|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Michael say it would take for the tea estate to turn to jungle if it was left alone?
2. What would wake Michael and his siblings on the last estate where they lived as children?
3. How many feet did Michael and his companions climb in thirty miles when they drove to the tea estate?
4. How old was Lalla when she became a widow?
5. Where did Lalla claim she was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railroads after 1943?
2. How did Lalla die?
3. What was Michael's mother doing when David Grenier drowned?
4. Why did it take so long to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
5. What was Michael's Aunt Dolly like?
6. Michael recorded sounds of the night in the jungle when he was in Ceylon. What did he hear when he played the tape back in Canada?
7. How did Michael describe the only picture he had of his parents together?
8. What did Doris coach the three older children to do when Mervyn lapsed into one of his alcoholic states?
9. What did Lalla do when Shelton de Saram broke their engagement?
10. How did Lalla's father throw caution to the wind when he married a Dickman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lalla and Rene de Saram were friends who were neighbors and became widows. Compare Lalla and Rene.
Essay Topic 2
Michael wrote that his life was shaped by what went on before him. Discuss why Michael believed his life was shaped by what went on before him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mervyn's and Doris's courtship.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)