|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does someone offer Motorcycle Boy to kill someone?
2. Where has Rusty-James spent five years?
3. Who does Rusty-James meet from his past?
4. What does Coach Ryan offer Rusty-James?
5. What does Patty do when a girl flirts with Rusty-James?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rusty-James resent Steve's presence on the beach?
2. What angers Rusty-James when the others begin talking about Motorcycle Boy?
3. What does Rusty-James' father mean when he says, "Our marriage was a classic example of a preacher marrying an atheist, thinking to make a convert?"
4. Why does Rusty-James not understand the conversation his father and Motorcycle Boy have about Cassandra?
5. Why is Motorcycle Boy hard of hearing and color blind?
6. What is important about Steve's behavior in the city in Chapter 7?
7. What does Rusty-James mean when he says that Motorcycle Boy is living in a glass bubble?
8. After locating a former gang member, what important fact does Rusty-James learn about Motorcycle Boy?
9. What does ordering chocolate milk from the counter at Benny's say about Rusty-James?
10. Why does Smokey believe he would be president of a gang and Rusty-James would be a lieutenant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Rumble Fish" is told using a frame, a story in which the main story takes place in the past and is introduced and concluded by chapters set in the present. What it the purpose of using a frame story, and how is it effective in "Rumble Fish?"
Essay Topic 2
At the onset of the flashback, gang violence has been all but stopped due to Motorcycle Boy. Rusty-James hangs on to the "rules" and becomes furious when the rules are broken. At the same time, Rusty-James wants to be like Motorcycle Boy. Explain how Rusty-James' actions contradict his goal. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Is Rusty-James' hero worship of his brother, Motorcycle Boy, valid? Does Motorcycle Boy warrant such devout worship from Rusty-James? Why or why not? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)