|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take Michael, Susan, and her husband to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
(a) 5 hours.
(b) 4 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 3 hours.
2. How far apart were the resthouses in Ceylon?
(a) 20 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 25 miles.
(d) 15 miles.
3. Where did Doris and Mervyn go in Nuwara Eliya to try to repair their marriage?
(a) Grand Hotel.
4. In one of the stories about Mervyn's train escapade, what color were the dogs he was leading?
5. How old was Lalla when she became a widow?
(a) Almost 25.
(d) Not yet 30.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the English officer who was ordered to build a road from Colombo to Kandy when the road was finished?
2. According to Aunt Dolly, where would wives meet their beaus?
3. What was the name of the last estate that Michael and his siblings lived on as children?
4. Near where did David Grenier drown?
5. Where did Doris hold her breath and faint so that Mervyn would have to stop drinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Doris love about Mervyn, even after the divorce?
2. What did Lalla do when Shelton de Saram broke their engagement?
3. Why couldn't Mervyn stand Lalla?
4. How did Mervyn deter Lalla from ravaging the garden at Kuttapitiya?
5. What was Michael's Aunt Dolly like?
6. What did it take to build a road from Colombo to Kandy?
7. What did Doris do when she was leaving Mervyn and he threw the car key into the tea bushes?
8. Why was it thought that Rene de Saram's husband was the victim of someone's charm?
9. What did a fortune-teller predict when Doris left Ceylon in 1949?
10. Why did Lalla come to Kuttapitiya when Michael and his family lived there?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)