|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far apart were the resthouses in Ceylon?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 25 miles.
(c) 15 miles.
(d) 20 miles.
2. Where did Doris and Mervyn go in Nuwara Eliya to try to repair their marriage?
(c) Grand Hotel.
3. What type of vehicle did Mervyn drive when he nearly killed the three older children and himself?
4. Where did Doris hold her breath and faint so that Mervyn would have to stop drinking?
(a) Tissamaharama resthouse.
(b) Dambulla resthouse.
(c) Ambepussa resthouse.
(d) Kitulgala resthouse.
5. When was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railways?
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall was Michael's Aunt Dolly?
2. What was the name of the officer in the Ceylon Light Infantry that Mervyn terrified when he was in his twenties?
3. During the rainy season, how many hours a day would it rain at the tea estate?
4. Where did Lalla claim she was born?
5. At the time that Michael traveled to Ceylon, how old was his Aunt Dolly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michael describe the only picture he had of his parents together?
2. What did a fortune-teller predict when Doris left Ceylon in 1949?
3. How did Michael get a bath when he was five and attending a boarding school?
4. What did Lalla do when Shelton de Saram broke their engagement?
5. Why was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railroads after 1943?
6. What was Michael's mother doing when David Grenier drowned?
7. How did Lalla's father throw caution to the wind when he married a Dickman?
8. Why did Lalla come to Kuttapitiya when Michael and his family lived there?
9. What did it take to build a road from Colombo to Kandy?
10. What did Doris love about Mervyn, even after the divorce?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)