|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take Michael, Susan, and her husband to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
(a) 6 hours.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 4 hours.
(d) 5 hours.
2. What was the name of the last estate that Michael and his siblings lived on as children?
3. How long did Michael say it would take for the tea estate to turn to jungle if it was left alone?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 4 years.
4. What was the name of the school nurse who was in charge of Michael and the other boys his age?
5. Where did Doris work after her divorce from Mervyn?
(a) Galadari Hotel.
(b) Palm Village Hotel.
(c) Ceylon Continental.
(d) Grand Oriental Hotel.
6. What was the name of Lalla's head milkman?
7. What disease did one of Rene's cows catch?
(a) Rinderpest fever.
(c) Milk fever.
(d) Mad cow disease.
8. As a teen, what song did Michael dance disgracefully to with girls?
(a) Harbour Lights.
(b) Sea of Heartbreak.
(c) The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
(d) Sloop John B.
9. How much cooler was it at the tea estate than it was in Colombo?
(a) 30 degrees.
(b) 15 degrees.
(c) 25 degrees.
(d) 20 degrees.
10. At the beginning of the section "The Passions of Lalla," where did Michael say his grandmother died?
(a) At a jacaranda tree.
(b) In her bed.
(c) In an automobile accident.
(d) On a boat.
11. Where did lightning strike the house on the tea estate?
(a) Near the fuse box.
(b) The attic.
(c) Porch roof.
(d) A back bedroom.
12. What year was the car that was in Aunt Dolly's garden?
13. What did Willie first attempt to raise when he lived at Palm Lodge?
14. How far was it to drive from Colombo to the tea estate?
(a) 105 miles.
(b) 100 miles.
(c) 80 miles.
(d) 75 miles.
15. What would wake Michael and his siblings on the last estate where they lived as children?
(a) A gong.
(b) A bell.
(c) A trumpet.
(d) A drum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did Michael play with Susan and her husband during a thunderstorm on the tea estate?
2. How far apart were the resthouses in Ceylon?
3. According to Aunt Dolly, where would wives meet their beaus?
4. How far did Michael say one could drive in Ceylon and be in a different landscape?
5. What was the name of the dog that the Ondaatjes had on the tea estate?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)