|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rusty-James say Steve is his best friend?
(a) Steve is smart.
(b) Steve is rich.
(c) He does not have to pretend to be the toughest cat in town with Steve.
(d) Steve needs him.
2. What does Motorcycle Boy classify as dope?
3. What does Motorcycle Boy tell Rusty-James scares him about their mother?
(a) That she will go away again.
(b) That Rusty-James' mother is alive in California.
(c) That she loves him.
(d) That she will hurt him.
4. Why does Rusty-James' mother marry his father?
(a) Because she is pregnant.
(b) Because she is in love.
(c) Because she is sad.
(d) Because it is fun.
5. What does Rusty-James hope will happen if he does not see Steve again?
(a) He will forget.
(b) He will miss him.
(c) He will remember more.
(d) He will sleep better.
6. Where does Rusty-James spend the rest of the day after he leaves Steve's?
(a) At home.
(b) At a bar.
(c) At Benny's.
(d) At school.
7. How does Rusty-James think of Steve now?
(a) He is crazy.
(b) He is a stranger.
(c) He is still the same.
(d) He is boring.
8. To what is Motorcycle Boy referring when he says, "...is like a beautiful wild kid on heroin, high as a kite and thinking she's on top of the world, not knowing she's dying, not believing it even if you show her the marks."
(c) His mother.
9. If there were still gangs, why does Smokey believe he would be president of a gang?
(a) He is a better fighter.
(b) He is wealthier.
(c) He is smarter than Rusty-James.
(d) He is a bigger boy.
10. Who sits down and talks to Rusty-James before going into Benny's?
(a) Motorcycle Boy.
11. About what does Rusty-James tell everyone at Benny's?
(a) His wild night across the river.
(b) His expulsion from school.
(c) His father's old profession.
(d) His head injury.
12. Who does Steve say is "just like a ball in a pinball machine?"
(b) Motorcycle Boy.
13. Who steps out of the darkness with a tire iron?
(c) Motorcycle Boy.
(d) One black and one white guy.
14. After leaving the pet store, what does Motorcycle Boy do when he and Rusty-James get home?
(a) He reads.
(b) He yells at Rusty-James.
(c) He eats dinner.
(d) He goes to sleep.
15. Who does Steve say is "just like someone out of a book?"
(a) Motorcycle Boy.
(b) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on the beach, to what does Rusty-James listen as Steve talks?
2. To whose house does Rusty-James go after leaving the drugstore?
3. What kind of temper does Rusty-James usually have?
4. In the present, what does Steve invite Rusty-James to do as he stands on the beach?
5. What happens to Rusty-James when he discovers Motorcycle Boy is dead?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)