in Chapter 7?
5. How does Reggie try to avoid making his father angry?
6. Why is Benji embarrassed about his music choices?
7. What did Benji's parents do for a living?
8. What is Benji thinking about one Saturday morning in Chapter 5?
9. Why are people under the age of 19 not allowed at the Lisa Lisa concert?
10. What happens when Melanie jumps off the roof as she and Benji are escaping from Benji's old house in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 aspects of "Sag Harbor" that make the novel believable as well as what literary devices Whitehead uses to create that level of believability.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 negative aspects of having a protagonist as young and naive as Benji. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 literary devices Whitehead uses within the first 2 chapters to help the reader better understand Benji as both a character and the protagonist. Make sure to use examples and/or quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)