|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did men roll across the city?
2. When was the poem "Women Like You" written?
3. How much were bets on horse races if someone sat in the grandstand?
4. What dance was perfected on a rock at Gasanawa?
5. How old was Michael when he realized he had slipped past a childhood he had ignored and not understood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what condition, did a friend tell Michael that he seemed to know exactly what he wanted?
2. Describe the tombstone Michael and his family discovered in a church in Colombo.
3. In the introduction to Chapter 1, what nightmare did Michael experience?
4. What would people do after the races were over for the day?
5. Why was Noel Gratiaen sent down from Oxford after his first year?
6. Why did a Dutch governor's daughter appear as a ghost?
7. Why was it difficult for Mervyn's father to argue with Mervyn?
8. When did Michael's parents' generation grow up?
9. What happened at Philip Ondaatje's funeral?
10. Why did Mervyn take a short trip to Ireland when the university closed down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael described his paternal grandfather and his uncle. Compare Philip Ondaatje and Aelian Ondaatje.
Essay Topic 2
When Mervyn was drinking, Doris believed that getting him to stop drinking required total war. Discuss how Doris waged war against Mervyn's drinking.
Essay Topic 3
Michael wrote that his life was shaped by what went on before him. Discuss why Michael believed his life was shaped by what went on before him.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)