|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What costume did Doris wear to the Galle Face Dance?
2. How long did it take Michael, Susan, and her husband to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
3. How much cooler was it at the tea estate than it was in Colombo?
4. How much did Michael's Aunt Dolly weigh?
5. What was Susan's husband's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rene de Saram do when one of her cows caught Rinderpest fever?
2. Why did it take so long to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
3. How did Mervyn nearly kill his three older children?
4. What did Doris do when she was leaving Mervyn and he threw the car key into the tea bushes?
5. Michael recorded sounds of the night in the jungle when he was in Ceylon. What did he hear when he played the tape back in Canada?
6. What did it take to build a road from Colombo to Kandy?
7. How did Lalla's father throw caution to the wind when he married a Dickman?
8. What did Doris love about Mervyn, even after the divorce?
9. What was Michael's Aunt Dolly like?
10. What happened to the eggs that Willie Gratiaen imported from Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael wrote that his life was shaped by what went on before him. Discuss why Michael believed his life was shaped by what went on before him.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of the poem, "Sweet Like a Crow," including the type of language, imagery, and figurative devices used by the poet.
Essay Topic 3
Michael indicated that resthouses were an old tradition in Ceylon. Discuss resthouses and the dispute concerning resthouses.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)