|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, when Rusty-James arrives home the next morning, whom does his father say has gone looking for him?
2. Where does Biff want to meet Rusty-James?
3. What other character attends Cleveland High School?
4. Where is Rusty-James' apartment?
5. Who is Anita?
Short Essay Questions
1. What angers Rusty-James when the others begin talking about Motorcycle Boy?
2. How does the author create suspense?
3. What happens to Rusty-James when he is frisked by the police?
4. What is the importance of delaying the appearance of Motorcycle Boy until the third chapter?
5. Why does Rusty-James not understand that Patty is mad that he fooed around with another girl at the lake?
6. What does Rusty-James' bad grammar and slang tell the reader about his character?
7. What is Rusty-James' driving motivation?
8. In Chapter 9, how has Rusty-James' vision of Motorcycle Boy changed since the prior night?
9. Why is Motorcycle Boy hard of hearing and color blind?
10. In Chapter 2, with what does Steve try to get Rusty-James to confront and deal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the onset of the flashback, gang violence has been all but stopped due to Motorcycle Boy. Rusty-James hangs on to the "rules" and becomes furious when the rules are broken. At the same time, Rusty-James wants to be like Motorcycle Boy. Explain how Rusty-James' actions contradict his goal. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in "Rumble Fish" is one of disappointment and negativity. Select one of the female characters (e.g., Cassandra, Patty, Motorcycle Boy's and Rusty-James' mom,) and define how their representation is a reflection of Rusty-James' attitude. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Is Rusty-James' hero worship of his brother, Motorcycle Boy, valid? Does Motorcycle Boy warrant such devout worship from Rusty-James? Why or why not? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)