|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the introduction to Chapter 1, how long had there been a drought?
2. On their way to the December races, where would the Gasanawa group go swimming?
3. When the Gasanawa group went to the December races, what would they order on their way?
4. What type of flower did Lalla wear on her dress when she went to the races?
5. How many poisons did William Charles Ondaatje discover in Ceylon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the kabaragoya Michael and the children found dead on the beach.
2. What did Michael see in a dream when he was staying at a friend's house near Lake Ontario?
3. Describe the engagement ring that Mervyn bought for Doris and Gratiaen and how it was paid for.
4. Describe how a visitor would approach the old governor's house.
5. What transpired when Simon Ondaatje and his brothers would gather on Sunday mornings?
6. Why did a Dutch governor's daughter appear as a ghost?
7. What did Lalla look like when she was at the racetrack?
8. What did Mervyn use at Rock Hill to deter the snakes?
9. Describe the thalagoya.
10. Why did Mervyn take a short trip to Ireland when the university closed down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lalla and Rene de Saram were friends who were neighbors and became widows. Compare Lalla and Rene.
Essay Topic 2
During April and May, Michael's family would move to Nuwara Eliya. Compare Nuwara Eliya and Colombo.
Essay Topic 3
Michael and the children came upon a dead kabaragoya on the beach. Compare the kabaragoya and the thalagoya.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)