|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the middle of the 19th century, how old was the English officer who was ordered to organize the building of a road from Colombo to Kandy?
2. Where was the school located that Michael first attended as a child?
3. How long was the tunnel where Mervyn threatened to commit suicide?
4. According to Aunt Dolly, where would wives meet their beaus?
5. How much cooler was it at the tea estate than it was in Colombo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Doris coach the three older children to do when Mervyn lapsed into one of his alcoholic states?
2. Why did it take so long to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
3. How did Lalla's father throw caution to the wind when he married a Dickman?
4. What did Lalla do when Shelton de Saram broke their engagement?
5. How did Mervyn deter Lalla from ravaging the garden at Kuttapitiya?
6. What was Michael's Aunt Dolly like?
7. How did Lalla die?
8. Why couldn't Mervyn stand Lalla?
9. Michael recorded sounds of the night in the jungle when he was in Ceylon. What did he hear when he played the tape back in Canada?
10. Why did Lalla come to Kuttapitiya when Michael and his family lived there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael said that wildlife stormed and crept into homes. Discuss how wildlife crept into homes and how they affected the occupants of those homes.
Essay Topic 2
Michael was given insight into his thought process by a friend. Discuss how Michael's thought process worked.
Essay Topic 3
Michael said that in Ceylon all classes of people gambled. Discuss the role of gambling in Ceylon.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)