|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rusty-James go to school the day after he is cut with a knife?
2. What does Patty do when a girl flirts with Rusty-James?
3. When Rusty-James goes home from school, who does he meet on the staircase?
4. To whose territory does Cleveland High School belong?
5. What does Rusty-James find to eat in the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about the river?
2. Why is Rusty-James upset that Steve has been beaten up?
3. In Chapter 2, with what does Steve try to get Rusty-James to confront and deal?
4. Why does Rusty-James not understand that Patty is mad that he fooed around with another girl at the lake?
5. How do the type of classes Rusty-James has in school impact his character?
6. In Chapter 9, how has Rusty-James' vision of Motorcycle Boy changed since the prior night?
7. What sets Motorcycle Boy apart from the others?
8. Why is Rusty-James expelled from school?
9. What does ordering chocolate milk from the counter at Benny's say about Rusty-James?
10. Why does Rusty-James dislike Cassandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of Motorcycle Boy's color blindness? Explain how the author uses this handicap to reveal aspects of his character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
At the onset of the flashback, gang violence has been all but stopped due to Motorcycle Boy. Rusty-James hangs on to the "rules" and becomes furious when the rules are broken. At the same time, Rusty-James wants to be like Motorcycle Boy. Explain how Rusty-James' actions contradict his goal. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Rusty-James' knife scar? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)