|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Rusty-James arrives at the guidance office?
2. When Patty breaks up with Rusty-James, what happens to his chest?
3. Which character's face is beaten into a bloody pulp by Rusty-James in the fight in the lot?
4. How old is Rusty-James at the onset of chapter two?
5. Why is Benny upset when the junior high school kids hang out at his place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is implied by the fact that Motorcycle Boy has not always been color blind?
2. In Chapter 7, why is Rusty-James afraid of Motorcycle Boy?
3. What angers Rusty-James when the others begin talking about Motorcycle Boy?
4. What does Rusty-James mean when he says that Motorcycle Boy is living in a glass bubble?
5. In Chapter 10, why does Rusty-James believe that everything has changed?
6. How does Rusty-James settle his problems?
7. Why does Rusty-James say that Coach Ryan likes him as he would a vicious dog?
8. What sets Motorcycle Boy apart from the others?
9. What does Motorcycle Boy mean when he tells Steve, "loyalty is his only vice?"
10. Why does Motorcycle Boy tell Rusty-James not to tell anyone that a famous photographer took his picture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Underage drinking, gambling, and smoking are a part of Rusty-James' everyday life. Analyze how these events alter Rusty-James' life and impact his interaction with those around him. How do these indulgences derail his life? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the novel set the tone?
Part 1) How does Steve's arrival promote the tone of the novel at the beginning?
Part 2) How does Steve's mentioning Rusty-James' resemblance to someone enhance the tone set forth at the onset of the novel?
Part 3) How does Rusty-James' forgetfulness set up the suspense?
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret the meaning of Motorcycle Boy's comment that he "never crossed the river" when asked if he saw the ocean in California. How does this exemplify the Motorcycle Boy's life choices? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,486 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)