|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near where did David Grenier drown?
2. How far apart were the resthouses in Ceylon?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 20 miles.
(c) 15 miles.
(d) 25 miles.
3. How old was the English officer who was ordered to build a road from Colombo to Kandy when the road was finished?
4. Where was the first place that Doris lived when she moved to England?
(a) Leverstock Green.
(b) Lancaster Gate.
(c) North Finchley.
(d) Potters Crouch.
5. Who was David Grenier's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the section "The Passions of Lalla," where did Michael say his grandmother died?
2. How long did Michael say it would take for the tea estate to turn to jungle if it was left alone?
3. How long had Mervyn and Doris been married when she took him clothes after he stripped, jumped off a train, and rushed into the Kadugannawa tunnel?
4. How many bombs did Mervyn find on a train he hijacked?
5. When was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Michael's Aunt Dolly like?
2. Why was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railroads after 1943?
3. How did Lalla die?
4. Why couldn't Mervyn stand Lalla?
5. What was Michael's mother doing when David Grenier drowned?
6. What did a fortune-teller predict when Doris left Ceylon in 1949?
7. Why did Lalla come to Kuttapitiya when Michael and his family lived there?
8. What did it take to build a road from Colombo to Kandy?
9. What did Doris do when she was leaving Mervyn and he threw the car key into the tea bushes?
10. What did Rene de Saram do when one of her cows caught Rinderpest fever?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)