|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease did one of Rene's cows catch?
(a) Milk fever.
(b) Mad cow disease.
(c) Rinderpest fever.
2. When was Mervyn banned from the Ceylon Railways?
3. What profession did Lalla's brother Vere try to pursue?
4. What would wake Michael and his siblings on the last estate where they lived as children?
(a) A drum.
(b) A gong.
(c) A bell.
(d) A trumpet.
5. What type of vehicle did Mervyn drive when he nearly killed the three older children and himself?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal droppings surrounded the house on stilts in the jungle, where Michael and his family stayed?
2. In the middle of the 19th century, how old was the English officer who was ordered to organize the building of a road from Colombo to Kandy?
3. How far was it to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
4. In one of the stories about Mervyn's train escapade, how many dogs was he leading on ropes?
5. What year was the car that was in Aunt Dolly's garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mervyn nearly kill his three older children?
2. Michael recorded sounds of the night in the jungle when he was in Ceylon. What did he hear when he played the tape back in Canada?
3. What did Doris do when she was leaving Mervyn and he threw the car key into the tea bushes?
4. What did it take to build a road from Colombo to Kandy?
5. What did Lalla do when Shelton de Saram broke their engagement?
6. How did Mervyn deter Lalla from ravaging the garden at Kuttapitiya?
7. Why couldn't Mervyn stand Lalla?
8. What happened to the eggs that Willie Gratiaen imported from Australia?
9. Where did Doris work after the divorce?
10. What did Doris coach the three older children to do when Mervyn lapsed into one of his alcoholic states?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)