|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Doris work after her divorce from Mervyn?
(a) Ceylon Continental.
(b) Galadari Hotel.
(c) Palm Village Hotel.
(d) Grand Oriental Hotel.
2. What profession did Lalla's brother Vere try to pursue?
3. How long had Mervyn and Doris been married when she took him clothes after he stripped, jumped off a train, and rushed into the Kadugannawa tunnel?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 6 years.
4. When did Lalla die?
(a) August 15, 1947.
(b) March 18, 1946.
(c) April 12, 1945.
(d) November 1, 1948.
5. When Michael went back to Ceylon and the tea estate, how many years had it been since his mother had been to the tea estate?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 35 years.
6. How old was Michael's mother when David Grenier died?
7. What gear was the car in when the transmission broke?
8. What poets did Doris enjoy?
(a) Browning and Crane.
(b) Tennyson and Yeats.
(c) Cather and Joyce.
(d) Arnold and Aiken.
9. What was the name of the dog that the Ondaatjes had on the tea estate?
10. What year was the car that was in Aunt Dolly's garden?
11. What would wake Michael and his siblings on the last estate where they lived as children?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A drum.
(c) A bell.
(d) A gong.
12. How much did Michael's Aunt Dolly weigh?
(a) 95 pounds.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 70 pounds.
(d) 105 pounds.
13. Near where did David Grenier drown?
14. How many bombs did Mervyn find on a train he hijacked?
15. Where did lightning strike the house on the tea estate?
(a) Near the fuse box.
(b) A back bedroom.
(c) Porch roof.
(d) The attic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Doris put in Spittel's Nursing Home?
2. Who was David Grenier's wife?
3. In one of the stories about Mervyn's train escapade, how many dogs was he leading on ropes?
4. What did Willie first attempt to raise when he lived at Palm Lodge?
5. How old was the English officer who was ordered to build a road from Colombo to Kandy when the road was finished?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)