|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cows did Lalla and Rene have?
2. How far was it from Galle to Colombo?
3. When did Lalla die?
4. At the time that Michael traveled to Ceylon, how old was his Aunt Dolly?
5. How many deer did Michael and his family see on the other side of the lake when they were showering in the jungle rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rene de Saram do when one of her cows caught Rinderpest fever?
2. How did Michael get a bath when he was five and attending a boarding school?
3. Why was it thought that Rene de Saram's husband was the victim of someone's charm?
4. What did Lalla do when Shelton de Saram broke their engagement?
5. How did Lalla die?
6. What happened to the eggs that Willie Gratiaen imported from Australia?
7. How did Mervyn deter Lalla from ravaging the garden at Kuttapitiya?
8. What did Doris coach the three older children to do when Mervyn lapsed into one of his alcoholic states?
9. What did it take to build a road from Colombo to Kandy?
10. Where did Doris work after the divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael described Kuttapitiya, the last estate where he and his siblings lived as children. Discuss Kuttapitiya and the Ondaatje's life there.
Essay Topic 2
Mervyn struggled with dipsomania. Discuss dipsomania and how it affected Mervyn and his family.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how and why Michael decided to visit Ceylon.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)