|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mervyn's favorite resthouse?
2. How old was Lalla when she received a small inheritance?
3. How far was it to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
(a) 105 miles.
(b) 100 miles.
(c) 80 miles.
(d) 75 miles.
4. As a teen, what song did Michael dance disgracefully to with girls?
(a) Sloop John B.
(b) Sea of Heartbreak.
(c) Harbour Lights.
(d) The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
5. How far was the car from the house when it stalled?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 1/2 mile.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) 1/4 mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of a dowry did the woman have that Lalla tried to get her brother to marry?
2. What was the name of Lalla's head milkman?
3. What was the name of the officer in the Ceylon Light Infantry that Mervyn terrified when he was in his twenties?
4. At the time that Michael traveled to Ceylon, how old was his Aunt Dolly?
5. What was the name of the last estate that Michael and his siblings lived on as children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michael get a bath when he was five and attending a boarding school?
2. Why did it take so long to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
3. How did Mervyn nearly kill his three older children?
4. How did Michael describe the only picture he had of his parents together?
5. What was Michael's Aunt Dolly like?
6. Why couldn't Mervyn stand Lalla?
7. What did Doris do when she was leaving Mervyn and he threw the car key into the tea bushes?
8. What did a fortune-teller predict when Doris left Ceylon in 1949?
9. Michael recorded sounds of the night in the jungle when he was in Ceylon. What did he hear when he played the tape back in Canada?
10. What did Doris coach the three older children to do when Mervyn lapsed into one of his alcoholic states?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)