|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lalla die?
2. How long was the tunnel where Mervyn threatened to commit suicide?
3. How much did Michael's Aunt Dolly weigh?
4. How old was Lalla when she received a small inheritance?
5. What flowers did Michael remember seeing on the last estate where he lived with his siblings?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mervyn was in his twenties, why did he stop a train ten miles out of Colombo?
2. Where did Doris work after the divorce?
3. How did Mervyn deter Lalla from ravaging the garden at Kuttapitiya?
4. What did Rene de Saram do when one of her cows caught Rinderpest fever?
5. What did a fortune-teller predict when Doris left Ceylon in 1949?
6. Why was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railroads after 1943?
7. Why couldn't Mervyn stand Lalla?
8. How did Michael describe the only picture he had of his parents together?
9. Why did Lalla come to Kuttapitiya when Michael and his family lived there?
10. What was Michael's mother doing when David Grenier drowned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Michael's purpose for writing "Running in the Family" and whether he achieved his purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Michael indicated that resthouses were an old tradition in Ceylon. Discuss resthouses and the dispute concerning resthouses.
Essay Topic 3
Michael said that wildlife stormed and crept into homes. Discuss how wildlife crept into homes and how they affected the occupants of those homes.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)