|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take Michael, Susan, and her husband to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 4 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 5 hours.
2. What was Mervyn's rank in the Ceylon Light Infantry when Michael was born?
3. To how many hospitals did Lalla dedicate her body after her death?
4. What profession did Lalla's brother Vere try to pursue?
5. How many bombs did Mervyn find on a train he hijacked?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Lalla when she became a widow?
2. How long was the tunnel where Mervyn threatened to commit suicide?
3. Where was the first place that Doris lived when she moved to England?
4. What was the name of the dog that the Ondaatjes had on the tea estate?
5. How old was the English officer who was ordered to build a road from Colombo to Kandy when the road was finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michael get a bath when he was five and attending a boarding school?
2. What did it take to build a road from Colombo to Kandy?
3. What did Rene de Saram do when one of her cows caught Rinderpest fever?
4. How did Lalla's father throw caution to the wind when he married a Dickman?
5. What happened to the eggs that Willie Gratiaen imported from Australia?
6. When Mervyn was in his twenties, why did he stop a train ten miles out of Colombo?
7. Why did it take so long to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
8. Where did Doris work after the divorce?
9. Michael recorded sounds of the night in the jungle when he was in Ceylon. What did he hear when he played the tape back in Canada?
10. Why was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railroads after 1943?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)