|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 7?
2. How do all of Benji's friends feel about being able to sneak into the concert?
3. Who suggests sneaking into Benji's old house?
4. What picture does Benji see that makes him realize how bad his father's haircuts were?
5. How old was Melanie when she first kissed Benji?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Melanie jumps off the roof as she and Benji are escaping from Benji's old house in Chapter 7?
2. What goes wrong with NP's plan to get into the Lisa Lisa concert?
3. What is Benji most concerned with when it comes to the beer in the forest?
4. How is Benji feeling when he hears his parents pull into the driveway in Chapter 7?
5. What kinds of things does Benji imagine needing for the school year as he lies in bed in Chapter 8?
6. What makes Benji's old house so familiar when he breaks in?
7. What makes Benji feel extra proud about being able to sneak into the Lisa Lisa concert in Chapter 6?
8. Why does Melanie return to Sag Harbor in Chapter 7?
9. What did Benji's parents do for a living?
10. Why is Benji's make-out session with Melanie so awkward afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices Whitehead uses within the first 2 chapters to help the reader better understand Benji as both a character and the protagonist. Make sure to use examples and/or quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least one female character from "Sag Harbor" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 aspects of "Sag Harbor" that make the novel believable as well as what literary devices Whitehead uses to create that level of believability.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)