|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Mervyn sent to England to go to college?
2. How many poisons did William Charles Ondaatje discover in Ceylon?
3. In the introduction to Chapter 1, how long had there been a drought?
4. How old was Michael when he realized he had slipped past a childhood he had ignored and not understood?
5. What was the occupation of the first of Michael's ancestors to arrive in Ceylon?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Michael's parents' generation grow up?
2. Describe Michael's wildness at his farewell party.
3. Under what condition, did a friend tell Michael that he seemed to know exactly what he wanted?
4. What could Michael see and hear in his friend's house when he awoke from a dream?
5. Describe how a visitor would approach the old governor's house.
6. How did Michael eat the curry he had for lunch at the old governor's home?
7. Why was Noel Gratiaen sent down from Oxford after his first year?
8. What was the heat like in Colombo?
9. What did Michael see in a dream when he was staying at a friend's house near Lake Ontario?
10. What were the occupations of Simon Ondaatje and his brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael and the children came upon a dead kabaragoya on the beach. Compare the kabaragoya and the thalagoya.
Essay Topic 2
During April and May, Michael's family would move to Nuwara Eliya. Compare Nuwara Eliya and Colombo.
Essay Topic 3
When Mervyn was drinking, Doris believed that getting him to stop drinking required total war. Discuss how Doris waged war against Mervyn's drinking.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)