|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rusty-James find to eat in the apartment?
2. What do Rusty-James' father and Motorcycle Boy sometimes do that Rusty-James wishes they would not do?
3. When Motorcycle Boy leaves, why is Rusty-James afraid?
4. Why does Rusty-James slam his fist onto the table?
5. What bothers Rusty-James about the situation with Biff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rusty-James not understand that Patty is mad that he fooed around with another girl at the lake?
2. Why does Steve worry about everyone coming to witness the fight between Rusty-James and Biff?
3. What is the significance of Rusty-James' paying back money he has borrowed?
4. Why does Steve think people in the neighborhood will have a heart attack if Rusty-James goes home?
5. In Chapter 10, why does Rusty-James think that Patty still loves him?
6. Why does Rusty-James resent Steve's presence on the beach?
7. What does Rusty-James mean when he says that Motorcycle Boy is living in a glass bubble?
8. Why does Rusty-James dislike Cassandra?
9. Why does Smokey believe that no one will follow Rusty-James into a knife fight?
10. What is Rusty-James' driving motivation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of alienation is prevalent throughout the novel. Select one of the major characters and explain how they experience alienation, and in what manner. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Steve is Rusty-James' best friend and confidante, but he is also Rusty-James' foil. Explain how Steve is the opposite of, or the foil to, Rusty-James' character.
Essay Topic 3
How does the perspective of distance between the past and the present affect the main protagonist, Rusty-James? Analyze how Rusty-James' character has/has not changed during the five years since the night of the knife fight.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)