|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rusty-James' father get money?
2. Where is Rusty-James' apartment?
3. What does Rusty-James do the morning after he has gone to the lake with Smokey?
4. What do Rusty-James' father and Motorcycle Boy sometimes do that Rusty-James wishes they would not do?
5. What does Rusty-James have difficulty doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rusty-James resent Steve's presence on the beach?
2. In Chapter 7, why is Rusty-James afraid of Motorcycle Boy?
3. Why does Rusty-James not tell people that his father used to be a lawyer?
4. Why does Rusty-James steal hubcaps?
5. After locating a former gang member, what important fact does Rusty-James learn about Motorcycle Boy?
6. What dose Steve mean when he says that he cannot keep on thinking for Rusty-James?
7. What does Rusty-James' bad grammar and slang tell the reader about his character?
8. What does Rusty-James' father mean when he says, "Our marriage was a classic example of a preacher marrying an atheist, thinking to make a convert?"
9. Why does Motorcycle Boy tell Rusty-James not to tell anyone that a famous photographer took his picture?
10. What is the significance of Rusty-James' paying back money he has borrowed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Rusty-James' hero worship of his brother, Motorcycle Boy, valid? Does Motorcycle Boy warrant such devout worship from Rusty-James? Why or why not? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of Rusty-James' knife scar? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Rusty-James is the protagonist of "Rumble Fish." He may also be an anti-hero. Do you think he is a protagonist or anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)