|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Benny upset when the junior high school kids hang out at his place?
2. What other character attends Cleveland High School?
3. Why does Rusty-James say his friends should come with him to meet Biff?
4. In Chapter 5, what worries Rusty-James when he arrives home after being out all night?
5. How much does someone offer Motorcycle Boy to kill someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rusty-James recognize about Motorcycle Boy when he sees some of Motorcycle Boy's old gang members?
2. What sets Motorcycle Boy apart from the others?
3. Why is Rusty-James expelled from school?
4. Why does Rusty-James say that Coach Ryan likes him as he would a vicious dog?
5. Why does Rusty-James' father believe that Motorcycle Boy is not crazy?
6. What does Rusty-James' father mean when he says, "Our marriage was a classic example of a preacher marrying an atheist, thinking to make a convert?"
7. In Chapter 3, what does the apartment reveal about Rusty-James' family?
8. What reason does Rusty-James give in Chapter 4 for going to school?
9. Why is it important for Rusty-James to be with crowds of people?
10. What does Rusty-James' father do when he gets home in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in "Rumble Fish" is one of disappointment and negativity. Select one of the female characters (e.g., Cassandra, Patty, Motorcycle Boy's and Rusty-James' mom,) and define how their representation is a reflection of Rusty-James' attitude. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Is Rusty-James' hero worship of his brother, Motorcycle Boy, valid? Does Motorcycle Boy warrant such devout worship from Rusty-James? Why or why not? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
In"Rumble Fish," Rusty-James describes Steve as a sincere rabbit. What is the significance of the metaphor? What does it reveal about Steve as a character? What does the author want to convey about both Rusty-James and Steve? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)