|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the fort, where the old governor's home was located?
2. How many ways were there to describe the smell of a durian fruit?
3. What type of birds did Michael hear and see on a tree outside the old governor's house?
4. How often would Philip Ondaatje travel to England?
5. How far could a thalagoya leap from a tree to the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mervyn take a short trip to Ireland when the university closed down?
2. How did Michael feel when he awoke from a friend's house near Lake Ontario?
3. How did Michael eat the curry he had for lunch at the old governor's home?
4. What did Mervyn use at Rock Hill to deter the snakes?
5. Describe the kabaragoya Michael and the children found dead on the beach.
6. Describe Michael's wildness at his farewell party.
7. Why was Noel Gratiaen sent down from Oxford after his first year?
8. What did Lalla look like when she was at the racetrack?
9. Why did a Dutch governor's daughter appear as a ghost?
10. Describe the thalagoya.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael said that wildlife stormed and crept into homes. Discuss how wildlife crept into homes and how they affected the occupants of those homes.
Essay Topic 2
Michael was given insight into his thought process by a friend. Discuss how Michael's thought process worked.
Essay Topic 3
Michael's siblings remembered the days before their parents divorced. Discuss the memories of Christopher, Janet, and Gillian and how those memories affected them.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)