|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Rusty-James say Steve behaves?
2. In Chapter 6, who does Rusty-James visit when he arrives at school?
3. What profession is Steve pursuing?
4. What does Rusty-James find to eat in the apartment?
5. What does Cassandra show Rusty-James on her arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Rusty-James give in Chapter 4 for going to school?
2. What does Rusty-James' bad grammar and slang tell the reader about his character?
3. Why does Rusty-James feel that gangs are good despite what Steve and Motorcycle Boy tell him?
4. Why is Rusty-James frightened when Motorcycle Boy smiles after he tells him the picture was a good one?
5. Why is it important for Rusty-James to be with crowds of people?
6. What is important about the river?
7. What does Rusty-James do to make sure he is taken to the hospital by the police?
8. What does Motorcycle Boy mean when he tells Steve, "loyalty is his only vice?"
9. Why is it important for Rusty-James' friends to go to the vacant lot to watch him fight Biff?
10. Why does Rusty-James dislike Cassandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of Rusty-James' knife scar? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment is another theme that is integral to the storyline of "Rumble Fish." Choose one of the characters (e.g., Rusty-James, Steve, Motorcycle Boy, Rusty-James' father,) and analyze how he reacts to being abandoned throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Is Rusty-James' hero worship of his brother, Motorcycle Boy, valid? Does Motorcycle Boy warrant such devout worship from Rusty-James? Why or why not? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)