|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would wake Michael and his siblings on the last estate where they lived as children?
2. At the time that Michael traveled to Ceylon, how old was his Aunt Dolly?
3. What did Willie first attempt to raise when he lived at Palm Lodge?
4. How many deer did Michael and his family see on the other side of the lake when they were showering in the jungle rain?
5. What was Mervyn's rank in the Ceylon Light Infantry when Michael was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mervyn nearly kill his three older children?
2. How did Mervyn deter Lalla from ravaging the garden at Kuttapitiya?
3. What did Doris coach the three older children to do when Mervyn lapsed into one of his alcoholic states?
4. Why did it take so long to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
5. What did Doris do when she was leaving Mervyn and he threw the car key into the tea bushes?
6. Why was it thought that Rene de Saram's husband was the victim of someone's charm?
7. How did Michael get a bath when he was five and attending a boarding school?
8. Why was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railroads after 1943?
9. What did Lalla do when Shelton de Saram broke their engagement?
10. What was Michael's mother doing when David Grenier drowned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael said that wildlife stormed and crept into homes. Discuss how wildlife crept into homes and how they affected the occupants of those homes.
Essay Topic 2
Michael indicated that resthouses were an old tradition in Ceylon. Discuss resthouses and the dispute concerning resthouses.
Essay Topic 3
Michael referred to Lalla as an eccentric. Discuss eccentricity and why Lala was considered to be eccentric.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)